Tig Pen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Pen

has anyone used or are now using a tig pen filler feeder ?

rookie here having a hard time feeding the filler, especially with gloves on, and was thinking about getting one.

is it a thumb wheel type feeder system, or how does it work, feed the filler ?

i know you old pros are gonna suggest against it....... LOL......

but i am getting frustrated in having to either stop the arc to feed, or push the filler through my fingers while pushing it against my helmet or chest....
    thanks...
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

yes, it does seem that maybe i am using too small a filler maybe, but the pros at my work can run a single bead using the entire length of 36 inch filler without stopping.
    then manipulate there fingers in such a manner the filler just advances in their hand as if it were a mig wire. LOL.
    i can do it fairly good without gloves, but with gloves i can not do it at all.

i guess it will come with time....thanks....
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125

Comment

FabMan a easy way to cheat is to stick the rod in the puddle back the torch off, slip your hand back, remelt your rod out of the puddle and continue on.

In time you will start feedeing before you know it.

Comment

If the pen helps you then you should consider purchasing one but it will make the transition back to manual feeding all that much harder to learn. Manual feeding comes with practice and time. Try welding with different gloves as there are lots of choices on glove materials that will help with hand dexterity.
        I have had jobs that required welding non stop over a 50 plus minute cycle where I would place 8 pcs of 36 inch welding wire under my leg while sitting in the chair that I would use during the welding process. I never could have done that with the tig pen so there is limitations to that tool.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

There is an interesting discussion of a technique for feeding TIG filler that isn't what I would have come up with at:

http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/weld...eed_extra.html

Whether or not you like the technique, if you can find a period during the day to practice, it would help. Just put on your usual gloves and feed a couple of feet of wire (looped at both ends, to avoid accidents). Keep working at it until you come up with a technique that you can do without thinking about it.

Comment

I hold the rod between my middle and ring finger and feed it forward using my index finger and thumb.

Comment

FABMAN,
              The tig pen works simply by rolling a small wheel "rearward" to feed the filler forward. It work fine but the ones I have are too clunky for my taste.
              Try cutting your filler in half or thirds to make them smaller. I teach my beginners to push the back of the filler against their shoulder or chest when needing to get more length. I usually don't use gloves for my filler hand but if you insist, get the thinnest glove available for that hand.
              If you have the dexterity to use chopsticks, feeding filler will be easy to learn.

Good luck
              Andy

Comment

Propulsion is right, the right gloves mak a difference.

Comment

once you learn manual feeding you wont look back at gizmo's like that, and the only way to learn manual feeding is to practice
                  mm210
                  maxstar 150

Comment

One of my welders had one in there tool box.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My advice is to forget the tig pen. It will only be a crutch that will prevent you from learning better techniques.

Comment

thanks for all the very helpful info guys. next time i order some supplies i might get one just to try ir out, and maybe keep for the real thin fillers i may use.
                        but like some of you said, i just need to practice in my spare time feeding the old fashioned way.
                        reason i always use a gloves on my filler hand is i once touched the filler to tungsten with a bare hand, and needless to say, the jolted the heck out of me, and dont want that to happen ever again. LOL.
                        thanks again...
                        SyncrowaveŽ 200
                        Lincoln AC/DC 225/125

Comment

Originally posted by FABMAN
                          thanks for all the very helpful info guys. next time i order some supplies i might get one just to try ir out, and maybe keep for the real thin fillers i may use.
                          but like some of you said, i just need to practice in my spare time feeding the old fashioned way.
                          reason i always use a gloves on my filler hand is i once touched the filler to tungsten with a bare hand, and needless to say, the jolted the heck out of me, and dont want that to happen ever again. LOL.
                          thanks again...
                          like one person said chop the filler rod in half that will make it easier to weld with, heck to be honest at work I chop mine in have if it is a 1/8th filler. Some days I find myself really shaky and i don't need that extra wire flopping all over the place messing with me while I weld. The welding pen is kinda cool device but like Engloid said it's just a crutch learn to use your hands. I know this may sound crazy but when I was learning to feed I would carry half a filler rod wire in my car or if i was sitting at home watching a movie I'd practice with feeding the wire. I know it sounds goofy but really it helped me to learn.

Chris

Comment

I cut the wire in half if I'm doing a short weld. If I plan to use more of it before lifting my hood, I just hold the wire in my hand such that the back end of it is lying on my forearm, to stabilize it.

Comment

I use my tig pen for feeding thinner fillers. Like the .045 or .035 tend to curl and n the larger scale fillers it takes practice. Try this excercise take a piece of filler and while sitting watching TV shuffle it through your fingers, flip it over using one hand and keep feeding it through.

I am not as good at it as I might like but in rescent years I haven't had much practice and just 2 weeks ago bam a huge amount of Aluminum Tig work, nice to get the practice. Arthritis is a bummer and makes it harder than it used to be.

Peace,

Comment

Working...
                              X