Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick Welding Carbon Steel to Stainless Steel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Welding Carbon Steel to Stainless Steel?

I have been asked this question and it has been almost 30 years since I made my living as a welder. Is it possible to stick weld carbon steel to stainless steel? If so is it a big problem? What process would work best for this application? Thanks

Well it is not an ideal situation to do but it can be done. Is this going to be a structural piece? I have welded carbon to stainless a few times. I have used 3/32" 308L rod or supermissle rod for this. I am not sure if it would work with say 7018 or the like. This is just my .02
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Thanks for the reply Paul. Not really structural. It is stainless handrails, in between red iron columes, the owner thinks he needs to connect the stainless vertical post to the red iron columes. The engineer did not design for a connection between the two. The owner thinks he needs something like 2 inch cs pipe to stiffen the hand rail. I have not seen it yet. Thanks

Comment

As mentioned 309 would be your best rod to use.

Wheelchair

Comment

I had know idea that you could smaw(mig) this connection. This would be the best choice for location of welds. (three story complex, 500 connections needed) Leads would be terrilbly long. What wire would one use in a mig for this purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Lasgambler View Post
            I had know idea that you could smaw(mig) this connection. This would be the best choice for location of welds. (three story complex, 500 connections needed) Leads would be terrilbly long. What wire would one use in a mig for this purpose?
            SMAW is stick; GMAW is mig. 309 is USUALLLLLLY the correct filler for mild steel to stainless, smaw or gmaw.

HTH
            Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
              SMAW is stick; GMAW is mig. 309 is USUALLLLLLY the correct filler for mild steel to stainless, smaw or gmaw.

HTH
              Griff
              Thanks Griff, My bad, just a brain f_art, happens when you get old.

Comment

Working...
              X