Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a TB302G and have a few questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a TB302G and have a few questions.

I've used a Thunderbolt 225 welder for the past 10+ years and it finally gave up the ghost. I'll probably end up trying to fix it. Anyways, I bought a 302 so I could also weld outside of the shop, and have additional mig/tig options. My question is now, which additional equipment and supplies do I need in order to use my new 302. Can you specify for each application - MIG, DC TIG, AC TIG, and plasma cutting.

Thanks for your help.

TxRancher
    Last edited by TxRancher; 05-11-2008, 06:34 PM.

I personally wouldn't want any of it other than a set of leads unless I really needed it, just more junk to tote around. If I can help it its stick electrodes and a torch set for portable work, electric powered machines for the shop, they operate for about 10% the cost of that engine drive.

Comment

Now that you have it better make sure it's running at the correct RPM, just start it up and flip the run to idle back and forth about 3 time or so. Make sure the RPM is at 3750

It'll read out on the display.

Comment

Originally posted by TxRancher View Post
        ...which additional equipment and supplies do I need in order to use my new 302. Can you specify for each application - MIG, DC TIG, AC TIG, and plasma cutting....
        If you follow the links under the Products tab at the top, you can download the four-page specifications sheet for the TB and it will give you the exact equipment you need for any additional process.

Plasma cutters will just plug into the auxiliary power.

Comment

As to what you want would depend more on what you want or need to do. A little more info would help.

I can tell you this...how mine is set up. MIG is covered by the 12RC feeder and 75' cable. I have two VS feeders set up for flux core. TIG, which doesn't get used that much, is just a plain old 17fv , 25' torch. I mainly play with that but it works pretty well on the Lift Arc. No AC TIG....yet.
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Typical Installations

Plasma Basic Equipment
            Spectrum® 375 X-TREME™ #907 303
            Spectrum® 375 X-TREME™ with X-CASE™ #907 339
            Spectrum® 625 #907 058
            Spectrum® 2050 #903 777-01-2

Flux-Cored (FCAW) Basic Equipment
            SuitCase™ X-TREME™ 8VS #300 093
            SuitCase™ X-TREME™ 12VS #195 500

MIG (GMAW) Basic Equipment
            SuitCase™ 8RC #194 938
            SuitCase™ 12RC #194 940

Aluminum MIG (GMAW) Basic Equipment
            Spoolmatic® 30A #130 831
            WC-24 #137 549

TIG (GTAW) Basic Equipment
            Dynasty® 200 Series
            HF-251D-1 #042 388

Let's say I want to TIG, the basic equip is stated as the dynasty 200 which does stick and tig, but I already have a stick welder on my 302. So do I have to get a dynasty in order to tig with the 302 or is there a less expensive way that's compatible with my machine?

Miller 302 spec Pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
              As to what you want would depend more on what you want or need to do. A little more info would help.

I can tell you this...how mine is set up. MIG is covered by the 12RC feeder and 75' cable. I have two VS feeders set up for flux core. TIG, which doesn't get used that much, is just a plain old 17fv , 25' torch. I mainly play with that but it works pretty well on the Lift Arc. No AC TIG....yet.

So for mig I would have to get a feeder but for tig I'd just need the torch, argon, foot pedal for 14 pin? I really only need the tig so I can help my gunsmith out, he lives about 2 min from my house and his current tig welder lives an hour out.

The help is greatly appreciated.
              Last edited by TxRancher; 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Now that you have it better make sure it's running at the correct RPM, just start it up and flip the run to idle back and forth about 3 time or so. Make sure the RPM is at 3750

It'll read out on the display.

Will do.

ETA Idle is at 198x, run at 25xx. Didn't have the manual on me to adjust it, so I'll do it later.
                Last edited by TxRancher; 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Yup, that is basically it. The TIG function of the TB is either Lift Arc or Remote. To use the Lift arc, all you need is a torch with a valve and an adapter to get the gas to it. My torch is a Radnor 17FV-25-R. You can DC TIG all day with that. If you need to run aluminum, you will need to get a HF unit. The HF 251 is what Miller has for that. IIRC, it has to run on the remote side...but I could be wrong. Remote can be either foot pedal or finger tip remote...just as long as it has the 14 pin connection.

Feeders are what you want for MIG, but the spoolgun will work as well. Miller's spoolguns are not limited to alu only like the other guys. They will run steel or stainless or fluc core...whatever you want. I run the RC feeder for critical work and solid wire...and the VS for flux core and anything that requires me to be a long way from the machine. The TB302 runs wire just like a shop machine will.
                  Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                  '06 12RC feeder
                  Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                  Esab Multimaster 260
                  Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by TxRancher View Post
                    ...I really only need the tig so I can help my gunsmith out, he lives about 2 min from my house and his current tig welder lives an hour out...
                    How badly do you need to TIG from an engine-drive, though? I'd think a Maxstar 150 STH would do any gunsmithing I can think of. And, like any of the Maxstars, it'd plug into the auxiliary power, too.

Comment

I agree with Mac. You edited your post after I posted...and I would have responded differently had that been there.

Gunsmith work wouldn't be ideal at all from an engine drive. The small Maxstars or even Dynasty's would work out better in that case. Less setup, less noise, and less to drag out and roll up. Use the Dynasty/Maxstar on his power and TIG away...less hassle for all that way. Then, you can run it on the TB whenever you really need to be portable.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                        I agree with Mac. You edited your post after I posted...and I would have responded differently had that been there.

Gunsmith work wouldn't be ideal at all from an engine drive. The small Maxstars or even Dynasty's would work out better in that case. Less setup, less noise, and less to drag out and roll up. Use the Dynasty/Maxstar on his power and TIG away...less hassle for all that way. Then, you can run it on the TB whenever you really need to be portable.
                        I might as well get him to buy one, and I'll get a torch like you have to play around with.

Comment

Working...
                        X