union welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• union welding

hey guys im a newbie on here.. im part of tons a of online forums and just wana ask this simple question even tho it prob has been asked.. im 19 and im interested in getting into the union for welding.. i have no experience with welding at all.. where would i start. do i just go to the local union and i start from there and ill learn.. or should i go to a welding school first then head to the union.. thanks and any info would be great

You kinda have to get your ticket first, leastwise your first year schooling, then attempt to get into a union shop. even then you have to know somebody.

Comment

really so then itz pointless if i dnt kno anyone to even go to school

Comment

Originally posted by 96xlt.ranger View Post
        really so then itz pointless if i dnt kno anyone to even go to school
        HUH I went to school but can't understand that??????????????
        Please spell in normal eengleesh.
        Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
        Hypertherm 30A Plasma
        Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

If you’re really interested in becoming a professional welder you could look up the local welders union and visit them to find out the best way to accomplish your goal. If they can't help you, there are other open shop options for welding pros. Any skills you develop now will help you down the road. It's never a waste of time to learn new skills. Look for any apprenticeship opportunities you can find.
          Russ
          BFM
          Dynasty 200DX
          Passport Plus

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
            HUH I went to school but can't understand that??????????????
            Please spell in normal eengleesh.
            Its texting speak so they don't have to spell.Thats one reason they are finding it hard to get jobs or into the door at the various trades. They forget to speak and write in a way that everybody can understand.
            Neighbors kid couldn't figure out why he couldn't get hired even at the local rip off scrap yard, He was a thugg wannebe, with his pants below his A$$ checks.And talks in a combination of slang and text speak. After about the 6 place that run him out. He ditched the fake bling and talked normal so the old farts that owned the places he wanted to work at could understand him. He got a job
            And it was at one of the places that threw him out.
            glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Don't know where you're from, but if you can get into the Ironworker's Union, they might make you get your welding ticket through their apprenticeship. That's the way it works up here. Then, once you've got your ticket for stick, you can take additional classes for tig. Don't think the structural guys offer that, but I'm an Ornamental Ironworker, my union does.

And, yes, speak and write in English, tuck your A$$ into your pants, and pull all of the jewelry out of your face!

As stupid as this may sound to you young guys, we know it's only construction or blue collar work, but as long as us old folks are in charge, you'll have to do it our way. I didn't understand why my father made me get a haircut and take out my earring when I was a kid. I don't mind a kid with long hair and an earring now, but the other crap, no way! Guess it skips a generation!

Comment

Originally posted by BudMan580 View Post
                Don't know where you're from, but if you can get into the Ironworker's Union, they might make you get your welding ticket through their apprenticeship. That's the way it works up here. Then, once you've got your ticket for stick, you can take additional classes for tig. Don't think the structural guys offer that, but I'm an Ornamental Ironworker, my union does.

And, yes, speak and write in English, tuck your A$$ into your pants, and pull all of the jewelry out of your face!

As stupid as this may sound to you young guys, we know it's only construction or blue collar work, but as long as us old folks are in charge, you'll have to do it our way. I didn't understand why my father made me get a haircut and take out my earring when I was a kid. I don't mind a kid with long hair and an earring now, but the other crap, no way! Guess it skips a generation!
                Something the youngsters do not think about (or do not want to think) is that when they get to be old geezers (like us), they will be the same way!!!

Griff

Comment

Union welding jobs are not common on the West Coast

The Iron Workers are very weak in California. I applied a year or two out of high school. The Union rep came to a job skills center one or two Tuesdays a month for 15 minutes. He would verify ID and keep a copy of the applicant's HS diploma or GED. He would provide a list of Union contractors and shops. Everything else was the applicant's problem. I am not even aware of an Ironworkers Union shop within 75 miles of the state Capitol. There may be a few in the Oakland/S.F. area. The West Coast/Southwest has plenty of cheap labor and stagnant wages so the Trade unions have really declined around here.
                  The Sheetmetal Workers Union has a good apprenticeship program and stable year around work. I was in the pre-apprentice group but got tired of kissing asses. I went to work welding auto parts and later fences.
                  Last edited by deafman; 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

go to school

Check out Missouri Welding Institute. www.mwi.ws Great education and JOBS upon graduation. Don't focus on the union but don't rule it out either. Gotta LEARN before you can EARN.........work hard you'll be OK!!

Comment

I'm a Union Boilermaker and thought I'd throw my .02 in here . If you want to learn to be a highly skilled welder you should look for a boilermaker or pipefitter apprenticeship program . The type of welding either of these crafts do will inable you to make a good living if you can learn to be proficient at it . I would recommend to specialize in x-ray joint work because if you can do that you will most likely be able to do any other types of welding anywhere else . If your interested tell me where you live and I'll find out where the closest local is . Good luck and if your serious don't give up as our nation is coming up on a major shortage of "skilled" welders .
                      Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                      Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                      Rockwell vertical mill
                      Beverly Shear B-3
                      Beverly Shear JR
                      Home-made English wheel
                      Milwaukee Porta-band
                      " Sawz-all
                      Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                      Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                      Powcon 300st

Comment

this info all sounds good except the old ones here saying and critizing how young men my age speak.. first off im part of over 40 online forums from a simple welding forum like this to a car mechanic forum which ive posted over 3000 times. i could careless how i speak online especially graduating with a 4.2 over all gpa and a close to free ticket to college for football.. choose not to play ball dew to personal family issues and decided to work my *** off for the rest of my life. im not a 18 year old loser who wears his pants low and after he gets off work he goes and smokes dope with his friends at a local party. i here this stuff everyday about dont talk slang.. lol so i figure id let all the old timers know that its online talk. called saving time. i have all the respect for the old folks without them us younger people wouldnt have any roll models or wouldnt be persuaded to succeed in life. my goal is to be successful in life and create a wide open future. im not looking to be successful in my current state but im looking towards my retirement also.

i live in jackson new jersey figure id let that one guy know so he can further help me along here
                        thanks

Comment

Good writing ability is an essential life skill. Especially in any business. It makes you look professional.

I have no issue with truncating words to save time in the form of online chat or text messages, but when you're at a place like the Miller online forums, it helps us all understand what you're asking a whole lot better when you write in complete words and sentences.
                          Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                          RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                          Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                          Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                          http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by 96xlt.ranger View Post
                            this info all sounds good except the old ones here saying and critizing how young men my age speak.. first off im part of over 40 online forums from a simple welding forum like this to a car mechanic forum which ive posted over 3000 times. i could careless how i speak online especially graduating with a 4.2 over all gpa and a close to free ticket to college for football.. choose not to play ball dew to personal family issues and decided to work my *** off for the rest of my life. im not a 18 year old loser who wears his pants low and after he gets off work he goes and smokes dope with his friends at a local party. i here this stuff everyday about dont talk slang.. lol so i figure id let all the old timers know that its online talk. called saving time. i have all the respect for the old folks without them us younger people wouldnt have any roll models or wouldnt be persuaded to succeed in life. my goal is to be successful in life and create a wide open future. im not looking to be successful in my current state but im looking towards my retirement also.

i live in jackson new jersey figure id let that one guy know so he can further help me along here
                            thanks
                            Seriously- how much ****ing time do you save typing a lower case letter?

Leaving out a comma?

Spelling due "DEW"

You have green hair
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Showdog 75 has the reply that I agree with most. I'm in the Pipe fitter's, the apprentice's program is great. If you start now, you'll be a journeyman in 5 years. That's good money for a 25 year-old with no college. Before you fill out an application, learn how to spell. It gives the appearance of intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                              X