New Syncrowave 180SD for $1400?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Syncrowave 180SD for $1400?????

I can buy a brand new Miller Syncrowave 180SD with the following accessories:

Foot Control
    Regulator
    2 unopened packages of Thoriated Tung Electrodes
    20 pounds of stainless and aluminum filler rod

All in new condition, never hooked up or used for $1400

I currently have a Millermatic 185 MIG machine, but I have the need to weld SS and Aluminum with cosmetic welds........

I was going to buy a China machine for around $1000. I believe the extra $400 is well spent?

Comments?

Thanks
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

spend the extra $400, you will be glad you did. take a look at filler prices, that 20Lbs is a nice bonus. the syncrowave 180 is a nice welder with a solid reputation.
    a new syncrowave 200 threw the net is $1,862.oo
    http://store.cyberweld.com/milsyn180sd2.html
    thats without running gear and no filler wire, but it would have pulse and a few more top end amps. also a warranty.
    are you buying from a privet party or a welding store ?? may be able to get a little better deal if ya show up with $$ in hand and a truck to take it away.

welcome to the forum, hang around. its got lots to offer.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Yep, good deal, go for it. Still under warranty?

you'll love the 180SD!

Bob

Comment

Yes, still under warrantee.

I hear you about spending another $400 and going up to the 200 model. But I'm already $800 over my budget, I started out thinking I was going to by a Chinese 160 amp AC/DC unit and now I'm up to $1400...........And I'll use it very infrequently as a hobby machine.........

But I do wish it had pulse....I understand that makes a good welder great.

thanks
        RoyB
        Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
        Miller Diversion 165
        Purox W200 O/A
        Grizzly 9957 Mill
        Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
        TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto View Post
          But I do wish it had pulse....I understand that makes a good welder great.

thanks

pulse has it's place, i welded professionally for almost 10 years, during that time never used a machine with the pulse option and got along just fine. a few years back i bought a Syncrowave 350 with the pulse option installed, i used it on some stainless projects, welded some beer cans together and welded an aluminum radiator with it other than that i never turned it on. now that i have gotten out of the professional welding field, i recently purchased a 200DX and while it's pulsing and arc shaping abilities are phenominal (looking forward to welding some more beer cans with the 200) i think all the buttons and options would be very confusing to a hobyist.

long story short, being a hobby use machine i think the 180 will do whatever you need it to do, pulse is nice in certain applications but you can definatly get along without it!!
          The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

long story short, being a hobby use machine i think the 180 will do whatever you need it to do, pulse is nice in certain applications but you can definatly get along without it!!
            Thanks for the good advise......

When I bought my Millermatic 185 MIG machine, the folks at the welding supply shop really tried to talk me into a much bigger and more expensive machine. I've owned the MM185 for years, built all kinds of stuff with it and never had a need for more features or power.
            I believe I will end up the same way with the SW180. Mostly I'll be doing small welds on motorcycle frames and building skid plates, aluminum painers (luggage) and various SS and Aluminum luggage racks. It will also be used in the gunsmithing trade to fill in pits and holes in old rifles and pistols and such........For this I need very concentrated heat, and TIG is the best way to go..

Thanks again.......
            RoyB
            Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
            Miller Diversion 165
            Purox W200 O/A
            Grizzly 9957 Mill
            Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
            TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

syncor 180

sorry, you misunderstood me. i meant spend the extra $400 and get the syncro180. the syncro 200 was just for you to use as a gage. possibly to get a better price on the 180. $400 to go from china crap to a syncrowave is $ well spent. the 180 will like tigman250 said cover hobby needs. if ya start making some $ with it and want to go to a fancier one later fine, let the synco180 buy it for ya.
              you should be very happy with the 180.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Hi,

I want to bring this thread back up.

I was wondering if stores still carry the 180SD?

I am somewhat in the same position as the person who started this thread, and currently I have a Miller DC tig, and would like to get something that can do AC and still stick to the miller brand.

The Dynasty is out of the question because of the cost (though I wish I can afford it). So, the next one up is the SW200 but its kinda pricy too, plus it sucks up more amprage (although I havent check to see what the 180sd sucks).

So, back to my question I guess...can someone still buy a 180SD?

Thank you.

Regards,
                Cleaver
                newbi welder

Comment

you might be able to find a 180SD floor model but its not likely. it also uses the same power in as the SW200 so no savings there.
                  nothing against Miller we would all love to have one, but if $ is a real problem you might consider the TA185. its an inverter very similar to the Dyn200 for much less $$. it dose not have a 120V option but with 240V it draws only 30 amps or less. many here have it, as do I. its a solid unit with a great arc and excellent track record for being a solid unit.. i got mine for $1,700 complete with every thing except gas, but i think they are up to $2000 now.
                  you might also look at used Dyn200's but not that easy to find. ask your local dealer if that have any trade ins or possibly rental units, check e-bay.
                  good luck.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

Syncrowave 180SD

There are still several 180SD's available. email anytime. weldersales

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      you might be able to find a 180SD floor model but its not likely. it also uses the same power in as the SW200 so no savings there.
                      nothing against Miller we would all love to have one, but if $ is a real problem you might consider the TA185. its an inverter very similar to the Dyn200 for much less $$. it dose not have a 120V option but with 240V it draws only 30 amps or less. many here have it, as do I. its a solid unit with a great arc and excellent track record for being a solid unit.. i got mine for $1,700 complete with every thing except gas, but i think they are up to $2000 now.
                      you might also look at used Dyn200's but not that easy to find. ask your local dealer if that have any trade ins or possibly rental units, check e-bay.
                      good luck.
                      Hmm...ill ask my local shop.

THe thing with TA is that we dont have a dealer here locally..so if anything goes for servicing and etc..I would need to ship it out. But Miller we have a local dealer, thats one of the factors why I want to stay with Miller. I have heard good things with TA.

Thanks again...ill keep checking
                      newbi welder

Comment

ask your Miller dealer if he services the TA you may find as i did that they do. not that they are in any way conected, just that a good service department will be able to service most units and may well be autherized to work on the TA's. thermal arc is a good sized company, unlike some of the cheepo imports. may well be worth a phone call.
                        good luck, TIG is great fun once you get the hang of it.

dont get me wrong i would rather have a Dyn200DX any day and may well upgrade to one if i can get the TA to make me some $$$. but on my income the TA was the only trusted option. i cant suply the power needed for a syncrowave or would have gone that way.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

ask your Miller dealer if he services the TA you may find as i did that they do. not that they are in any way conected, just that a good service department will be able to service most units and may well be autherized to work on the TA's. thermal arc is a good sized company, unlike some of the cheepo imports. may well be worth a phone call.
                          good luck, TIG is great fun once you get the hang of it.

dont get me wrong i would rather have a Dyn200DX any day and may well upgrade to one if i can get the TA to make me some $$$. but on my income the TA was the only trusted option. i cant suply the power needed for a syncrowave or would have gone that way.
                          Hmm...so the sycro180 drinks as much juice as the syncro200 huh? hmmm.

Well, my breaker panel right now uses a 40amps breaker which is a sub pannel connected to my main pannel that runs a 60amp breaker.

If I ever get a sycro180 or 200, I will most likely be only welding at the MOST like 130amp!?! Its mostly automotive work so I dont see myself doing ALOT of amperage. If I stick to my 40amp breaker, I can still connect it to the Sycro and it wouldn't damage the machine right? Because if I dont set the amperage of the machine very high it doesn't consume that much amps in the breaker anyway...RIGHT?!?! or am I confused? OR did I get you confused? hehe..

But I will go and ask them once i get the chance to go to the shop maybe they still have some 180sd left that they want to sell off?!?! and get a good deal? hehe.

I actually have a DC tig right now (miller maxstar 152 with HF Snap start II). its a good unit, its just I wanted to upgrade to an AC/DC tig so I can learn how to weld aluminum...OOoooo!

Thank you for your replies!! Good help is hard to find these days
                          newbi welder

Comment

i know some people have run transformers with lower amp breakers than recommended, not some thing i would recommend or do myself. but its been done. an inverter would be a better option.
                            if your main panel is only 60 amps with a sub of 40, i have to wonder what all else is being used ?? look at the hole panels draw. you don't want to strike an arc and have the wife come out of the house with a pissed off look and a frying pan due to you popping the breaker on her soap opera's.

i have a limited feed to my shop and it feeds more than just my welder. think about what else will be getting used. air compressor is a big draw but you also have lights, radio, fan's and so one going on. don't stretch your self too thin.

P.S. aluminum TIG is fun.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

i know some people have run transformers with lower amp breakers than recommended, not some thing i would recommend or do myself. but its been done. an inverter would be a better option.
                              if your main panel is only 60 amps with a sub of 40, i have to wonder what all else is being used ?? look at the hole panels draw. you don't want to strike an arc and have the wife come out of the house with a pissed off look and a frying pan due to you popping the breaker on her soap opera's.

i have a limited feed to my shop and it feeds more than just my welder. think about what else will be getting used. air compressor is a big draw but you also have lights, radio, fan's and so one going on. don't stretch your self too thin.

P.S. aluminum TIG is fun.
                              Well, the 60amp breaker that is hooked up from my main service panel is a dedicated breaker that goes to my garage. So if it trips, only that sub pannel will not work.

I have another 120v 20amp line there and also a 30amp breaker for my compressor. I can easily hook up another 220v 60amp, but then it would suck up all the juice and I wouldnt be able to use the other equipments

Thats why I wanted to know if I just use my 40amp breaker if its safe? Like does the sycro constantly suck up 54amps? Or only when your like using the machine upto its full potential?

Right now, I dont see myself using very high amprage if I ever do get a Sycro.. maybe some miller people can chime in on this?!

Thanks!

Cleaver
                              newbi welder

Comment

Working...
                              X