RMLS-14 Momentary Finger Remote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMLS-14 Momentary Finger Remote

I thought I'd share this with everybody. I've been extolling the virtues of my new remote for a week or so now.

Bert asked me about my remote, so I figured I'd show in pictures what I'm doing. The design of the remote makes me wonder what they were thinking - as it seems the remote is more functional for a left hander:

I can hold hit the switch with both my thumb in this position:

And my index finger in this position:

Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

I tried it right handed and it works ok as a trigger with the index finger:

The other thing I liked about it is that it has grooves that fit into the grooves on my weldcraft torch so all I need are velcro straps to hold it in place. It doesn't move (I didn't want to use electrical tape as the directions suggested - what a mess).

After looking at the pins in the connector, it's obvious that it is nothing more than an on-off circuit completing switch, so my thought is to make a custom trigger.

Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Uhmmm, how about some pics of the welds you are putting out with that.
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
        Uhmmm, how about some pics of the welds you are putting out with that.
        Granted it's not a foot pedal replacement. I like it mostly to tack weld. But since I've been restricted to working in the dirt in the back yard, it's been a welcome substitute to dragging around the pedal in the dirt.

I'll post some beautiful welds tomorrow.
        Miller Maxstar 200 DX
        Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
        Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

thanks for the pics and the info!!! So...I'm guessing that you put the amps all the way up? and just hit that switch to go off and on at whatever amps you set it at?
          thanks tassle!!!
          I'm not late...
          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Since a pic is worth a 1000 words, you just posted a 6,000 word essay. THANK YOU!! From a hobby weldor who wondered about 'that thingy'.

Is the Velcro long enough to fasten it 'button up' on the left side of the torch? Or would that be 'reverse polarity' for the Velcro?

That '2 pin' photo is pretty amazing. I would have thought it needed many more.

FWIW: I had a tool at work that I used radiator hose clamps to fasten to the handle. It looked like sh!t. But after I figured out which way to 'aim' the screws, it worked very well. However, all pieces were made of steel.
            Last edited by Craig in Denver; 04-11-2008, 11:40 PM.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              thanks for the pics and the info!!! So...I'm guessing that you put the amps all the way up? and just hit that switch to go off and on at whatever amps you set it at?
              thanks tassle!!!
              Nope. I've been running it at around 110A, 90 for the sharp corners. Yep it just goes off at that setting.
              Miller Maxstar 200 DX
              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
              Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                Since a pic is worth a 1000 words, you just posted a 6,000 word essay. THANK YOU!! From a hobby weldor who wondered about 'that thingy'.

Is the Velcro long enough to fasten it 'button up' on the left side of the torch? Or would that be 'reverse polarity' for the Velcro?

That '2 pin' photo is pretty amazing. I would have thought it needed many more.

FWIW: I had a tool at work that I used radiator hose clamps to fasten to the handle. It looked like sh!t. But after I figured out which way to 'aim' the screws, it worked very well. However, all pieces were made of steel.
                It's odd the way they did it. It wouldn't be possible to do button up on the left side. You'd have to flip the switch around and then you'd have to cord going up in the air.

8" Velcro straps. Got'em at Home Depot in the electrical section. Really nice.
                Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Thanks Tassle!!!!!!!!!! Oh, btw, Craig in Denver wanted to give you a
                  BBBIIIIIIGGGGGGGG HHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I'll just shake your hand..........
                  I'm not late...

Comment

You have it mounted higher than intended...the bottom should be about flush with the bottom of your handle.
                    You also have it 90 degrees off...it should be on the rear off the handle with the button pointed left so when you wrap your hand around it it is perfect for your thumb.
                    Then you just slide it around as needed according to you body position in relation to your work.
                    If you are a southpaw then you need to rip off the velcro and re-glue it the other way.
                    HTH

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                      You have it mounted higher than intended...the bottom should be about flush with the bottom of your handle.
                      Yeah. I should have stated that I knew that. I moved it up to make it more comfortable to me when I weld. I have shaky hands so the higher up the torch I hold it the better.

You also have it 90 degrees off...it should be on the rear off the handle with the button pointed left so when you wrap your hand around it it is perfect for your thumb.
                      Then you just slide it around as needed according to you body position in relation to your work.
                      Ahh. That makes sense for the righties. Oddly, the owners manual shows mounting it on the side that I mounted it on.

If you are a southpaw then you need to rip off the velcro and re-glue it the other way.
                      HTH
                      The velcros not glued. It didn't come with any attachment device. The manual specifies taping it. I did the velcro so I could remove it.

I attached the image from the manual below:
                      Attached Files
                      Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                      Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                      Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

That's wierd...my east-west controller had the velcro with it.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

All the ones I've seen at the tent sales all came with velcro!!! SUE 'EM!!
                          I'm not late...

Comment

I own the north-south (hate it) and it came with velcro so I was surprised when I found the momentary didn't. But the pic I posted showed taping it so oh well. The velcro strips I got at HD are much better than the ones that came with my n-s, they're much flatter and stronger.

The momentary doesn't have grooves or slots in it for velcro straps like the n-s does. I couldn't imagine why they made the housing so big if all it contains is the switch and routing for two wires.
                            Last edited by tasslehawf; 04-12-2008, 11:37 AM.
                            Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                            Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                            Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post
                              I couldn't imagine why they made the housing so big if all it contains is the switch and routing for two wires.
                              probably for people with shaky hands (parkinson's disease) and dyslexia...
                              (easier to grip if it's bigger)
                              I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                              X