Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

arc blow

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc blow

has anyone had trouble with arc blow with their tb302?? i strictly run dc reverse polarity. i havent yet and have never heard of anyone with a portable ever having trouble. just curious.

Forgive me for overstating the obvious, but Arc Blow isn't specific to any welding machine engine driven or otherwise.....It is usually a result of attempting to weld on something that is affected by magnetism.

The most common methods of reducing or minimizing Arc Blow is to switch to AC (if available) or to manipulate your ground clamp to counteract the magnetic field.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Comment

no you didnt misunderstand me. i was just curious because iv come across it when i was working in the shop but not with my rig. i understabd the magnetism part of it the the AC solution. i was judt curious is all

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
        has anyone had trouble with arc blow with their tb302?? i strictly run dc reverse polarity. i havent yet and have never heard of anyone with a portable ever having trouble. just curious.
        It's also caused by: excessive coiled cables around an iron (steel) core, eg, a cable wrap, and can even be caused by a weak diode, or SCR in the machine. Not particular to any machine, static or engine driven welder as well as a magnetics in the plate or pipe you are welding.

Comment

no you didnt misunderstand me. i was just curious because iv come across it when i was working in the shop but not with my rig. i understabd the magnetism part of it the the AC solution. i was judt curious is all
          I think your question was understood. But the machine will not influence arc blow. there are several variable, the machine is not one of them

Comment

ah a old school trick if ur using a 6010. wet it and no more arc blow, some times they dry out too much and flux does not want to burn. (dont tell any one most wont agree with this but it does work and still produces a good bead.(x-ray and gamma ray passed). also it can be do to magnetism with the material and coiled cables but if that fails to be the problem try the wetting of the rod just stick it in a puddle or a buck of water but dont soak them.

Comment

that happened to last summmer, wasnt sure if it was arc blow or dry 6010, got mad and opened new sleeve, problem solved!

Comment

that works too but i usually get caught with my pants down and forgot to pick some up so the wetting trick saves the day.

Comment

hate when im caught with my pants downtold by old timer,dont know it works. if 7018 are damp run wet fingers quickly over rod and supposedly will draw the moisture out of the rod

Comment

hummm never tried that..

Comment

so you get it wetter to dry it out?

Comment

like i said never tried it, but yes get it wetter to dry it out, doesnt make sense does it

Comment

hate when im caught with my pants downtold by old timer,dont know it works. if 7018 are damp run wet fingers quickly over rod and supposedly will draw the moisture out of the rod
                          That mans been smoking crack! I short the rod out for a few seconds,cooks the moisture right out .

Comment

ending up with diffusible H at about 32

Comment

just a thought take a smoke break and go get a coffee and leave the rods in ur oven 4 a bit., but i might try that wet it more in the shop today, see how it goes(dont see it working well but then again wetting a 6010 seemed odd to me too but worked sooo.....)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.