Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backpurging pipe HELP GUYS

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpurging pipe HELP GUYS

Hey guys my name is Ryan and I am an aviation tig welder and fabricator of custom turbo kits on the side. I do A LOT of pipe welding and I REALLLLY need to find plugs I can use for the ends of my tubing to backpurge with and I do not have the time to make them and I know someone out there makes them. I searched and searched and couldnt find anything please help me out. Thx guys
    Ryan.

P.S. the pipe im welding is 1.25/1.5/2.0" ID

SS Pipe

Teglove2: There's 3 Forum members that might be able to help you. KB Fabrication, Turbo38t, and Fusionking all work with stainless (pretty sure). If nothing else, send them a PM if you don't hear from them soon. I'm sure there are many others, but these 3 come to my mind "right off the bat."

Good Luck

Dave

Comment

If I don't have the right size plug I break out the masking tape and paper .

Comment

A plastic end cap off of the pipe that the manufacturer sends the pipe wth works well if the end to purge has no flange to interfere wth.Other options are purge paper,cardboard,foil or maskin tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
          If I don't have the right size plug I break out the masking tape and paper .
          That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are
          Originally posted by Teglove2
          an aviation tig welder and fabricator of custom turbo kits on the side
          then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

http://www.cob-industries.com/argweld.htm

Comment

thx for the quick replys fellas but nothing that was said can help me...the tubing gets VERY HOT and I cannot use any sort of tape I need metal plugs with holes I saw a guy on a honda forum that builds manifolds and he had a billet plug and thats what I need but in 3 sizes like stated above. Tape is also too weak and when I put the argon line in the tape the weight of the line itself tears the tape and leaves a nasty residue thats very hard to get off.

Comment

Cut two sheet metal disks (22Ga or so) a little larger than OD of tube

Notch edge in a dozen or so places to form tabs

Bend tabs over to fit the OD of the tube

(you can also notch and bend to fit ID)

Drill hole in center of one disk for hose fitting.

Stick one over each end of the tubing (if needed, squeeze a couple of the tabs tighter to hold in place, or use a hose clamp over the tabs) and turn on the gas.

You don't need or want a tight fit... if there isn't the ability for some venting, pressure buildup will make closing up nearly impossible. If there is too much leakage, wrap (or stuff into the ends under the caps) some kaowool to cut it down.

Low flow rates fed from the bottom are better (less mixing while purging)

Comment

Originally posted by enlpck View Post
                Cut two sheet metal disks (22Ga or so) a little larger than OD of tube

Notch edge in a dozen or so places to form tabs

Bend tabs over to fit the OD of the tube

(you can also notch and bend to fit ID)

Drill hole in center of one disk for hose fitting.

Stick one over each end of the tubing (if needed, squeeze a couple of the tabs tighter to hold in place, or use a hose clamp over the tabs) and turn on the gas.

You don't need or want a tight fit... if there isn't the ability for some venting, pressure buildup will make closing up nearly impossible. If there is too much leakage, wrap (or stuff into the ends under the caps) some kaowool to cut it down.

Low flow rates fed from the bottom are better (less mixing while purging)
                More good advice but the OP said he doesn't have the time to make anything. Anywho, commercial products like this are easy to find but you have to know what to type into a search engine.

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...x&cPath=10_616

ROFLMAO, hold onto your wallet.

Comment

Of course, I SHOULD mention that pretty much all I use is aluminum foil. Slap it over the end and squeeze. Then again, I don't have the need to purge very often. A length of brake line (I think its brake line... looks like brake line and the same size) on the end on the hose bends whatever way needed to hang the hose off the work, and is also heat resistant, and the foil squeezes over this as well as a plain end.

Comment

Lets see,

Speed tape

heavy duty alluminum foil (use some safety wire to secure if necessary)

Take some scrap pipe and pound annealed aluminum over the end to make a cap

cap a piece of scrap pipe, grind a taper in it and tap it into the hole

Find a machine shop

fiberglass cloth

steel wool?

If the hose is melting shove a piece of soft copper in it and bend the copper into a hook.

As a Fabricator, this is really something you should make to suit your needs. If you want to buy it your certainly entitled but its something like a chef ordering out. Hope you don't take that the wrong way!

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                      That's really all you need. Argon so readily displaces atmosphere that setting up a purge is not difficult at all. In fact, You don't want any kind of airtight seal as it would negate the positive pressure that a little "leaking" will provide. Lots of times I will just use a spring clamp to attach the argon hose inside a tube and then just tape around the whole thing. Blue painters tape works very well as it leaves no residue behind. Of course, that is dependent on how close you are to the seam but aluminum foil works equally as well.

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you mean!!

Comment

If you really are then this should be a no-brainer. If you really need to have some off the shelf products for your application and have plenty of cash, you might try a google search.

D@MN KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!

Comment

WOW KB!! You hit the nail on the head with THAT link!! I thought it was $20 for a bunch, but when I went to the price list, I saw what you meant!!

Comment

One loaf of french bread will make about a dozen custom-fit header backpurging plugs. It's porous, non-hazardous, flame retardant, conforms to curves, leaves no glue residue, and it's dirt cheap. Another benefit is that if you have a weld where it would be difficult or impossible to remove the baffle afterward just flush the tubing with water and the bread will disintegrate and be harmlessly flushed away. Chore-Boy brand stainless scouring pads work well as dams too. Under $2 at almost any supermarket. Pads

My backpurging hose is regular inert gas line with a short piece of steel fuel line press fit onto the end. I use a Harris 356 twin regulator with two independent flowmeters (one for torch, one for purge) but some people just use a Y fitting and up their flow rate slightly to compensate for purging losses.

If you want a real backpurging dam, look at picture on the bottom left of page 40 and copy the design when you have some spare time to goof around.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf

Comment

"Italian Ingenuity or French Fantasia"

Originally posted by MR.57 View Post
                              One loaf of french bread will make about a dozen custom-fit header backpurging plugs. It's porous, non-hazardous, flame retardant, conforms to curves, leaves no glue residue, and it's dirt cheap. Another benefit is that if you have a weld where it would be difficult or impossible to remove the baffle afterward just flush the tubing with water and the bread will disintegrate and be harmlessly flushed away. Chore-Boy brand stainless scouring pads work well as dams too. Under $2 at almost any supermarket. Pads

My backpurging hose is regular inert gas line with a short piece of steel fuel line press fit onto the end. I use a Harris 356 twin regulator with two independent flowmeters (one for torch, one for purge) but some people just use a Y fitting and up their flow rate slightly to compensate for purging losses.

If you want a real backpurging dam, look at picture on the bottom left of page 40 and copy the design when you have some spare time to goof around.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf
                              With or without garlic and butter? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Very good idea, however!
                              Last edited by davedarragh; 12-26-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.