Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I mig weld stainless steel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mig weld stainless steel

Hello,

I am pretty new, and wanted to see if I can Mig Weld stainless steel. Are there any tricks and can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to setup for it?

Thanks,

What machine do you have? What type of stainless are you welding? You must use tri-mix and it does cost a lot more then 75-25 mix. Plate, pipe, thickness. It's easy to weld with the right set up. IMHO.

James

Comment

Over my head!

I think I am over my head on the stainless idea. I am running a millermatic 172 setup for steel. I think it is a 75%/25% argon mixture.

I was told to use a flux core wire to make my life easier, and was hoping I could do the same with Stainless.

I am only looking to weld small decorative items, like a 2'x3' fountain with pretty thin metal. I also thought about using it for highlights on a gate I am building.

Comment

just switch your wire and weld if you dont have tri mix try welding with 25/75. stainless steel welds just like steel. if you arent sure just try it on a couple pieces of scrap. your machine is fine and has the same capacities for stainless steel as for steel.

Comment

If you don't care about the welds rusting, just weld it with ER70S-6 and C-25. If you want to keep the rust away, I'd get a small roll of ER309L and still use C-25.

I've welded SS with C-25, and it turns out OK for small stuff. If I were going to get into serious SS fabrication, I'd probably want the helium/argon/COČ tri-mix, but I'd sure run a coupon or two first before I bought another gas cylinder!

Hank

Comment

gas mix

has anyone tried argon/ 2% co2 ?
            as per Ed's suggestion: http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm

I'd be curious to see what the welds look like from a mig (like mine: 210 miller)

Thanks!!

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jackflash View Post
              has anyone tried argon/ 2% co2 ?
              as per Ed's suggestion: http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm

I'd be curious to see what the welds look like from a mig (like mine: 210 miller)

Thanks!!

Jack
              Nope never tried it. I don't need anymore bottles and i don't do that much of it. But if i had a mixer that would be pretty easy since i have those bottles...Bob

Comment

Just finished job using S.S wire. we used tri mix for all but about 3 hrs worth ran out after LWS had closed finished that evening with 75/25 it ran just fine seems like it splattered a little more.

Comment

I suggest looking into Praxair's Stargon VS (STAR66) gas, It's designed to be use with Mild Steel as well as Stainless, as good or better than using 75%Argon/25%CO2 for Mild or Tri-Mix for Stainless.

that is the gas I always have hooked up to my MIG machine, so if i need to do a stainless MIG weld, I just have to switch out the wire and that's it.

Cost is probably just a tad bit more than C-25, the Stargon VS costs me $30-ish to fill up a 125cf tank.

Stargon VS is a blend of 82% Argon, 8% Co2, and 10% Helium.

Stainless does take a little more amperage than mild steel to weld the same thickness.

Comment

SS MIG Wire

C-25 or 100% CO2 can be used with most types of gas shielded flux cored SS wire.

98% argon/ 2% O2 for metal cored

SS MIG wire, depending on type, uses 95/5 CO2, 97/02 or Tr-Mix 90He/7.5Ar/2.5 CO2 for short arc and 98 Ar/ 2% O for axial spray transfer.

Know your metals and your wire for correct application

Dave
                    Last edited by davedarragh; 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

S.S. Mig Gas ?

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                      C-25 or 100% CO2 can be used with most types of gas shielded flux cored SS wire.

98% argon/ 2% O2 for metal cored

SS MIG wire, depending on type, uses 95/5 CO2, 97/02 or Tr-Mix 90H/7.5Ar/2.5 CO2 for short arc and 98 Ar/ 2% O for axial spray transfer.

Know your metals and your wire for correct application

Dave
                      Dave, I'll be doing a small restaurant job ( cracked dividers S.S. ) and I'll be using C-25, Should be allright small downhand Welds ? ( In a Sink )
                      P.S. , Here anything about the Hockey Team- Bankruptcy hearing today ??

............... Norm

Comment

SS MIG & NHL Follies

Hey Norm: Food grade is usually 316 isn't it?

FCP-316L is all position EXCEPT vertical down.

What kind of wire do you have?

The Federal Bankruptcy Judge ordered both sides to a Mediation Hearing on May 27th.

The drama continues................

Dave

Comment

Hey Norm: Food grade is usually 316 isn't it?

FCP-316L is all position EXCEPT vertical down.

What kind of wire do you have?

The Federal Bankruptcy Judge ordered both sides to a Mediation Hearing on May 27th.

The drama continues................

Dave
                          Dave, I'll be using 308L hard wire !
                          Mediation Hearing? Crazy I Say Crazy !! You watch Bettman will Keep them In
                          The U.S.A., He's an IDIOT !!

.... ........... Norm

Comment

SS MIG Wire

Hey Norm: 308L is for "18-8" (304) steels. It calls for Tri-Mix in short arc transfer. 90% He/ 7.5% Ar/ 2.5% CO2.

Vertical Up and overhead (3F, 3G, 4F, 4G, 5G, 6G) for solid SS MIG wire.

Yeah, Moyes owns Swift Transportation (they probably run up your way), and rumor has it, he's had some financial issues for a while now.

We'll see where the ice melts, and refreezes.

As they say "The Puck Stops Here"

Comment

Hey Norm: 308L is for "18-8" (304) steels. It calls for Tri-Mix in short arc transfer. 90% He/ 7.5% Ar/ 2.5% CO2.

Vertical Up and overhead (3F, 3G, 4F, 4G, 5G, 6G) for solid SS MIG wire.

Yeah, Moyes owns Swift Transportation (they probably run up your way), and rumor has it, he's had some financial issues for a while now.

We'll see where the ice melts, and refreezes.

As they say "The Puck Stops Here"
                              Dave; Well, It's a Small Job, and 308L & C-25 are what I have ! There's No Way I'm buying Tri-Mix for this small job !

Ya, Bettman is trying to say the N.H.L. took over control of the team last Nov. - Dec./08 . We'll have to wait & See what happens. But there is No Way He'll let that Team come Back to Canada, It was in Winnipeg till "96" I think !

................ Norm

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.