Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

375 X-treme vs Powermax 30

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 375 X-treme vs Powermax 30

Miller vs Hypertherm? any insight would be appreciated. Local dealer recommends the P 30 but like to stick with Blue.

Should be Miller vs thermaldyne......

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Should be Miller vs thermaldyne......
      why is that?

Comment

T-dyne have come a long way in making a techology speaking superior product. Prices are good, service is as quick as Miller. Still T-dyne guns are way better than any other brand and factory consumables are cheaper as well.

Not sure on how this group would rate thier products.

Comment

I rate the Thermal Dynamics torch as big and hard to get in small places. Ask my friend that barrow my 375 when his 1-Torch on his Thermal wont fit.

I personally like the Esab torches the best.

Comment

I always thought a plasma cutter was a plasma cutter, there's really not a whole lotta difference between them. You gotta consider the specific use and application, plus the availability and cost of the consumables. Myself, I went with the Thermal Dynamics 51, primary reason was the twist-lock gun connection, being portable it's important to be able to disconnect the gun and keep it out of harm's way when transporting. Plus I find myself in three states on occasion, TD is available almost everywhere I go. In a shop situation, and in my specific location, my decision might be different.

Comment

Thanks for some replies. I'm new to Plasma, so I really don't have any real experience. I looked into the Thermadyne 38 also but like the portability of the Miller and Hypertherm. I'm interested in real world comparisons of there units like : power, consumables, reliability and support. Comments are appreciated. Intended use is for 1/4 inch and under.

In house is currently a Miller MIG180, Miller Syncrowave 200 so if there's no real problems with the 375 Xtreme, I'll probably stick with Blue.

Comment

I have been told the it is the torch that makes the plasma not the power source, and all the research has told me that Thermadyne is the leader in plasma torch design whether it is the best for confined space I have no idea.

What I know is my old 30amp Mac Tools cheapo with the stock torch would only sever 1/4" switched out to a T Dyne torch and now it cuts 1/4" ans severs 3/8"
                and the consumables are off the shelf ans 1/4 the price.

TJ

Comment

My question is what is your application for this unit? The HT P30 and Miller375Xtreme are designed around being portable and working with lighter materials. Based upon what I have learned from looking for a plasma unit, when you approach the upper end of the cutting capacity, your consumable life goes down hill quickly, especially if you cut very much at the upper end.

Our initial search started at the Miller 375/Hypertherm 380 model. We then looked at the Miller 625/Hypertherm 600 because of consumable life on thicker material cuts, around 1/2" on occasion. Got the Hypertherm 1000 because Airgas made us an offer we couldn't refuse. That and they said they had a HT600 when they didn't and we had money ready to spend on a plasma cutter.

We went with Hypertherm because we could find consumables easy at Airgas or through Hypermax.org. Miller consumables were tougher to find. The Miller and Hypertherm units, especially the smaller units are virtually identical but are proprietary on consumables.

Are you using this plasma in your home/shop or in your business? Will it be used primarily in the shop or in the field? How often will you cut the thicker material, 1/4", as you listed? Are you going to run on 120V or 230V power? What is your potential power source? How about your air supply. Do you have a compressor that delivers the correct air pressure and required volume? Have you looked at you air drying/filtering needs?

Just a few thoughts.

Charlie

Comment

wile its not the same cutter i do have a miller spectrum 125C, had it about 4-5 years. its worked great the hole time and is still cutting like new. its cut much more than i expected from it. i will at some point be upgrading to a larger cutter when i can afford it. and using the spec.125's performance as a gage i will be getting the 375 as that upgrade with no concerns about performance. i added a foot control to my 125 and have used it a great deal. i don't use it as a portable unit and i'm just a hobby user so my welders are well cared for and don't get any ruff treatment so i cant say about heavy shop use and possible portable dings and bangs.
                    my 125 has been a great addition to my shop and never needed any service or given me any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      wile its not the same cutter i do have a miller spectrum 125C, had it about 4-5 years. its worked great the hole time and is still cutting like new. its cut much more than i expected from it. i will at some point be upgrading to a larger cutter when i can afford it. and using the spec.125's performance as a gage i will be getting the 375 as that upgrade with no concerns about performance. i added a foot control to my 125 and have used it a great deal. i don't use it as a portable unit and i'm just a hobby user so my welders are well cared for and don't get any ruff treatment so i cant say about heavy shop use and possible portable dings and bangs.
                      my 125 has been a great addition to my shop and never needed any service or given me any trouble.

You might take a look at the price and availablity of consumables.

I think th things are like computer printers--- they give you the machine on the cheap--and get even with you on the ink.....

Comment

You might take a look at the price and availablity of consumables
                        yep the price diference between the 125 and the 375 would have been made up fast by the consumables savings with the 375. but i did not have a decent air scorce when i got the 125 as it had its own air.
                        that will be an extra advantage when i go to the 375, cheaper consumables.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                          You might take a look at the price and availablity of consumables
                          yep the price diference between the 125 and the 375 would have been made up fast by the consumables savings with the 375. but i did not have a decent air scorce when i got the 125 as it had its own air.
                          that will be an extra advantage when i go to the 375, cheaper consumables.
                          I also attribute some value to a removable umbellical other than convenience in moving. There is also the convenience in repair. My plasma is mounted behind a door in a side box on my service truck and has never been out of the truck. --- but the umbellical has , and sooner or later it or the torch
                          will be a casualty. I've been scrapping heavy machinery with the thing and there has to be a way to destroy the umbellical or the torch in the process and I will probably figure out the way some day. when I do, no fancy wiring will be required nor will I need to haul a big box down to the LWS.---just haul a pocketful of money down there...... and c ome home and plug it in.

Comment

as a mobile work plasma cutter a removable torch lead would be a big + no question there. glad to hear you have not found a way to break your's ...yet..
                            but as a home hobby shop unit i would not look for it as a needed option when comparing brands. i am very happy with my Miller plasma cutter and will be sticking with them when i upgrade, spec 375 is the plan for me.
                            but every one has there own set of preferences and needs. best for you to get what makes you sleep well at night, not what makes me sleep good so to speak.

Comment

PM30 vs X-treme

Originally posted by SpcR View Post
                              Doesn't Miller make the powersource for the PM30?
                              I know Hypertherm makes the torches for all the Miller cutters.
                              Miller used to make the power supply for the old Hypertherm PM380 (a look inside the PM380 and the Miller Spectrum 375 confirms this). One look inside the PM30 and the X-treme 375 will show that the two systems are radically different. I conclude that Miller does not make the powersource for the PM30.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.