face mask

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• face mask

Do you wear face masks all the time when you weld or only when you are doing stick. thanks, if so just one of the welding paper type. Just hobby stuff, I know comercial guys probably have full body suits sometime. kevin
    millermaitc 200
    Lincoln square wave 350
    plasma cutter
    o&A

I am bad on not wearing a helmet esp when tacking with a mig. I know its wrong and you can get burned real bad by not wearing one. There has been a few times where i was burned bad enough my skin peeled. I did dig up an old helmet just to tack with...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

The guys on Orange County Choppers are idiots and strictly for show. Don't copy the way the try to weld w/out a hood. If you value your eyes and face don't weld w/out a hood. You need more than just eye protection since the arc will burn your skin just like a sunburn. Mig is no different than stick in that respect. I'm not sure that I've seen a welding hood (face shield) made of paper. That doesn't sound too great to me since paper burns.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc View Post
        Do you wear face masks all the time when you weld or only when you are doing stick. thanks, if so just one of the welding paper type. Just hobby stuff, I know comercial guys probably have full body suits sometime. kevin
        I use a North 7190-N99 welding particulate mask whenever I'm welding fluxcore and stick or grinding. My lungs thank me for it.

They're cheap and very effective.
        Bobcat 225NT
        Cutmaster 52
        Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
        Caterpillar TH63
        '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I do believe the OP is inquiring about Dust/Particle/Fume masks...

not Welding hoods/Masks

I think I use the same ones as Bret.

The "paper" ones are just about useless.
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

thanks I was talking about face respirators. SO regular tig or mig on mild clean steel doesn't really have a risk for fumes? Its just they put the safety warnings on everything. I am trying to get used to wearing a good face mask while doing most dirty work, but the one I use won't fit under the face shield, the north ones look good. Is there a 3m equal, they are more available here. I would guess if it says for welding you would be ok. thanks again for the replies. kevin
            millermaitc 200
            Lincoln square wave 350
            plasma cutter
            o&A

Comment

The 3m respirator you want is the 6000 or 7500 series. I have the 6000 and it fits under both a Miller Elite and Fiber-Metal Tiger Hood. It's still a good idea to have adequate ventilation when you are welding. You never know what kind of impurities are in (or on) your material.
              "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc View Post
                SO regular tig or mig on mild clean steel doesn't really have a risk for fumes?
                It's not that, it's just particulate filters are useless against fumes from "clean" processes like GTAW and GMAW. for that you need some active processing, like activated charcoal.

Attached is a new filter element and one after 8 hours of .035 E71T
                Attached Files
                Bobcat 225NT
                Cutmaster 52
                Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                Caterpillar TH63
                '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Respirators

Originally posted by jasonspoon View Post
                  The 3m respirator you want is the 6000 or 7500 series. I have the 6000 and it fits under both a Miller Elite and Fiber-Metal Tiger Hood. It's still a good idea to have adequate ventilation when you are welding. You never know what kind of impurities are in (or on) your material.
                  Jason: You answered my question! I've been using the 3m-8233 N100, but for a few $$$ more, I can get a "real" one. The refills are about the cost of the disposable, just wasn't sure of the fit under the hood. Cyberweld's got them for about $20.

Thanks

Dave
                  "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Dave,

I think the 7500 series is the same fit, but with a more comfortable silicone mask.
                    "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Working...
                    X