laying bottle on its side ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laying bottle on its side ?

i have to take my mig somewhere. transporting the bottle vertical is not an option. it there a problem using it after it was layed down ? C25. thanx

C25 is a gas mix so it should be ok on it's side and you can stand it up and use it.
    Acetylene is mixed with acetone and thats why you don,t use it for a while if it's been laid down and also why the draw off rate is limited.

Comment

If I remember correctly all of the tanks have like a fiber board liner them, and they lay on there side they the particles from the get lifted up and time to settle down. That might be just oxygen and acetylene bottles tho.

Comment

C25, as mentioned, is just a high-pressure gas. You can transport and even use it in any position that is safely secured. Same with oxygen, by the way. Acetylene and 100% CO2 are two exceptions, as they are not stored as high-pressure gasses

Comment

yep, like mac said, its all fine with C25 just strait Co2 and acetilean, need to be upright. the Co2 can be caried sideways then stood up and used almost right away, the acet. is the one with the fiber fill and needs to be alowed to set upright for atleast 3 Hrs befor use. the stand and settle time is a lil hazzy as the the exact time some say longer some say less depending on its sideways time. me i stick with the 3 Hr roule as a minimum and have never had a problem..
          C-25 is all in gas forme so no biggy in its position. i think propain might need to be upright to use also.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

in the newest weld shop trailer mounted for the army the only bottle that stands up right is the accetaline bottle the other bottles are layed down
            weld to live live to ride

Comment

Originally posted by USARMY44B View Post
              in the newest weld shop trailer mounted for the army the only bottle that stands up right is the accetaline bottle the other bottles are layed down
              Are they layed down completely horizontal?
              Or nearly but still with the valve higher then the rest of it?

I know you will get liquid from a CO2 bottle if you turn it upside down and open the valve, I have tried it. I would think the same would be true for most other gasses, assuming they are in a liquid state in the bottle?

Grigg
              Pictures of 48 Chevy 6400 truck project with a 4-53T Detroit Diesel.
              http://community.webshots.com/user/Grigg3

Comment

the other gasses are not in liquid state.
                argon and its mixed versions are gas only under presher, no liquid.
                the acetylene and strait Co2 are liquid and as such need to be upright in use.

accetilean is suspended in a acetome liquid withing a honnycone type bottle incert. the accetilean seaps out of the acetone rising to the top to be used. it can only dispers at a certin rate, thats why you have to have a large tank to use a rosebud or for heavy useages. it is also why you need to let it settle after its been layed down. the Co2 is a liquid that disperses into a gas but is only Co2 in the tank so its ok to use right after its been righted.
                all the argon and its mixes like C-25 are gas only thats why they are at 4000 PSI to get lots of gas into the small tank. as its only gas it donse not need to be in any perticulare position to work, its basicly like air. you can let it out of your car tire no matter what position its in.
                propain is another gas/liquid so it also needs to be upright to use but like Co2 it can be used right after its been righted.
                hope that helps.

sorry about that, thanks for the catch MAC.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

I know you will get liquid from a CO2 bottle if you turn it upside down and open the valve, I have tried it. I would think the same would be true for most other gasses, assuming they are in a liquid state in the bottle?

Grigg

yes completly flat sometimes inverted depending on the teraine we set up on
                  weld to live live to ride

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                    the other gasses are not in liquid state.
                    argon and its mixed versions are gas only under presher, no liquid.
                    the argon and strait Co2 are liquid and as such need to be upright in use...
                    I'll clarify what was surely just a typo on James' part. The second instance of "argon" there was probably supposed to be "acetylene." After all, he already put argon in the correct catagory in the first sentence.

Comment

thanks MAC. yep just goofed it. good catch.
                      USARMY44B its a lil easyer to keep stuff strait if you turn others stuff you are refering to or answering blue or any other color. helps make for a fast reference. your responce looked like a coppy of the question at first. a little hard to get to the answer. you can also use the quotes option but i find just cutting and pasting in blue keeps it simple and easy to quickly get the answer. check it out and see what you think.
                      .................................................. .......................

Grigg

yes completly flat sometimes inverted depending on the teraine we set up on

.................................................. ........................

i'm not trying to be a turd or anything just trying to help every one get the info. i almost didnt see your responce till i saw the poster's name had changed. its good info and i dont want any one to miss it.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

I am confused and curious now.

Could someone pls list all the bottles and what "not'" to lie down (including argon)

Thanks
                        John1

Comment

Argon is fine to lay down.

Do not lay down propane (except when specially designed), acetylene, and 100% CO2.

Comment

i had no problems. though i let the bottle set for 2 hours.

i am glad i can use an argon bottle layed down. as i need to move my tig to the garage. and laying it down will help a LOT, getting it out of the way, in my very small garage.

thanx guys.

Comment

With the exception of acetylene (CH) anything sold by the cubic foot is a gas, and can be used or stored horizontally. Anything sold by weight is a liquid with a vapor space at the top for gas expansion, and needs to be placed with the valve and regulator at the highest point. If that is in the middle of a long tank, then you'll find the tank on it's side (like domestic 250-gallon propane tanks) but the valve will be on the top, rather than the end. Make sense?

Hank
                              ...from the Gadget Garage
                              Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                              Handler 210 w/DP3035
                              TA185TSW
                              Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Working...
                              X