Used Hypertherm Max 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Hypertherm Max 20

I have a chance to look at a Hypertherm max 20 that's used but in good condition. Is this too old of a unit for replacement parts?
    I believe the asking price is around $100 give or take, yes or no for the price?
    Will this unit cut thru mesh without a restart everytime it cuts thru a section?
    What would the material thickness limits be for a clean cut?
    Thanks in advance.

Anyone?
    I have less than a hour before the business closes besides other people have shown an intrest.
    Parts still available should I buy it?

Comment

I'm probably too late, but consumables are still available.

Comment

I just got back, it's still there and in an estate antique store no less.
        On the back is an inspection tag dated 11-76 plus a filter/regulator.
        My fear was replacement consumable parts for a 31 year old machine.
        My guess is clean cutting up to 3/16" material and thicker with lower quality.
        This unit had a $125 tag marked down to $115 I bet he'll go lower, **** a good condition Skillsaw for $40.
        I'll talk to him on tuesday and thanks for the information.

Comment

Carl, if you do score it, Hypermax.org, seems to have the best selection of parts (torches and leads as well as consumables), and may have internal parts as well.

Comment

Quick answers with great people makes this forum the best around, thanks for the parts address. I know a small plasma machine but then it's for home hobby use like the 350 Synchro, 251 w/30A, lathe and Bridgeport.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl W. View Post
              I know a small plasma machine but then it's for home hobby use like the 350 Synchro, 251 w/30A, lathe and Bridgeport.
              believe me for that price i'd camp out to score it, there is one on E-bay going for $600 "buy it now" and it's broken (needs work).

it appears the MAX20 uses the PAC110 torch, the same torch is used on the Hypertherm PowerMax 350 & PowerMax 380(?) so consumables may be available at any LWS.

Comment

What is the air pressure required to run this machine plus the clearance between the torch and and the materal cut? I know nothing abot plasmas.
                Will it sever .200" material, quality not an issue plus what is the maximum thickness for a quality cut?
                When I go to test it what thickness material should I use and how many seconds per inch should I expect.
                Thanks everyone.

Comment

What is the air pressure required to run this machine plus the clearance between the torch and and the materal cut? I know nothing
                  Will it sever .200" material, quality not an issue plus what is the maximum thickness for a quality cut?
                  When I go to test it what thickness material should I use and how many seconds per inch should I expect?
                  Thanks everyone.

Comment

pressure 60-65PSI
                    sever 0.25
                    quality 0.187
                    rated 0.125

speed? 20-21" rated, 15-16" quality, SLOW" sever. these speeds may differ until you get comfortable.
                    stand off 1/16" maybe a lil' bit more. you could drag this machine, but it's harder on the consumables (double arcing)

manual: https://www.hypertherm.com/library/f...)/800710r4.pdf

PAC110 repair instructions: https://www.hypertherm.com/library/f...)/801200r0.pdf

literature email request: literature.request@hypertherm.com

street address and tele.:
                    Hypertherm, Inc.
                    Etna Road, P.O. Box 5010 Hanover
                    NH 03755 USA
                    603-643-3441 Tel (Main Office)
                    800-643-0030 Tel - Toll Free in USA and Canada

pdf of torch consumables and parts:
                    http://www.hypertherm.com/languages/...X20_oldrev.pdf

Comment

Thanks pumpkinhead, your a geat help to me on this as I know nothing.
                      The War Department aka wifes a little PO'ed as I came home with a slightly used Ryobi power planer and a brand new Freud biscuit jointer that I need, heck it was only $75 out the door. She'll get over it going for the plasma next.
                      With your specs on cutting thickness plus Ray a manager for Hypertherm he stated I can get replacement parts on everything the max 20 has.
                      Out the door checking on the machine. Thanks again. carl.....=o&o>.....

Comment

just show the wife a price tag off a new one and she should be really pleased with the one you got.
                        congrats, you are going to love plasma cutting once you get the hang of it.
                        you can make her some yard art to keep her happy...or get her back to happy. cool thing about it is you can make yard critters of what ever she is into. just find a pic and trace it on and cut.
                        Attached Files
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

As of 6:00 PM this afternoon I became a proud owner of a clean fully functional Hypertherm Max 20, sucker cost me 100 clams no tax.
                          The only thing strange when cutting it would stop if the tip wasn't dragged across the material, I thought a /16" clearance was needed? What do I know?
                          I should shut up and read the owners manual pumkinhead, I like the yard art fun4now posted. I have a lot of driveway art aka keeper junk that count?
                          Ray at Hypertherm has also been very supportive, great to have this when owning their product.
                          Again all, thanks for the quick replies, I have the need to cut something up.

Comment

i wonder if the HF might be out keeping it from jumping the gap???
                            make shore you have a good ground when cutting. a little stand off usualy helps the cut quality.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

Later this morning i'll have more time to work on it and check things out.
                              So I should be able to start the HF arc with the torch 1/16"
                              off the metal with the plasma arc provided the HF is there to jump the gap.
                              If the HF is not working with the same 1/16" clearance off the
                              metal it shouldn't start or jump the gap at all correct? How big a gap can the HF jump if it's working?
                              For a quick test I ran it with 50' of 14 awg cord, I know it's not 12 awg.
                              I had 65 psi at the compressor with the same at the filter / regulator on the plasma machine. I did not do a dynamic air flow checking the regulator on the machine, another test to do. It's way past my sack time i'll post my findings.

Comment

Working...
                              X