Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

dual shield wire

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual shield wire

i have a millermatic 180 just bought .045 liner and drive roller and spool of dual shield wire. i am building a wood burning boiler needs to be waterproof i just tried the dual shield wire today ran about 5 beads have never used dual shield before seems to weld alright .i get a clean slag covering but bead seems to be more puddled looking then "stack of dimes " i am used too .is this normal seems to burn in good using 75/25 argon/co2 any advice appreciated thanks. p.s decided to use dual shield because i was getting too many leaks with solid wire .035

Remember you are watching the slag pool not just the metal. I think you most likely need to move a bit slower and you might get better results. Unless the metal is really rusty, regular wire should not have a problem making a water tight bead, just make sure your metal is nice a clean and you have your settings right. You have to watch starts with mig, thats where I have run into problems with liquid tight welds.

-Dan

Comment

dual shield

thanks i agree my problem with the solid wire was i was not burning it in hot enough .i have this dual shield wire now so i am going to use it now and see how it works .it definitely burns in hotter. i am welding on 1/4 inch steel plate clean no rust other then surface which i have wire brushed off before welding thanks

Comment

just turn it up to 11 dood

Comment

One of the main points of the slag cover is to protect the weld from oxidizing as it cools. Dual shield wire by its nature will not have a "stacked dimes" look to it. It freezes to slow. The whole stacked dimes phenomenon comes from a low energy process which is SMAW or stick welding. There are very few instances where the oscilation of the mig puddle is appropriate such as a vertical up and maybe sometimes in the horizontal.

For mig welding stacking dimes will actually make your penetration shallow. It all has to do with the energy equation. Search some threads on here for more information.

Comment

caribou09,

What is the wire you are using? Just to add a little to what has already been posted. I'd say to slow down a little. As stated, the stack of dimes is not what you want with dual shield. You don't need to oscillate, just keep your arc at the leading edge of your puddle at about a 15 degree angle.

As far as the GMAW wire is concerned, the issue you are having with leaks, is this due to pin holes or cracks/non fusion? This sounds like a technique issue. If you list your wire, gas, joint configuration, and amp/volt settings I'm sure someone could advise you as to how to make the weld without leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
              just turn it up to 11 dood
              So.............if dual shield wont work, I quess triple shield is out of the question?

Comment

dual shield

thanks for all the advice i started welding more with it today i set my amps to 9 and wire feed to 5.5 welding really well i just have to finish and water test will post results thanks again

Comment

What wire are you using?? I have specs for several dual shield wires and every single spec I have says you are running below recommended minimums. The vast majority have the lowest working amperage listed at 170 for .045 wire. They put lower values in there because it is technically in spec. Experience tells me to never go that low with DS wires. They need it hot. And it isn't the amperage they need hot, either. They are a high voltage wire as well. They'll run 3-4 volts higher than regular wires. .035 DS may be in reach, but I dunno. It is barely in reach of the specs for my MM210, so I am not sure how a MM180 would have enough juice.

Comment

I think the .045 is a tad big for your machine. I have a MM185 and it loves 035 DS. Perfect welds nice and smooth...Bob

Comment

dual shield

the wire i am using is os -71 ELITE E71t-1 i looked online and amperage for .045 is around 130 amps so i have enough amperage but duty cycle is short the project has been sitting there .wont be able to finish until early september .so i will find out how good dual shield works when i watertest any thought appreciated thanks

Comment

I think you're right, Wright. I would never have thought to try anything that big on my MM-175, which has turned out to be a rather light-duty unit. Running long beads on 3/16" MS with .035 innershield kept tripping the breaker. Probably the 50' 8-guage extension cable was dropping the input power some, but I need to have that reach. Even if caribou09 could get that .045 dual-shield to run, a 20% duty cycle would be optimistic, or so it seems to me.

Do you know what settings work with the .035 D.S. on your 175? I think I'll give it a try.

What was done to the MM-175 to uprate it to 180A? A bigger-guage power cord?

One idea I had was to fabricate a fiberglass shroud for the cooling fan in my machine. Fan-shrouds, as they are called in automobiles, or ducted-fans as they are called in aircraft, add enormously to the effectiveness of un-ducted fans. Additionally, I would provide extra vents to get the air out. And I also thought I might fabricate (or adapt from a car) an air cleaner housing to take a small, low-resistance, washable K&N filter. I don't know why the welder manufacturers don't do this. They talk about their fans that only run when needed, telling us this is to help keep dirt out of the units. Well, DUH, what about an air cleaner?!! Don't tell me about drag; a properly-sized filter won't have any notable effect, even when dirty if it's a K&N. Besides, if they shroud the leading half of the fan it will pull very well.

My 175 is out of warranty, so I can try anything I want. What do y'all think? This is my first visit and first post to this site.

Comment

Comment

Too funny!!!

Comment

I don't care who you are that there is funny!

Good job Broc!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.