Portable band saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable band saws

What is your choice for a portable band saw? Any brands to stay away from? How are they for doing angle cuts? Id love to have a horizontal saw but cant afford the saw or the floor space right now.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
    What is your choice for a portable band saw? Any brands to stay away from? How are they for doing angle cuts? Id love to have a horizontal saw but cant afford the saw or the floor space right now.
    I went with Porter Cable. The old school worm drive style, the same as the first Porta-Band that I ever used. Like any handheld saw, it is only as accurate as the operator. And I paid more for my Porta-Band than I did for my Harbor Freight H/V band saw. I got the Porta-Band before I had a garage to work in so the H/V was right out, I now have and use both frequently. I have no experience with a "bad" portable band saw but the better brand names usually have better guides, and the direct drive portable band saws, though cheaper to buy, perform well, unless you need to get them into a tight space, the motor sticking up there tends to get in the way and you find yourself either unable to fit the saw in there or see over the motor to the blade. If I had to choose either a portable band saw or a H/V band saw, no question, the portable would win out, it's just more useful and trouble free, for my use.
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

Comment

You can't go wrong with Milwaukee or Porter Cable either for that matter for a fast and good cutting saw. However, I now use my $160 Harbor Freight green bandsaw for all my cutting as it cuts straight and I could never hold my Milwaukee perfectly straight. Keep in mind that I am just a hobby metal worker though.
      Miller Challenger 172
      Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
      Older Sears AC Stick machine

Comment

Band Saws

I bought a Milwaukee #6236 about a year ago, runs on AC/DC (never know, may only have a Lincoln Pipeliner 200D to plug it into), it came with a case, the blades are easy to find, cuts straight, I'm happy. I have a very old horizontal (4 x 6) that I still use, but when I need to make a quick cut, or miter, I'll get the Milwaukee out. Hope this helps

Dave in Az
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I've got an old milwaukee I bought at a yard sale a few years back. I couldn't complain even if I'd bought it new. it's a bit on the heavy side, but that also helps keep it stable.
          Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

Milwaukee

have an old Milwaukee...also..... keeps on ticking... probably 20 years old... do not think it will wear out..

hope this helps

Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

You did not say if it was for every day use or as a hobby.

My use is "hobby\handyman" and therefore I bought the Harbor Freight version.

Yes, you need to take it apart and take the hard stuff that I assume was - at one time - a lubricant out and put something that is real grease in there.

And yes, you need to put a good blade on it.

And yes, it makes a lot of noise when it runs.

But it works fine for what I use it for and at $70 - on sale - it was worth it.

I also have two of the 4x6 stand type saws - one that has the motor assembly that will swing around for angled cuts and one that just does straight cuts. Though I prefer the stand saws for everything that I can fit in the vice - accuracy, ease of use, etc. - there are a few things that only the portable can do.

And I suppose if I could only have one it would be a portable along with the steadier hands and better eyes option.

Arvid

Comment

I've got a Milwaukee and I've drank plenty of Old Milwaukee .
                Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                Rockwell vertical mill
                Beverly Shear B-3
                Beverly Shear JR
                Home-made English wheel
                Milwaukee Porta-band
                " Sawz-all
                Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                Powcon 300st

Comment

Porta bandsaw

I also have a Milwaukee deepcut portaband bandsaw and I haven,t had any problems with it. I have had it about 5 years.

Comment

Milwaukee Deep-Cut works fine for me. Cheaper than the Harbor Freight if you purchase one off of eBay.
                    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                    Miller DialArc 250
                    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                    Logan 7" shaper
                    Ellis 3000 band saw
                    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                    Lots of dust bunnies
                    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

My HF started spitting the drive tire after about a year. I'd buy a milwaukee if I had to do it over.
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                      Smith O/A rig
                      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                        My HF started spitting the drive tire after about a year. I'd buy a milwaukee if I had to do it over.
                        The Milwaukees will do the same...maybe not as fast. Hard to get them to last forever with such narrow blades. On the plus side, the local industrial supply here in a town of 20,000 carries the drive belt, brushes and most other wear parts, in stock and the fix was in the $7-$8 range. Hard to beat a $70-$80 used Milwaukee deep-cut off of eBay.

On a side note, I believe the Porter-Cable and Rockwell that preceded it use a different size blade than the Milwaukees. Anybody wanting 4-5 Porter-Cable blades...they're longer than the Milwaukee style...be the first to PM me and they are yours. Got them in with a mess of Milwaukee blades I bought. EDIT: After looking, it appears the Porter-Cable use sthe same size blades as the Milwaukee. I believe these blades were for the Rockwell at 48+" in length.
                        Last edited by WyoRoy; 11-20-2008, 11:16 PM.
                        Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                        Miller DialArc 250
                        Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                        Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                        Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                        Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                        South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                        Logan 7" shaper
                        Ellis 3000 band saw
                        Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                        Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                        3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                        Lots of dust bunnies
                        Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I've got a tube of weather strip adhesive I'm going to try on the tire, but haven't gotten around to it. It's not even that the tire is shot, but that it just won't stay on the cogs on the wheel. I probably should try switching them (the drive and idler are both identical) to see if the idler will behave better before trying to glue it.

Anything that needs a precise end gets turned or milled these days. Otherwise, the DW multicutter gets "close enough."
                          Syncrowave 250DX
                          Invison 354MP
                          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                          Smith O/A rig
                          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

The Milwaukee site doesn't list the deep cut or variable speed saws anymore! They are available through re-sellers though. It seems like they were discontinued.
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Millermatic 175
                            Spectrum 375
                            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

i've used porter cable and milwakai for past ten years cant go wrong either way,

Comment

Working...
                              X