bc vs alberta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
    The USA certainly isn't considering the BC system or any other.
    Now you know why I am laughing. Well, that and the other stuff I highlighted.

Isn't much to squabble about JT - any competent and sane person can see the facts as they are.

I came back in here and removed my comments regarding my first hand experience with some of the BC "Journeyman" I have worked with. I am trying to keep this discussion factual and "above the belt".
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM. Reason: Comments below the belt to BC welders.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
      The USA certainly isn't considering the BC system or any other.
      The U.S. government has nothing to do with welder training, qualifications, codes ect.
      Private industry handles those matters just fine here. As it should be.

You may now resume your interprovidential squabble. Otherwise known as a Canadian Civil War, waged on the harsh, unforgiving battlefields of the Miller Interweb Forum.

JTMcC.
      Man, you sure make me laugh. Thanks again..."Canadian Civil War" haha too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
        Now you know why I am laughing.

Isn't much to squabble about JT - any competent and sane person can see the facts as they are.

I haven't heard any baseless rumours about their system, I have just worked with some of their "Journeyman" first hand.... and I can see why they are "out of work" and their province doesn't want them anymore.

Maybe the good ones stay there, and we just get the dregs.

Oh crap, now I started it.
        There is great welders on both side of the wild west & I have worked with poor welders from both sides of the wild west, with that said, we are top shelf when you talk about our welding as a trade here. We just have to have better skilled welders because of the oilpatch/pipelines we have here, you have to otherwise people will get hurt/die and then there will be $hit to pay. This is not to say that welders from other places arent great welders, I have worked with guys from BC, Sask, MB, Ont, Texas, even "Newfies" that where great welders, but they will all agree that we have alot of paper, tests, and blood sweat and tears to go through here in Alberta before we can have a Alberta ticket and even harder a "B" ticket here. I am very proud of being an Alberta ticket welder.
        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
        PIPEPRO 304
        TO MANY TOOLS
        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
        and easily upset
        go flames go

Comment

some very interesting and useful information. thanks to all who have contributed. i can deffinately understand that albertas industry and bcs are dufferentex. oil patch vs a pulpmill or mine. i guess one benefit of bc is that you can get your ip once youve got your b ticket and apparently alot of guys do it to make more money in less time which doesnt seem like a bad idea. it seems like here alot of ppl kinda take the "shortcut" route but they may also be the type of ppl who arent as good as they should be. myself i looked into the self paced at first so i could go in learn the weld, do the weld, and be done... after thinking about it though ive decided to take up the whole 7 months and not rush anything as i want to learn as much as i possibly can. i dont want to be one of the guys who you guys talk about when saying "a journeyman who can make **** stick to a wool blanket" i want to be as knowledgable and skilled in the trade as my mind and body will allow. as far as schooling in bc or alberta now there deffinately is alot more money in alberta so it would be easier but i think i might stick with what im doing and take my c ticket here (even though its useless in ab) and see what kind of doors that will open for me then maybe head over to alberta after. and even though the c ticket is not recognized in alberta having taken the 7 months and learning what i will learn i believe that will give me a much stronger foundation to build off of as well as making me worth more to my employer. i will say if the right oppertunity comes up in alberta i will most likely take it but i think ill jsut keep going down the road im on for now and see where it takes me....
          thanks again to everyone who has contributed and sorry for making such a long post ahah... have a good one guys

P.S. anyone know of good companies to try to get on as a welders helper/ apprentice feel free to let me know

Comment

Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight, and have a plan laid out that works for you.

As for the BC "welder" (that I work with and referred to in the other thread) that cannot make Sh!t stick to a wool blanket, well, he has told me that he is level "C" but has not shown me any paperwork yet. I don't think that he is much of an Alberta Journeyman Millwright either, so I am thinking his failure to impress me on any level is due to the individual, not the training.

I removed my off colour comment regarding BC "Journeyman" because it was below the belt, but it seems that Dan still quoted it before I edited the post.

No, I do not think that poorly of all Journeyman coming out of BC. The individuals I have worked with were not great, but I do not view them as indicative of the program as a whole.

Who knows, maybe things have changed a little, and now AB Apprenticeship and Industry Training will recognize your "C" ticket. I'll do some snooping around tomorrow and find the number to the office in Grande Prairie, and you can talk with them yourself if you like.

Welcome to the trade.

Have a good night.
            Later,
            Jason

Comment

so ive heard saskatchewan is going to be booming and ive heard it already is.. anyone able to shed any light on that? the only concern i do have with staying in bc for now is the money.... i have an 18 month old son and am now sure if i will be able to afford it, it will be tough. i realize thats a consequence of starting off in a new trade BUT 15 dollars an hour can be like what? 22 and hour in alberta??? (up north) can anyone provide me with information as to the wages a new guy such as myself could expect in alberta or saskatchewan? for the next 8 months (until im done school) im only going to be making 13 an hour and thats just crazy!! i made more than that when i was like 13 (working in the bush) i am really worried im going to get myself into a financial rut i wont be able to get out of

Comment

The financial crunch of apprenticeship is a real burden to bear, and believe me, I do feel your pain on this one. Luckily, here in Alberta, institutions like NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology) offer up the Welding Program through Distance Delivery where the apprentice does not have to take the time off of work, but is able to earn while he/she learns. When the modules and exams are completed, the apprentice heads down to Edmonton for Theory and Practical exams for both NAIT and the Apprenticeship Board.

As for wages, each "year" of apprenticeship is clearly defined by a percentage of the Journeyman Wage. The shop I am at is slightly lower that the average shop in GP (Not complaining) Journeyman wage is $33/hr vs $36/hr in town.

My 1st yr apprentice is making 65% or so of that, so he is getting around $21 or $22/hr - something like that.

Funny enough for this topic - He is from BC - Valemont to be exact, but he came to Alberta to work and learn. Two of his cousins are also here from McBride - One has been here over a year and is now a 2nd yr Millwright, the other - fresh out of High School, started last week.

I cannot give you information about wages in other provinces or even other towns - just what I know from Grande Prairie.
                Later,
                Jason

Comment

what is all this about that bc schooling is going to be set all across canada and why is it that all alberta tickets are the most recognized in canada. when you go to a job in another province you have a welder that has a inter provincial and an alberta B ticket (Pipe ticket for those who dont know) you know you have a qualified welder. the only thing that i have seen as a standard across canada is the money grabbing Cwb ticket (which stole my 400 and change)
                  your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                  2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                  PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                  here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

Well hello Lynx!. Haven't seen ya around(on website) for awhile. Good to see ya back and kickin' some dust too! Yeah, that CWB is something else, I did my test close to two years ago and I've yet to see the actual ticket. You get this sheet of paper to show the QC guy on jobs and if he's green, he'll look at you like you're trying to pull one over on him. Then this 90 day thing to keep it alive and if you expire on that you do the check test. $150 please and thank you. I'm sure the CWB has its merits but all this? Remember when you got your "B"?. How many times did you pay for a check test after that or to keep your ticket alive, work in a shop quick before it expires.

Comment

long time no see yeah the B isw good for life only my small bore every two years at 100 a pop but i'd rather weld pipe than structual!
                      your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                      2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                      PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                      here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

BC vs AB School

It's not the quality of the school you have to worry about, but the province in which you want to work. I came to Alberta a few years ago and found out the hard way that apprenticeships dont transfer between provinces. If you come to AB from a BC system and you are not yet a journeyman you will have a hard time getting any of your hours or experience to transfer over.

An alberta B ticket has nothing to do with the BC courses. The letters A, B, and C in BC refer to the level of their welding programs you have completed. The alberta B ticket is basicly a pipe welding test to certify work on pressure vessels/piping after you have attained journeyman status. You can only obtain an Alberta "B" ticket if you have successfully completed the 3 year alberta apprenticeship program to become a jopurneyman or if you are a journeyman with a red seal coming in from any other province.

If you go to school in BC, you will have to find an employer in Alberta who is willing to hire you, that employer will have to indenture you as an alberta apprentice and if that employer signs off you can challenge exams, both theory and practical for your 1st,2nd or 3rd years, providing you have the recorded hours.

Many Alberta employers will not hire you if you are not an indentured alberta apprentice.

The things you learn in AB or BC courses will not be exactly the same, but most of your skills and abilities are learned on the job, not in 8 weeks of school every year. Ulitmately it often depends on the work you have experience with, not the school you went to. For example a welder working in a MIG shop for 3 years can go to either ab or bc for school but he still wont be as good a stick or tig welder as the guy who goes into work everyday doing stick or tig and has never been to school.

So just do your school wherever you intend to work and it should work out well. also the AB apprenticeship website (www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca)is fairly useful.

Best of luck to you

Comment

AB vs BC

Ok , ya sorry about that system change crap !!! it was just a rumour i had heard and was hoping 1 of you might of heard something .. s o r r y wolf, and lynx I didnt mean to imply anything.. But ya i agree that taking your schooling where you plan to work and live is the best choice. Thanx and sorry for that rumor!

Comment

well ive heard the course here is supposed to be pretty good and that i will learn alot.. i really wish i could be an apprentice though then i could learn more before i even get to school...

Comment

You do not have to be an "apprentice" to begin to learn.

Open a book.....

Watch a video....

Find someone you know that can weld and ask for lessons...

There are MANY things that you can do to learn about welding, and the manipulation of metal.

The only thing holding you back is you.

BC_Hardwire - sorry if I was a harda$$. Rumours cause a lot of trouble. When discussing apprenticeships and government programs, best to keep things factual.

Everything is good on my end.

Have a good night.
                              Later,
                              Jason

Comment

3G Open Root

Hey Guys, I am currently working on my 3 G (1/8 land, 3/32 gap, 6010 1/8 root and hot) 7018 1/8 cap I keep getting a bit of undercut on my cap , ive tried slowing down and pausing more on the edges .. .... my question is what exactly does the inductance control do, I have it at 50% ? ! ? any advice or tips I can get rid of the undercut if i run colder but i want it to be a tight cap, I am running it at 124 amps on my cap. Thanx for any tips fellas!

Comment

Working...
                                X