DOT Welder Certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT Welder Certification

I recently came across a Welder Certification "D.O.T. 814.884" while reading a welding training course description. I was unable to find a description of the reg via Google, Yahoo, or AWS. Can any one enlighten me.

Thanks,
    Woodman

The "D.O.T." would lead me to believe that it's a federal document. What the Department of Transportation would be testing weldors for, I can't imagine. I'd think it would be more of a regulatory type thing.

The DOT has a website....

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I used to do consulting work for Heil Trailers. They told me (and their customers) that all welding was in accordance to DOT specs... yet I was unable to find anything about DOT welding specs. ...nobody in the building knew anything about it either. But, they didn't have a single guy in the shop that was properly certified when I started there. All they did was a face bend test, no root bend at all.

Comment

I don't know anything about any DOT qualifications or certifications or specs, but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
          but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .
          Here is a picture of my 3-horse slant “Logan” trailer.
          You can’t really see it in this picture, but you should see how this 2 5/16-inch hinged ball socket head, and A-frame is welded on . Only words to describe the mig welding is bubble gum, (is that one word or two?)

You’ll never convince me Ray Charles didn’t weld it himself.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
            You can’t really see it in this picture, but you should see how this 2 5/16-inch hinged ball socket head, and A-frame is welded on . Only words to describe the mig welding is bubble gum, (is that one word or two?)

That's what you get when you hire welders for $10/hr. Sadly, there's an abundance of people that will weld for that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Engloid
              That's what you get when you hire welders for $10/hr. Sadly, there's an abundance of people that will weld for that much.
              Almost makes you want to fly to Logan Utah, look up the QC guy for Logan trailers and slap him upside the head, for every letting that leave the factory!

Comment

Ahhhh true. Not this ole' boy.
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                  Ahhhh true. Not this ole' boy.
                  Me neither... If $10 was enough for my needs, I'd deliver pizza, make about $15-25/hr, and be happy with it. It's rare for a pizza delivery person to average under $10/hr.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                    I don't know anything about any DOT qualifications or certifications or specs, but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .

Hey Calweld up here we have the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post

I work in commerical truck business and sad to say this is typical sh!t that I have to fix we are a DOT shop and nobody say's nothing but my manager Hey Darmik fix this crap

Comment

Not all $10. hr welders are the SH!TS But they are guilty of Association to the bad one's

Comment

Originally posted by Darmik View Post
                          Not all $10. hr welders are the SH!TS But they are guilty of Association to the bad one's

If a $10/hr welder stays a $10/hr welder for very long, then they get what they deserve.
                          Dynasty 350DX
                          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                          MM 350P
                          MM Passport Plus
                          Spectrum 375 Extreme
                          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

$10 bucks

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                            If a $10/hr welder stays a $10/hr welder for very long, then they get what they deserve.
                            I disagree there are some pretty good kids out there KB you must agree your self that they are just working at the wrong place but they dont have the ***** to know when to leave for greener grass and get better

Comment

Originally posted by Darmik
                              I disagree there are some pretty good kids out there KB you must agree your self that they are just working at the wrong place but they dont have the ***** to know when to leave for greener grass and get better
                              If you don't go out and get the things you want in life, yes...you will be getting what you deserve. If you're too scared to go get a better job, then $10/hr is what you deserve.

You can't spend your life waiting on somebody to hand you opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                              X