No announcement yet.

arc blow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey is that the Lincolns metal and how to weld them book?? looks like it.

to the ones that only read about welding there are many names for things that happen while welding. as a example on the rigs here there are 10-12 things that are called horse cocks. you just pick up what the slang and trems that are used in ur area. you just get used to the slang and it becomes part of ur every day.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Comment

arc, yes you do know how to communicate at the job site. But at the same time there needs to be a consistently, proper terms are needed so everyone is talking apples and apples.
      "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger

Comment

true true but many questions put up on here are ones we dont know so we cover any "slang" that the question might pertain to because some dont know or forgot or even misinformed so that is why we post some things that are not "text book"
        trail blazer 302
        hypertherm plasma
        millermatic 251
        high feq. arc starter
        suit case (extreme 12vs)
        o/a torches
        way to many other tools to list

Comment

Wetting a 7018 to "dry it out" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. They are a low hydrogen elctrode, they need to be baked in an oven. They are not indefinite either, they have a shelf life, and should only be dried a couple of times. When opening the package, if not used within 4 hours, put in an oven at 250+F. These rods are typically used for applications sensitive to hydrogen embrittlement, let me know if this particular individual ever built any bridges. I'll be sure to take the long way around . The 6010 and 6011 rods are supposed to have a certain percentage of moisture in them.

Arc blow can be compensated for a number of ways. Switch to AC, move the work clamp, wrap the work lead around the part, up the voltage, keep a short arc length...

Comment

My sa 250 has terrible arc blow. You only notice it on flat 7018... i always wondered what might have caused it. Cruizers comment pretty much sums it up. As for a damp rod... i have a portable rod oven made by lincoln that holds 10# of rods. Its usually the first thing out of the tool box on a job that requires high quality welds.

Comment

I use 6011 these days and a while back I came across 10# of 10 I must have bought somewhere along the line. They had been laying on same side for so long they burned funny. They were in a plastic Hobart box but they hadnt moved. It appeared that maybe some of the heavier elements in the coating had "sagged" around.

Comment

Some 6010s are really bad for going bad.. Like the lincoln 5p, they don't last very long at all. I won't even buy them anymore.. I buy the 5p+

Comment

Arc blow.
                  The phenomenem of magnetising your work while electric arc welding causing your arc to wander.
                  I run into it frequently if I'm running 1/8 7018 flat and trying to run real high amperage. In this case, it is self induced. I will run 1/8 7018 flat up to 160 amps on ocation. This often will induce arc blow. I've tried all the tricks, welding toward the groundclamp, wraping the ground cable around the work, you name it. Only thing that works is turning down the amps. No ac weld current on a dc only industrial welder.
                  Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig Miller Bluestar 2E Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Torchmate CNC table Ironworker Welder Operating engineer Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
                    ...I've tried all the tricks, welding toward the groundclamp, wraping the ground cable around the work, you name it. Only thing that works is turning down the amps. No ac weld current on a dc only industrial welder.
                    Sometimes if I get arc blow at the edge of a piece I'm welding, it seems like if I tack another larger piece of steel to the edge of whatever I'm welding on – in other words, tack it to the workpiece on the opposite side of the electrode as the direction the ground clamp is – I can reduce the arc blow that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X