Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Little 350DX Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little 350DX Project

Got another little project where I was able to utilize the VP function of my 350. These are a couple of longer tubes that go to a helo jack stand I did earlier this year. They use this particular stand for a few different birds and each arm has to be a different length.

Anywho, material is 6061. The tube is 3/8" where it gets welded and the cap is 1/2" except for the center web. I used a heat gun to pre-heat the parts for about 10 minutes before welding. Only cleaning was a wipe down with denatured alcohol.

I used a 1/8" tungsten sharpened to a point with a flat ground on the end. I set the machine to independent polarity and used a 100%/70% ratio of EN/EP. Total amperage was 260 wich equated to 281 amps EN to 196 amps EP. You can see the result of this in the last pic. This is a shot of the tungsten after welding both parts. as you can see, it has very little wear after welding at such a high amperage. The other settings were as follows:

Tig start amps = 60 amps @ 60 ms.
    Gas flow = 18 CFH
    Straight Argon gas
    1/16" 5356 filler
    Hz = 120
    Balance = 75
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM.

KB:
    Since there is an 'internet obsession' with 'which' tungsten and your paragraph 3 describes (and shows) your tungsten; what color works for you?

FWIW: I just started TIG class, but they use red or green.

Comment

I use 2% lanthanated for both steel and aluminum on my 350.

Comment

KB:
        Thanks, Craig

Comment

Darn nice work...I'd hire yuh

Comment

Good to here from you KB. Nice work as always & thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice project, good to see you posting your job pics again.

Comment

That is some beautiful work!

Comment

Its nice to see quality work.

Comment

Nice work and nice machine. One day I'll have all the cool toys.

James

Comment

I have really been liking my Rare Earth weldcraft tungsten from Arc-Zone.

Beautiful welds btw.

Comment

start polarity

which start polarity and slop time do you use??

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.