Looking to build a tig cooler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build a tig cooler

I am looking to build a tig cooler for a SD 180.I am looking for a parts list/photos and some direction.Thanks
    http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/profgh6682/

This will get ya started
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=6728
    do a search for threads started by Sundown ,for a parts list and other info on the subject. Sadly George pass away but some where there is a complete write up he and another fellow did on the project.
    Good luck
    L*S

edit: found the article

http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWeld...le.cfm?ID=1275
    Last edited by Leons2003; 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

Leon:
      I think of Sundown everytime someone asks about a homemade watercooler.

I'm glad you found the link.
      Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM.
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

My Homemade Cooler

I am new at TIGing & wanted a water cooler, also. I built the one in the accompanying photo. I did the welding with a 17 series aircooled torch - Yepper, looks like bird dodo to me too (My first aluminum welds)

Motor & Pump 220volt -- $125 (counting shipping to Alaska)
        Fan 220 Volt ------------- 25
        Heater Core -------------- 20
        Aluminum Box Tube ------- 15
        Aluminum Scraps -------- free
        Assorted Fittings --------- 25
        Hose --------------------- 4

Took several sessions & quite a few redesigns in my head to make it work. That fan is rated at 300 cfm. I do not know if the reservoir would even be necessary. That baby really moves some air.

I wanted everything 220 so I could wire it into the cord for the Dynasty 200. It works fine -- no overload problems at all. The pump & fan only draw 2-3 amps.

I gained a lot of experience with this project, but in reality, based on the cost of the parts, the agron & filler, along with the electricity used, it may just have been cheaper to have purchased one premade. But then, I wouldn't have learned diddly-squat about aluminum welding either.

Jerry in Anchorage
        Attached Files
        Last edited by muskt; 11-01-2008, 12:05 AM. Reason: Forgot image

Comment

Originally posted by muskt View Post
          I am new at TIGing & wanted a water cooler, also. I built the one in the accompanying photo. I did the welding with a 17 series aircooled torch - Yepper, looks like bird dodo to me too (My first aluminum welds)

Motor & Pump 220volt -- $125 (counting shipping to Alaska)
          Fan 220 Volt ------------- 25
          Heater Core -------------- 20
          Aluminum Box Tube ------- 15
          Aluminum Scraps -------- free
          Assorted Fittings --------- 25
          Hose --------------------- 4

Took several sessions & quite a few redesigns in my head to make it work. That fan is rated at 300 cfm. I do not know if the reservoir would even be necessary. That baby really moves some air.

I wanted everything 220 so I could wire it into the cord for the Dynasty 200. It works fine -- no overload problems at all. The pump & fan only draw 2-3 amps.

I gained a lot of experience with this project, but in reality, based on the cost of the parts, the agron & filler, along with the electricity used, it may just have been cheaper to have purchased one premade. But then, I wouldn't have learned diddly-squat about aluminum welding either.

Jerry in Anchorage
          Hi Muskt -
          Where did you order / get your components for this cooler ?

Thanks,
          Lewis

Comment

Parts for Cooler

I got the pump/motor combo on EBay. Search for "tig pump or procon pump or tig pump". (You may be surprised how some folks list the same items.) I ran the cord for the pump & fan right alongside the cord for the Dyn. I mated both cords into one plug so that the fan/pump runs continuously whenever the Dyn is plugged in. Works great & NO HEAT buildup around the plug.

The fan from the Surplus Center.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

The rest around Anchorage.

That Surplus Center has lots of great "stuff" at pretty decent prices.

There are probably many many more methods for making a cooler than that which I pursued. Since I live in Alaska, I even considered not using a fan at all. It rarely gets more than 65-70 F in my garage. Since I am only a Tinkerer & don't weld big things (usually), I haven't even been able to detect any warming of the hoses going into the cooler from the torch.

Jerry in Anchorage
            (+8F this morning at my Igloo)

Comment

cooler

Hi
              if you want to save some money on the pump... look for a "Procon" carbonation vane pump (40psi if I recall) your local junk store or ebay for about $50... from soft drink soda fountains...
              hope this helps
              Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Sorry Muskt.. we must have posted at the same time..
                Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                X