skid vs trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skid vs trailer

how many guys out there are running 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with skid units versus 1/2 tons pulling a trailer with equipment? i am thinking of downsizing to a 1/2 ton and trailer. i experience the drawbacks of the big truck. what are the negatives of the trailer idea??
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

What sort of drawbacks are you experiencing with a big truck? It may help others give you the benefits and drawbacks of a trailer setup.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I say stick with the truck even tho I have a trailer. I thought about both but I like the portability of the truck. Easier to back into a tite spot, better in the mud without a trailer. I had a 1/2 ton and bought a 18ft trailer to set it up for welding only to get a 3/4 ton diesel 3 months later because it hauled better. Three years later I have the dually and the trailer but the truck is loaded and ready 90% of the time.
      Mike
      MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
      mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

Comment

i think trailers are a waste altough it does depend one what your doing with itif your working one a fab job were you dont move at all trailer works but if your pipelineing total waste. i dunno i prefer the truck indefinatly. i found a sweet skid set up that i like but would definatly make changes too it's a place out of saskatoon.

www.acemfginc.com click on new products i think it is
        your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
        2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
        PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
        here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

I'd vote for the truck over the trailer. I used to work out of a trailer and found it a PITA to get into spots and park. My new truck solves that problem. The only down side I see with my new truck is the decrease in MPG. Thank you US gov. for my new scrubber! All said I would rather pay the extra fuel then have the trailer again. I'm just going to have to look for other ways to improve the MPG of the new truck.

Comment

I'm running a skid on a truck t the moment and keep it like that the majority of the time. Easy to get into places and less hassle overall. I pull trailers every week and it gets very old. With a skid, I can put the welder on the truck or trailer as needed. Once in a while, it works out better on the trailer. IMO, a work truck should never be under 3/4t. 1/2t and a trailer can eat as much or more fuel.
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

i went to that website that lynx mentioned, SHINY!!. pretty costly id think. i might just stay with my skid unit. may just have to redesign it. will have to look at mpg increaseers for my truck too, and by a trailer to haull my stuff with.
              07 f350 duallie w/deck
              07 tb302d
              victor torch
              matthey beveler
              assorted hand tools

Comment

I use a trailer set up as a portable workshop.If my truck breaks down,i just hook the trailer to another truck but a truck and skid is definately easier to manouver around.I just prefer to have all my equipment handy and enclosed and out of the snow and rain.
                Trailblazer 302
                Suitcase 12vs
                spoolmatic 3
                victor journeymanx2
                esab multimaster260
                esab handy plasma 550
                Makita grinders
                Lathe
                21cfm honda compressor
                f350 superduty 4x4
                Lots of bills lol

Comment

The major reason to use a trailer seems obvious, its usually that you don't want to keep a truck rigged up full time. If I was working all week the trailer would get old real fast and a light truck doesn't allow for carrying enough stuff.

Comment

welding job types

My company runs both trucks with welders and trailers with welders. Everyone seems to think truck,truck truck, but its really going to depend on the type of welding you plan to take on. Also, do you want to use the 1/2 ton for a personal get around town vehicle (ie go to the store), then yes a 1/2 ton is the truck for you.
                    5 welding Rigs
                    14 various shop weld machines
                    150x80 shop full of metal working tools

Comment

I found it hard enough to carry enough on a light 3/4 and didn't want to keep it loaded or play hookon all the time although in the long run a trailer would work for me now as the need is very limited. If the work is daily I want it ready to go, grab fresh coffee and jump in. This kind of setup includes having everything,, no robbing grinders, etc for the shop. Too easy to forget.
                      I also have a complete skid setup that comes off this little trailer and slips in the back of a pickup.
                      Attached Files

Comment

We got a 25 ft Box truck and a 18ft box truck.Miller trailblazer ac/dc in one ,Big40 cc/cv deluxe ac/dc in the other. Keeps your stuff secure no matter where you go! We put doors on the side so you can access the front of the machine.Here's a pic , it's cluttered, but we were loading up at end of big job. The machine in the pic has bought everything else,it should be dipped in gold!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by weldngod; 04-02-2008, 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot pic
                        2 TRAILBLAZER 302s AC/DC
                        1 BIG40 DELUXE AC/DC
                        2 MILLER HIGH FREQ. BOXES
                        1 MILLER COOLMATE
                        1 SPECTRUM 2050 PLASMA CUTTER
                        1 SPOOLMATIC 30A
                        1 MILLERMATIC 140
                        1 LINCOLN LN-25 SUITCASE CC/CV
                        INGERSOLL-RAND GAS POWERED AIR COMP.
                        AND 2 BOX TRUCKS FULL OF TOOLS

WWW.HOTWORXINC.COM

Comment

Heres a truck for ya.... Its our newest road truck. Its a 2008 IH 7400 with service body. The welder in the side bin is a Miller Big blue Air pac. The welder is awesome, It'll jump start a dead diesel no problem. Also the built in rotary screw compressor operates a 3/4" impact very well. Pics aren't that great, terriable camera. Spent all our budget on the truck...ha ha ha
                          Attached Files
                          Scott
                          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

that truck is purrty. not sure i would ever need a setup like that.most service trucks ive seen around here are not that big, they need to be smaller just for manoueverability.that and the roads around here after a 1/10 of rain can be slipperier thn goose s**t.that service truck only loohs about 5ft shorter than our R.M. fire truck, and theres places we cant take that due to conditions. im curious, has anyone ever had any trouble with overheating their welder having it mounted inside a truck body??
                            07 f350 duallie w/deck
                            07 tb302d
                            victor torch
                            matthey beveler
                            assorted hand tools

Comment

duh!!

huh, looks like i just answered my own question from the beginning of the thread!!
                              07 f350 duallie w/deck
                              07 tb302d
                              victor torch
                              matthey beveler
                              assorted hand tools

Comment

Working...
                              X