Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grizzly swivel head bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grizzly swivel head bandsaw

    I almost pulled the trigger on a ellis 1600, but just cant get my self to for the amount of cutting I do. I do realize that buy once is usually the best policy, and usually do that,but I was just wandering how one of those saws would perform with a decent blade? I think their saw is about $395 and the ellis is about $1800,I realize these saws are not really comparable; but the capacity on the grizzly would be enough for me and if the cuts were satisfactory it may be all I would need. Any opinions please. Chub
    Last edited by chub380; 06-06-2008, 02:34 PM.

  • #2
    G9742 bandsaw review

    I,ve run mine for 4 years now on a part time bases and has never let me down.I,ve used probably 5 blades in 4 yrs.The only problem i,m having is i need a new hold down knob to hold the miter position mine is stripped but grizzly sells a replacment for 20 bucks.Not an ellis by know means, but good for the buck.
    Last edited by admweld; 06-07-2008, 03:57 PM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the other grizzly I think the G4030. It's 6X9.5 not a swivel head but its water cooled, I think it was the best purchase I made yet as far as saving time. It was $600, but I have made soo much off it I cant complain.. Just make sure you buy the BI-Metal blades. The tool steel blade lasted 2 cuts on 4130 chrome moly, Im still on the 1st bi-metal blade after about 5-600 cuts so far on 4130, and 100 or so on mild steel channel.
      Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

      Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

      2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
      2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        band saw

        i ordered that $395 saw from grizzly and there out till the end
        of sept. i found the same saw at homier .com for $299.00
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          I've bought my share of Grizzly products and have been totally disappointed and frustrated, cut them up, modified them, then sold them . BUT, I also make my living doing custom fabrication and demand a lot from my machinery. If you aren't going to be hardpressed for all the Ellis has to offer, then I would agree with Admweld and save the buck and it should do you just fine. Now you can put the saved money into other tools! Have fun.

          Hey BaddOOSS, what do you think of the Barth shear? You didn't just score that on ebay recently did you? -Sorry for the hijack.
          Maxstar 200DX
          Maxstar 300DX
          Dynasty 200DX
          Passport
          Spectrum 701
          LMSW-52 spot welder

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
            I've bought my share of Grizzly products and have been totally disappointed and frustrated, cut them up, modified them, then sold them . BUT, I also make my living doing custom fabrication and demand a lot from my machinery. If you aren't going to be hardpressed for all the Ellis has to offer, then I would agree with Admweld and save the buck and it should do you just fine. Now you can put the saved money into other tools! Have fun.

            Hey BaddOOSS, what do you think of the Barth shear? You didn't just score that on ebay recently did you? -Sorry for the hijack.
            Yeah, I did in PA. It's turned out to be great, I already used it to cut some 3/16 steel plates, 4x4 for mounting plates. $139, paid for itself in one job. I did injure myself fairly bad when I picked it up though, my friend (6'3" 245 lb jacked fireman) dropped it and it crushed my pinky.... other than that it's been great.
            Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

            Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

            2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
            2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BC Iron works View Post
              i ordered that $395 saw from grizzly and there out till the end
              of sept. i found the same saw at homier .com for $299.00
              Did you order the homier?I was looking at that before i called grizzly but was skeptical about the lower price and went with grizzly.
              BB402D
              TB300D
              DIMENSION652
              MM250X
              MAXSTAR140
              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

              Comment


              • #8
                I bought the Homier swivel head saw in 2006.

                It is good enough for my requirements.

                Mike

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BC Iron works View Post
                  i ordered that $395 saw from grizzly and there out till the end
                  of sept. i found the same saw at homier .com for $299.00
                  I bought a Chinese knock-off of this saw and was sorely disappointed. It didn't even last through the project I bought it for. One of the wheel bearings got bent; plus the vise didn't even work - I had to use a clamp.
                  Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                  RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                  Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                  Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                  Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                  http://mhayesdesign.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post
                    I bought a Chinese knock-off of this saw and was sorely disappointed. It didn't even last through the project I bought it for. One of the wheel bearings got bent; plus the vise didn't even work - I had to use a clamp.

                    Exactly. This has been my experience with the knock-off machines. I purchased them in a pinch to complete a job, but always fought them and ended up modifying them to get them to work properly. In short, I was using a false economy. I had only myself to blame.

                    I'm not saying these tools are a bad choice for everyone; I can only speak from my own experiences.
                    Maxstar 200DX
                    Maxstar 300DX
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Passport
                    Spectrum 701
                    LMSW-52 spot welder

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X