Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's your job

I manage the website design and development group for denniskirk.com

I started stick welding back in high school on the farm, and then got a MIG about seven years ago. I just got my first Miller (have had Lincoln and no-name until now) on Monday... a big 330 A/BSP machine... Now I've got to learn how to TIG!

Ben
    henrysrodshop.com

Comment

What's your job?

After graduating from HS in 1969 I started working in a fabrication shop. They started me doing small weld jobs with all the other items that I had to do there. I was drafted into the US Army for two years and then returned to the same fabrication shop. I figured I would take advantage of the GI Bill, so I went to Lincoln Electric for their ten week program. Returned to work for another year then went to Hobart for more education. Shortly there after I left to work in a repair shop fixing equipment for the steel industry in the Buffalo, NY area. With the steel industry closing down, I then got a job working as a maintenance tool and die welder with General Motors. I stayed there for thirty years and recently retired. I taught welding at the University of Buffalo part time from 2000 to 2002. Recently since retirement at the end of last year, I decided to share my experience. I have started working for a local company, Quality Inspection Services as a welding instructor.

I always tell people, I'm just a young guy with a lot of miles. I have a interest in welded metal sculpture and have done some small floral sculptures out of Stainless Steel. Someday I would like to do items like Weldress has shown on the site.
      Skip

Comment

No job. Retired. Don't "work" anymore!

My hobbies are searching for the perfect brew-pub, fishing, cooking, wood and metal work, and the "happiness of pursuit".

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Well now I work for a crane service as a field service tech. Job includes welding, electrical installation and trouble shooting, mechanical trouble shooting.
          I was a machinist for seventeen years till I decided I didn't like the direction the profession was going. So I managed a facilities maintenance dept for four years then found the crane job. Different everyday no boss to breath down your neck or micro manage you to death. and it pays better then standing in front of a machine all day.
          Now I use the machines for MY stuff I want to make.
          Kerry
          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
          Auto shades are for rookies
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

self tought welder, started as a grounds keeper at the local hospital, now im the shop welder/fabricator in the maintenance dept. attending welding voc. school now..

Comment

I am a manager at an AIRGAS store in woburn Ma,startred welding in highscholl and have always been a motorhead,and into anything with a motor on it

Comment

I am a R&D manager for a medical device manufacturer. I don't weld for my job, but as an engineer you can not have enough technical skills nor TOOLS! I started out in a technical high school and always enjoyed working with metal.

Comment

self-taught tig welder who races motorcycles. many parts of my race bike are custom welded and machined alum.
                  miller dynasty 350
                  miller spectrum 1000

Comment

I'm a blacksmith, and sculptor. (Haven't seen that job description here yet.) Trained in the old ways: coal forge, anvil, hammer. Traditional welding is done in the forge, at a welding heat of about 2350 F.
                    But hey, MIG is great. As is plasma cutting. And one of these days I'm going to get my Dynasty 200 up and running! I swear!
                    But down here in the south of Mexico, hand tools are still the rule. Hand hack saws, and hand filing. And a lot of chisel work.
                    The forges burn charcoal, not coal. It's a different, wonderful world. Incredible! And the local version of tequila, called mezcal, is oh so tasty!
                    Saludos.

Comment

Herrero the Sculputor

Herrero do you have any pictures of your expertise in sculpting? I'd love to see any you may have.
                      Skip

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
                        No job. Retired. Don't "work" anymore!

My hobbies are searching for the perfect brew-pub, fishing, cooking, wood and metal work, and the "happiness of pursuit".

Hank
                        My dad keeps syaing he will never retire, but he looks foward to his future job of cashing cheques for the government.
                        Dynasty 200DX, first generation
                        Makita 5" grinder
                        Makita 14" abrasive saw
                        IR SS5L compressor
                        Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
                        and a wish list a mile long

Comment

I am a technician [mechanic] by trade. Learned to weld when I was a teen from my dad who had a small equipment repair shop[still does]. Been a mechanic for 25 years mostly on electric utility/aerial fleet equipment. Been to several welding classes over the years on a couple different process's. Learned TIG [still learning] on my own. Currently am a shop foreman with 10 mechanics and 450 vehicles to maintain and have worked here for 20 yrs. Have done quit a bit of field welding and fabricating in the repair of construction equipment. Also have small side business where I do mostly TIG aluminum work but some trailer repairs as well. Which I plan to mess with when I retire.

ps: I also was in the Marine Corps for 4 yrs, you can say what you want, I didn't like the gas chamber, but it won't kill you. If you like snot all down your face, you'll love it
                          Good luck in the Navy
                          Scott
                          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

what is your job?

Hello, and here is the low done on my job, at present time I'm working for a aluminum truck body manuf in lower Michigan as the alu-tig welder, before this I was the top alu-tig welder for Haulmark trailers in Bristol,Ind(previous post-what would you do) building such items as race products,cabinets,pit-pals,alu-ramps,alu-hoist, pretty much any thing that had to do with racing ind I built it for top notch race teams, and before that I was leadwelder at another trailer comp were we built lumber dumpers and truss roll-off for Wicks and other construction companys.

I have no formal training othe then self taught by trial & error and of course some wise old timers along the way and a few books now and then just for referance perps, I have been in the welding trade for over 20yrs, origanlly started as a fill in for hitch product company out of MI back in 86 and I just went from there with the willingness to learn as much as possabile to try to do the best to my teachings.

As for now also I'm setting up my own shop for doing custom welding and building trailers and race products for different customers along with farm repairs in the area for our Amish friends.

So that kind of sums it up in a nut shell about my job as for right now but like we say here in Mi wait 5min and it might change for the right amount of money any other questions or intrest in what I weld for fun u can shoot me a line.
                            Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
                            RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
                            Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
                            Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
                            DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                            Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
                            Lincoln 225 arc welder
                            Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
                            assortment bar clamps

Comment

Been welding for 22 yrs now.
                              Journeyman Red-Seal welder, B-Pressure ticket,CWB all position stick.lots of Mig,Tig,Gouging,Fitting,Rigging,etc...
                              started out in a culvert plant as the mill operator. http://www.mailleartisans.org/articl...y.cgi?key=8695
                              Worked in a pulp mill doing maitenance for both pipeing and electrical welding.
                              then moved on to steel and aluminum truck bodies and tool boxes.
                              worked for a machine shop doing build up,equipment repairs,line boring,etc...
                              have now been working out of a mobile shop doing everything from A-Z.

Comment

Your Job

I Have Been Welding For Some 30 Some Yrs Have Done Mig Tig Stick On Lots Of Things Like A Commercial Washer And Dryer A Paint Line Dryer Rail Cars Jigs And Fixtures To Mass Produce ...
                                Airport Jetways Helicopter Shipping Skids Repaired Machinery Of All Kinds Do Some Machine Shop I Consider Myself A Welder /fabricator I Have Been Blessed With Imagination And Abilities To Do Lots Of Things At This Time I Am Working Fulltime And Also Have A Shop On The Side

Comment

Working...
                                X