Corner clamp recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner clamp recommendations?

I've been having some trouble keeping my welding projects square. They are square when I clamp them up, but they always seem to shift a bit during welding so I was thinking about buying some 90 degree angle corner clamps to hold things in place more securely. I hope nobody minds me asking for some recommendations here, but can anyone recommend some good corner clamps with enough capacity to clamp two 4 inch box section pieces together? I was leaning towards the Bessey WSM 12 clamps, but they are rather expensive as I need at least two. Those of you that use corner clamps, what do you use and how do you like them? Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

I don't have any but might weld 2 angles square so they could be clamped to the bench if needed or this was a regular thing. Most of the time I can get close enough with progressive tacking and a common square as well as keeping an eye on things in general. I measure it all out if I need precision, leave enough gap in the joints to rack if needed after preliminary tacks to hold dimensions and don't always get carried away with the welder at first chance, add any bracing or even temporary diagonals on some occasions to keep things square during welding. I probably use half the weld or less than when I first start out in this biz, I weld just where and just as much as needed.

Comment

Will work if you don't have a table to clamp or tack to! A lot of the tool and die/machine shop supply places even have import version on sale some in sets of different sizes that are cheap to use for welding squaring clamps.
      glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

The angle plate idea is great! I've been using some square pieces of wood in a similar way, and although that works, I still get some movement. Maybe I'm also using too much weld in the joints, like Sberry mentioned. Thank you for all the help.

Comment

Try these they are what I use I have 4 of them..cheap too

http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/prod...ew.mcic?s=1996
          Dynasty 200 dx
          2 regency 250's w/30a spoolguns
          Synchrowave 250 w/ss tweco cooler
          millermatic 250
          millermatic 350p w/python
          miller xp130
          maxstar 150 stl
          trailblazer 302 w/12rc
          edwards 55ton ironworker
          eagle cp40h
          leblonde lathe 17x60
          supermax 10x50 vertical mill
          and one red machine (the wifes) powermig 255

Comment

i just use a small scrap of 2" square tube on the inside of the 90 degree joint and clamp the piss out of it so it doesn't move. i weld the outside first, then top & bottom, then remove the clamps and weld the inside fillet.

do the fillet last because it is the weld that will tend to make the pieces move the most.
            miller dynasty 350
            miller spectrum 1000

Comment

This is a nice corner clamp and it opens to 4' max.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Angle-Welding-...3286.m14.l1318

Or two welding magnets next to each other.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/4pc-MAGNETIC-WEL...3286.m14.l1318

Harbor Freight has those magnets on sale the big 75lbs guy. Reg $6.99 on sale for $2.99. Via internet coupon. I have it if you want it. Magnets would work the 90 degree vice clamp is nice, but will you ever use it again? THat is the question you must ask yourself.

James
              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
              20Ton press
              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Bessey

hi, the BESSEY are worth the big money. i have one of each and the 12 is really big and heavy. these are really well made. i got them at amazon about 2 years ago. heres the site if it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-WSM-12-...5175053&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-WSM-9-7...174965&sr=1-25

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

I made up a set of these and they're the nuts. With these and a proper tacking sequence, you'll be making square parts in no time.
                  Last edited by arrowside; 07-04-2008, 09:11 AM.
                  "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Comment

You're a welder... make your own, like I did.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by arrowside View Post
                      [IMG][/IMG]

I made up a set of these and they're the nuts. With these and a proper tacking sequence, you'll be making square parts in no time.
                      Nice Tool! I love how your able to weld around the whole corner with out un-clamping it.
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                      WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                      Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                      20Ton press
                      And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                      www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

They are definitely very slick. The stops are bolted on from the bottom with flatheads. This way you can change the sizes of the stops, and they sit flat on the table.

I make them in sets of two.
                        "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Comment

Thank you all for the great help and information! I'm going to try making up a set of clamps instead of buying them.

Comment

Perfect

I have a big provect coming up with alot of sqtube coming up. Built2speed has a great idea. Most of my pieces are 75" and I dont have a flat-flat spot that long and I have been worrying about how to square it.
                            Thanks
                            MikeyP

Comment

Redhawk had mentioned this pipe clamp. However the link he has posted is to an old webpage. Here is a link to the current webpage.

Comment

Working...
                              X