Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Miller Syncrowave 200 HF

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Miller Syncrowave 200 HF

Hello all. I posted this questoin on anothe rwebsite and so far haven't heard back. I also asked the owner of an independent weld repair shiop and he also didn't know the answer. Here goes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I'm only just getting back to my welding having been out of commission for the past 9 months. Before I quit, I had just bought a near-new Miller 200 Syncrowave 200 and set it up for water cooling, gas feed and so on. I got to do a little welding and was quite pleased. Since I'm now getting back into my hobbies and will be using the machine more heavily, I was wondering about the TIG High Frequency (HF) on the newer Miller Syncrowave 200 models in general.

I've read the manual carefully and I see that the HF is designed to have three settings to provide for easy arc start. They are called Soft, Medium and Hot. Soft is for thin material with .040 - 1/16" tungstens, Medium is for general work with 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8" tungstens, while Hot is used for thick materials with 1/8 - 5/32" tungstens. The default setting is Medium in all settings: AC, DC- or DC+.

I recall that on my former Lincoln 250/250 Idealarc TIG/Stick, there was a switch to control the HF, There was Start Only, Off and Continuous. The machine was designed to be used with Start Only for mild steel or stainless and continuous for aluminum on AC. Continuous was necessary to sustain the arc when welding aluminum.

My question for the Miller Gurus out there is this: Will the HF stay on continuously during TIG on the Miller Sycrowave machines or is this made unnecessary since there is also square wave operation? I would expect that it would only be on for startup on DC+/- modes but perhaps it should stay on for the AC mode for aluminum work.

It seems like the manual might address this issue but I've looked carefully and can't find it. If anyone knows, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance!

Good question.

The Sync 200s and all our Syncrowaves for that matter have the HF on start only for DC and continuous for AC. Even though the Syncrowaves have squarewave, the amount the wave is is square depends on the amperage while welding. For example, if you looked at the waveform on a scope it does not look nice and square until you get over 50-60 amps and even then it is not truely square but is as close as it can be using large inductors. That's why the HF is still needed to stabilize the arc while polarity changes and crosses zero. When you get into the inverter powersources, the wave is pure square at any amperage.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
      Good question.

The Sync 200s and all our Syncrowaves for that matter have the HF on start only for DC and continuous for AC. Even though the Syncrowaves have squarewave, the amount the wave is is square depends on the amperage while welding. For example, if you looked at the waveform on a scope it does not look nice and square until you get over 50-60 amps and even then it is not truely square but is as close as it can be using large inductors. That's why the HF is still needed to stabilize the arc while polarity changes and crosses zero. When you get into the inverter powersources, the wave is pure square at any amperage.

Hope this helps.

Andy

I suspected that would be the case but the manual doesn't address HF other than the start settings of soft, med and hot.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

On the Miller syncrowave 250 the HF choices are start ,continous and off.

On start to intiate the arc and continous when welding aluminum to aid with cleaning.

Miller has tried to make the new machines for beginners that have had no welding training.
        They make HF continuous AUTOMATIC when selecting AC.
        But of coarse then if you wanted AC and HF non continuous you would no longer have the choice.

The Miller syncrowave 200 has a feature for 'CHOOSING the type of arc start. It is soft ,medium, and hard. Medium is the default. Turn machine off. Restart with arc button depressed and at the same time as the on button wait 7 seconds and you can choose. The manual does not say HOW you choose one of the three arc start modes.
        They should have had a welding person read the manual. NOT a computer geek.
        Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
          On the Miller syncrowave 250 the HF choices are start ,continous and off.

On start to intiate the arc and continous when welding aluminum to aid with cleaning.

The Miller syncrowave 200 has a feature for 'CHOOSING the type of arc start. It is soft ,medium, and hard. Medium is the default. Turn machine off. Restart with arc button depressed and at the same time as the on button wait 7 seconds and you can choose. The manual does not say HOW you choose one of the three arc start modes.
          They should have had a welding person read the manual. NOT a computer geek.
          Like I said earlier. The choice could have been a knob for ARC START TYPE, with three choices soft medium and hard. I like knobs. NOT multi function push buttons.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.