Inverter Type machine vs. Normal welding machine for MIG/TIG/ARC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Type machine vs. Normal welding machine for MIG/TIG/ARC

Hey everyone I have to ask what's the difference between an inverter type welding machine and a non-inverter type.
    What I have noticed is that inverter type welding machine draws less input current but other than that I don't know a thing. I have an inverter type MIG welding machine and tried it in aluminum. Oh man the result was a disaster. There was weld spatter everywhere on the workpiece and melted the workpiece right thru. My workpiece is an aluminum sheet 2-3mm thick BTW.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this problem? Is it with the machine or the setting of the machine? If its with the setting what will be the best setting for such an application? Thanks!

What machine are you using and what are your settings and the wire you are using and type of wire.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

We need more details to be able to help you. For all we know you're trying to weld aluminum with .045 solid wire and spray transfer
      Miller Shopmaster 300 CC/CV AC/DC
      S22A Wirefeed
      HF251D1 High Frequency Box
      Coolmate 3
      Miller Spectrum 625 Xtreme

Lincoln Idealarc 250 DC CC/CV
      LN-7 Wirefeed

Comment

I'll let some one more knowledgable explain the difference, but sounds like you weren't using the right polarity or you didn't clean the aluminum before trying to weld it.

Set it to AC, blance about 70% EN, and a place to start would be about 130 amps (if you have a foot pedal or some control)

Don't ball the tungsten on an inverter machine, a nice crayon looking point is perfect. use thoriated or anything besides pure tungsten as well.. then just pratice,
        Dynasty 200DX
        Hobart Handler 135
        Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
        Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
        Hypertherm Powermax 45
        Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

Turbo- he is using a MIG machine
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
            What machine are you using and what are your settings and the wire you are using and type of wire.

-Dan
            Actually I used a machine that we OEM from a manufacturer in China. I dont have any experience yet on using MIG machine so basically I know scratch about it.
            But some details I was able to gather. they were using .9mm Aluminum MIG wire. The wire feed rate was quite slow... does this affect the welding performance of the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by elektro View Post
              Hey everyone I have to ask what's the difference between an inverter type welding machine and a non-inverter type.
              What I have noticed is that inverter type welding machine draws less input current but other than that I don't know a thing. I have an inverter type MIG welding machine and tried it in aluminum. Oh man the result was a disaster. There was weld spatter everywhere on the workpiece and melted the workpiece right thru. My workpiece is an aluminum sheet 2-3mm thick BTW.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this problem? Is it with the machine or the setting of the machine? If its with the setting what will be the best setting for such an application? Thanks!
              Originally posted by elektro View Post
              Actually I used a machine that we OEM from a manufacturer in China. I dont have any experience yet on using MIG machine so basically I know scratch about it.
              But some details I was able to gather. they were using .9mm Aluminum MIG wire. The wire feed rate was quite slow... does this affect the welding performance of the machine?
              actually it's the MACHINE...you need one made in AMERICA
              seriously...you haven't told us "scratch" either!!!
              My advise would be to fiddle around with all the knobs untill it welds correctly Also read the manual. Search this website...it has all the answers you seek.
              If you are a cheap chinese welding machine importer then shame on you for coming here for answers IMO. If not then my mistake and sorry.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

electro is from the Philippines. Last I checked thats not one of the 50 (57) states.

I do agree that an American machine would do better.
                Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
                Miller 180 w/Autoset
                Old cutting torch on LPG

Comment

Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
                  electro is from the Philippines. Last I checked thats not one of the 50 (57) states.

I do agree that an American machine would do better.

Wierd, but when he posted that I don't believe he had put his location in yet because I looked for that very thing.
                  But if not I sincerely apologize

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                    actually it's the MACHINE...you need one made in AMERICA
                    seriously...you haven't told us "scratch" either!!!
                    My advise would be to fiddle around with all the knobs untill it welds correctly Also read the manual. Search this website...it has all the answers you seek.
                    If you are a cheap chinese welding machine importer then shame on you for coming here for answers IMO. If not then my mistake and sorry.
                    Yes, actually we are an importer of Chinese products and am not ashamed of it. We're already 25 years into the distribution of welding machines. But only last year that we started into the electronic type welding machines. Well I'm just trying to learn from others so next time we can improve our machine to perform to an acceptable quality compared to american welding machines.
                    I do believe that miller and nihonweld machines will be top class, but you see in the Philippines not a lot of people can afford to buy such expensive machines.
                    I'm very sorry if my posts lack info or hard to understand, that's why I'm a newbie welder.

Comment

Elektro, you can weld with a generic Chinese machine. I know, I have done it. But I will tell you that it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get good results because the generic Chinese machines do not control the electrical characteristics well enough to easily maintain a good arc. I understand that an American welder is out of reach, so here goes:

If you are welding aluminum, use the setting that provides the highest output voltage. Use pure argon shielding gas. Use the same polarity setting as you use for MIG welding steel. This is the OPPOSITE polarity you use for flux core welding of steel.

Use a fast wire feed speed. Use the smallest aluminum wire that will feed without tangling.

That should get you started, but welding is hard enough to learn as it is.

The reason they don't use experimental jets to teach new pilots how to fly is because it's already hard enough without equipment that's hard to control.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                      Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                      "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                      "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                      "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

re: chines welding machine vs. welds not coming out right....
                        Answer: You get what you pay for.....
                        I'm not late...
                        I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                          Elektro, you can weld with a generic Chinese machine. I know, I have done it. But I will tell you that it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get good results because the generic Chinese machines do not control the electrical characteristics well enough to easily maintain a good arc. I understand that an American welder is out of reach, so here goes:

If you are welding aluminum, use the setting that provides the highest output voltage. Use pure argon shielding gas. Use the same polarity setting as you use for MIG welding steel. This is the OPPOSITE polarity you use for flux core welding of steel.

Use a fast wire feed speed. Use the smallest aluminum wire that will feed without tangling.

That should get you started, but welding is hard enough to learn as it is.

The reason they don't use experimental jets to teach new pilots how to fly is because it's already hard enough without equipment that's hard to control.
                          Yeah maybe your right. Its going to be very hard to learn how to weld using these machines but you know Filipinos generally are quite good at welding even if they are not professionals or experts they learn fast and improvise if needed. So long as the boss says do the job then they'd do it by any means possible.
                          Anyway thanks man for giving me a little info on how to start practicing. Hope I can learn more with what you had adviced.

Comment

I work with Filipinos all the time (Hawaii of course) and teach the kids too....
                            The ones I work with, awesome workers and weldors...hope their kids pick up their fathers work habits after they graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it could be
                            VERY frustrating to LEARN on those machines!
                            I'm not late...
                            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              I work with Filipinos all the time (Hawaii of course) and teach the kids too....
                              The ones I work with, awesome workers and weldors...hope their kids pick up their fathers work habits after they graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it could be
                              VERY frustrating to LEARN on those machines!
                              What machines are you guys talking about??????

The machine in question has not been posted- all you have is that it is Chinese- quite a huge jump to conclude that it is the Machine.

Since the OP has not provided much info on the machine I would bet money the problem is operator error;
                              " I dont have any experience yet on using MIG machine so basically I know scratch about it."
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...