Pipeliner 200D,Classic 300D or Vantage400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipeliner 200D,Classic 300D or Vantage400

Im looking at upgrading my welder and cant decide on what to get. I currently have a Ranger 305G, but would like something with a little more weld output to burn 1/4 7018 when needed. I would be useing it for pipeline and pipe fab mostly. I have heard good things about the Vantage 400 , wont even look at the 300. Any help would be great. thanks
    '' Full Penetration , All Position "

Maybe I missed something. Why is the Pipeliner 200D in the running if you want more output than a Ranger 305G? But the Vantage 300 that you won't consider has more (except in "Pipe" mode). What criteria led to your 3 top choices? That might help us look at them with you.

Do you use a lot of auxiliary power?

Comment

Pipeliner200D

The 200D wil burn 1/4 18 better than the Ranger 305G for what I will need it for, mostly for capping pipe, just a few sticks in a row. (I wont be burning that often). I wasnt looking at the Vantage 300, the Vantage 400 that is rated at 100% at 400 amps in stick mode.The Vantage 300 bogs down and even stalls out when running 1/4 7018. I dont need lots of auxilliary power, just to run my grinders so that isnt a issue.

Comment

pipeliner

Originally posted by pipeliner007 View Post
        The 200D wil burn 1/4 18 better than the Ranger 305G for what I will need it for, mostly for capping pipe, just a few sticks in a row. (I wont be burning that often). I wasnt looking at the Vantage 300, the Vantage 400 that is rated at 100% at 400 amps in stick mode.The Vantage 300 bogs down and even stalls out when running 1/4 7018. I dont need lots of auxilliary power, just to run my grinders so that isnt a issue.
        All of these machines will burn 1/4 except the 305g . If you do more pipeline than fab I wouldn't even consider the vantages. I have a pipeliner 200d and just to clear up most misconceptions the 200 is a model number. Even the old sa 200 put out way more than 200 amps(300 or more) my pipeliner puts out 398at the terminals but only has a 60% duty cycle.I've worked along side many pipliners that say capping with 1/4" is faster but at the end of the day 3/16" wins in my opinion. If you are hand rolling 10" std. pipe 1/4" makes a mess (spatter) When I had my pipe pro on my truck I burned 1/4 all the time and the old guys with pure dc machines would kick my a-ss using 3/16(they weren't grinding spatter off the pipe the size of ball bearings. As far as power I think dc is better (it's hard to stall a grinder on dc) Plus In my opinion the 200d is the easiest to trouble shoot( no electronics except for the idler) Tried tested and true is the way to go .I tiried the electronic route with alot of gen power and someone is always trying to plug some thing into your machine . Now you say your main work is pipeline then I would go with a pipeliner 200d with a kubota(mainly because you can get them fixed anywhere). If I were you I would steer clear of the electronic machines. Don't get me wrong the weld ok but the reliablility isn't there for our climate. Now remember that this is JUST MY OPINION and I'm entitled to it. Jef

Comment

Why not the Vantage series???

Jef,
          I am also looking to upgrade from my Ranger 250. First choice for dollars was 305G. The one I really want is the Vantage 400. My application is a little different. Mostly gouging, fabbing repairs. Suitcase GMAW & FCAW. Not sure on hi freq GTAW for portability. Not a pipeliner like yourself. Could you let me know what failures etc that you have witnessed to recommend against the Vantages. I would really like to know.

Thanks,
          Later,
          Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

vantage

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
            Jef,
            I am also looking to upgrade from my Ranger 250. First choice for dollars was 305G. The one I really want is the Vantage 400. My application is a little different. Mostly gouging, fabbing repairs. Suitcase GMAW & FCAW. Not sure on hi freq GTAW for portability. Not a pipeliner like yourself. Could you let me know what failures etc that you have witnessed to recommend against the Vantages. I would really like to know.

Thanks,
            I worked along side lots of those and pipe pro's and when it get's Alberta cold electronics have a nasty habit of not working when you need them the most and it's not something you can trouble shoot on your own (if a board goes or something like that) Now you say you do alot of gouging, I have been told that gouging with an inverter is really not that good for it(maybe someone who knows could enlighten us) And personally anything with electronics if your bouncing down lease roads or 50 kliks of washboard eventually something is going to rattle loose. Kepp in mind this is just my take on it,and I've had my share of problems with my pipe pro in the 2 years i've had it. I am by no means an expert on the subject. Jef

Comment

Jef,
              I only asked what your experiences with them were because a good friend of mine up here has been a pipeliner for over 25 years and he recommended the Vantage 400. Has one on his truck now. In the past he has had SA-200. Classic 2, Classic 3 etc. He went to Red-D-Arc and Miller for a while and has settled on the Vantage 400. He runs his cable on a set of Shel-Ryn Aluminum reels which he has been using for many years with little grief. The only recommendation he had for gouging was to bypass the reels and hook direct to the output terminals to avoid unneccessary Voltage Drop and/or cooking the reels. I guess the Shel-Ryns can overheat and wreck the cork gaskets etc next to the contacts and then you have to disassemble them and put a kit in. To solve the vibration problem (or at least minimize it) he uses fancy vibration isolaters that are bolted from the top and the bottom and cost around $85.00 CDN It's been a while since I looked over the specs but I'm sure the Vantage 400 is recommended by Lincoln for gouging. The one my friend has on his truck really gets with the program. I was very impressed. It's all good. Now I have more information and a couple more points of view to consider when it's time to decide. Thanks for the input guys.

Later,
              Later,
              Jason

Comment

If Your Burning Lots of 1/4 (like days) your working your self out of a job, the way things are going with the new laws on 1 tons stick with the 305G and runn a 3/4 ton truck ive used the vantage 300 great 6010 machine so if your pipelining i'd go with the vantages. i love my 300D quite a bit and i think if i was to buy again it would be a vantage 400 with the perkins
                your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

i don;t know all the details but you know have too have your weights on all one tons farmers and the joe blow who wants to just own a dually no matter if your towing or houling or not at all single whell one thons follow same suit
                  your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"

Comment

sounds like the same deal i think

Comment

Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
                      If Your Burning Lots of 1/4 (like days) your working your self out of a job, the way things are going with the new laws on 1 tons stick with the 305G and runn a 3/4 ton truck ive used the vantage 300 great 6010 machine so if your pipelining i'd go with the vantages. i love my 300D quite a bit and i think if i was to buy again it would be a vantage 400 with the perkins
                      Never touched a piece of pipe with it, but we have had a Vantage 400
                      around for 18 months (about as long as they have existed) and never found a piece of welding rod it won't run.

the ratings right off the front panel are as follows:

and the overall weight of the machine is light enough to be attractive.

I've thought the blue box boys would meet the competition here but so far
                      they have left the machine 'unanswered.'
                      rvannatta
                      www.vannattabros.com
                      Miller Bobcat 225G
                      Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                      Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                      Lincoln Vantage 400
                      Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

Lynx,
                        Thanks for the advice, I checked out your new rig on the cardomain site. Very nice indeed. Guys - it's worth your time to have a look. I heard some static about cracking down on overloaded trucks. If I go new, with a Vantage 400 or similiar, it'll probably be an F450 or F550, though I do love the room in the Mega Cabs. Biggest prob I can see with the M.C. is such a short cab to axle distance to rig up with. If they go with commercial inspections it's nothing new for me. I've had a class 1 license since '94 and had my own semi for 3 years. The way the patch is right now, I think it's best for me to stay with my '99 F-250 short box and rig up a slip out welding skid for my Ranger 250 with similiar toolboxes to Lynx. Then later on, upgrade to the 305G, and keep my 250 for a backup. I'm just in the planning stages to cram as much as I can into the space I have and still be able to use everything.

Later,
                        Later,
                        Jason

Comment

new laws on one tons

Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post

What do you mean weights on one-tons. The totall weight on the axels or tires,or Gross Veihcle? I will to to find out more. I do alot of piece work that pays really good if you are fast. They want me to start doing big stuff like next week some 12'' 80, $400 a completed weld, so it would be nice to burn some 1/4 18. They also have some 16" and 24" on the drawing board, no idea what it pays.Up untill now I have only been rolling out 2" 3" and 4" 40,80,and 160, so no need for 1/4. I wonder what it would be like powering a inverter like the V-350 Pro or the XMT 304 of the 305G. Maybe it would be worth packing one around. I love my 305G and would still like to use it.

Comment

Smoke,
                            I'm way ahead of you. I was checking around on a Sterling site at the Acterra, and I found the link to the "Sterling Bullet"..... I'll back up quickly, Chrysler Corporation owns Freightliner, that owns Western Star, that bought the Sterling line off of Ford. Back to the "Bullet" - It is a Dodge bodied Class 4 and Class 5 truck that has an industrial 34" wide frame with a 7000lb steering and 13,500lb rear axle. Very similiar to Ford F650 & F750, only the Bullet doesn't have a fender changeup and comes with low profile 10-bolt 19.5" Rims. Custom "S" badges replace the Dodge stuff.
                            Check it out for yourself.
                            http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/SterlingBullet/

Pipeliner007,
                            From rumours I have heard, the new laws are targeting overloaded trucks in general. All vehicles will have to comply with both Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and Axle Weight Rating. They will also be checking tires for number of plies in sidewall and max load ratings. Sounds like pretty much a commercial vehicle inspection to me. This kind of stuff is a hassle for the guys going everything by the book, but it helps shut down the scabby buggars who are bending the rules and endangering public safety on roadways.
                            I have never powered up the Invertec v-350 Pro with an engine driven but I have used the Pro at my current job for GMAW/FCAW/SMAW/CAC over the past 18 months. A totally wicked machine, and I'll miss it dearly. I only get to use it 'till Friday then it's time to load up and go to the next shop. FWIW, a guy I know up here powers his Thermadyne inverter with an engine driven and he claims he has way more power using the engine driven.

Later,

On edit, I forgot to address the Mega Cab thing. The reason I am so curious about them is I am also a mechanic, so I have been wondering if I could mount a toolbox in the "back seat" area (cargo screen etc for safety) on one side, and have a place to store my LN-25 etc securely on the other side. This way I wouldn't need much for toolboxes outside and could still fit the Vantage 400 sideways over the axle with the short cab to axle measurement. The Mega Cab is just a dream right now. I think I'm forced economically to stick with what is already paid for - My '99 F-250 and my Ranger 250. I'll do something like Pipeline Dan too, only have my welder & spools on a slide out table for servicing.
                            Later,
                            Jason

Comment

pipeliner 007 who do you know around ponoka i know of a guy they call big nick he's working down around calgary at a trailer building place just wondering if youve worked with him and how long ago did you get your ticket

Comment

Working...
                              X