DOT Welder Certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darmik
    I disagree there are some pretty good kids out there KB you must agree your self that they are just working at the wrong place but they dont have the ***** to know when to leave for greener grass and get better

That's why I said they get what they deserve. If you are good and can't stand up and take care of yourself, do you expect someone to do it for you? I wouldn't want someone like that working for me. It may be harsh but that's the world I work in.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

well KB you are one of a kind employer you send your people to school every year for whatever lenght and when he or she gets back they get an automatic rase in pay I'm not an employer but I do have a say in what goes on in my world so I guess I would like to think that I have a hand in changing my little world and you in your's ( I'm not tring to be sarcastic I'm tring to under stand your point of view)I think you and I are talking about the same thing almost maybe it's my comperhension of what your saying.I still think people need a little push to get them going as long as they know your beside them when they finished school and not lay them off after they are finished
      school because now you have to pay them more I know this one all to well.

Comment

Darmik

Originally posted by Engloid View Post
        If you don't go out and get the things you want in life, yes...you will be getting what you deserve. If you're too scared to go get a better job, then $10/hr is what you deserve.

You can't spend your life waiting on somebody to hand you opportunities.
        Well said.

Originally posted by Darmik
        well KB you are one of a kind employer you send your people to school every year for whatever lenght and when he or she gets back they get an automatic rase in pay I'm not an employer but I do have a say in what goes on in my world so I guess I would like to think that I have a hand in changing my little world and you in your's ( I'm not tring to be sarcastic I'm tring to under stand your point of view)I think you and I are talking about the same thing almost maybe it's my comperhension of what your saying.I still think people need a little push to get them going as long as they know your beside them when they finished school and not lay them off after they are finished
        school because now you have to pay them more I know this one all to well.
        I think you missed my point. Giving someone a little encouragement now and then is vastly different from an individual who chooses to live in mediocrity. I don't mind giving praise for good work but I don't want to have to hold anyones hand to get them to do what they need to do. I have one employee and I would bend over backwards to help him but not because he needs it. I would do it because he shows up when he is supposed to, does his job better than I have asked him to, and leaves the shop they way he found it, or better.

As far as compensation goes, I will pay you what you are worth. That means the quicker you get up to speed , and the less I have to hold your hand, the better you will do. Some employers miss the boat when determining the value of employees. By that I mean they value having a position filled over having that same position occupied with someone who is skilled. Most of the time you have to pay for that and I would rather have a skilled employee, and pay for it, than to just have a revolving door in the shop.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
          I recently came across a Welder Certification "D.O.T. 814.884" while reading a welding training course description. I was unable to find a description of the reg via Google, Yahoo, or AWS. Can any one enlighten me.
          Woodman,

Were you looking at this page? http://rop.sutter.k12.ca.us/agriculture/11_wt.html

I think that DOT stands for "Dictionary of Occupational Titles." If I am correct then 814.884 is a welder who performs explosion welding of some sort... I think that 884 should be 684 and that they have other typos as well.

Here is an excerpt from the list:
          WELDER, COMBINATION (welding) 819.384-010
          WELDER, EXPERIMENTAL (welding) 819.281-022
          WELDER, EXPLOSION (welding) 814.684-010
          WELDER-FITTER (welding) 819.361-010
          WELDER-FITTER APPRENTICE (welding) 819.361-014
          Welder-Fitter, Arc (welding) 819.361-010
          Welder-Fitter, Gas (welding) 819.361-010
          welder-fitter helper (any industry) 801.687-014
          Welder, Flux-Cored Arc (welding) 810.384-014
          WELDER, GAS (welding) 811.684-014
          welder, gas, automatic (welding) 811.482-010
          Welder, Gas-Metal Arc (welding) 810.384-014
          Welder, Gas-Tungsten Arc (welding) 810.384-014
          WELDER, GUN (welding) 810.664-010
          Welder, Hand, Submerged Arc (welding) 810.384-014

Here is a link:
          http://www.occupationalinfo.org/

Regards,
          Bill
          "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

makes more sense to me

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Yeah leave it to good ol BillC to think out of the box! Here we’re all thinking DOT

D= Department

O= of

T= Transportation

Comment

Pay for Employee's

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                Well said.

I think you missed my point. Giving someone a little encouragement now and then is vastly different from an individual who chooses to live in mediocrity. I don't mind giving praise for good work but I don't want to have to hold anyones hand to get them to do what they need to do. I have one employee and I would bend over backwards to help him but not because he needs it. I would do it because he shows up when he is supposed to, does his job better than I have asked him to, and leaves the shop they way he found it, or better.

As far as compensation goes, I will pay you what you are worth. That means the quicker you get up to speed , and the less I have to hold your hand, the better you will do. Some employers miss the boat when determining the value of employees. By that I mean they value having a position filled over having that same position occupied with someone who is skilled. Most of the time you have to pay for that and I would rather have a skilled employee, and pay for it, than to just have a revolving door in the shop.

I would rather have a skilled employee, and pay for it, than to just have a revolving door in the shop.[/

yes you and I do agree

Comment

hire for attitude-train for skill=success

Comment

It takes some people a long time to learn that the world is a competitive place and even being good or great doesn't have anyone beating a path to the door. I know some B grade welders made a lot of money in the business, doesn't do much good to be tallented if you are not going to exploit it. Lots of dead artists were starving in their own time, Picasso and Warhol and others made it pay.

Comment

I see a couple guys on the forums that are great, got the talent, the skill, knowledge but their business sense is for squat, figuring that someone owes you more than you are getting isnt much of a plan, wastes a lot of energy in the wrong direction.

Comment

I know this is a welding forum but I watch this aspect as much or more than the welding. Kevin Bentz is a good example of biz done right. There are a half a dozen others I can see that found their spot and make it work for them. Andy the forum guy is a great example of driving a welding career to an art. The man has direction, its something he has settled on, a deliberate focus toward a goal, unless he turns crackhead tomorrow he will never have to look far for a good paying job. Lots of older guys here and can tell your story but I like to point out some the younger ones as examples. Shadey Ron from SFT is another good example of a guy taking the effort to position himself. If I had any real qualifications, like I was inspector or instructor, spe******t of some kind like Engloid, been to the school, read the books I might be thinking of positioning myself as an extreme spe******t, demo, instruction or custom tig work, forget the stick crap and common piping, sell himself as when absolutely only the best will do at 125$ an hour incl travel, have his van packed up with some tools, target customers that occasionally need spe******t but dont want to staff, etc or simply dont have the skill. I wouldnt waste my time with mundane work. I would be a salesman and spend 35 hrs a week to start with selling 5 hrs worth of billable time and work my way up from there. I would have to agree with Engloids assesment of his own ability, as a technition he is in the top. My neighbor is a specialty millwright, gets a thousand dollars a day, if he is chasing work for nothing he can stay home and he work a month and a half last year make out about the same as a guy punching a clock 50 weeks a year as common factory work.

Comment

Where my neighbor loses it is focus. If he wold drive that he would have half a million a yr career with a few simple hand tools but he stays home and backslides with his sawmill, general contracting, machine shop crap that eats his lunch. I have another builder bud that has it down to a science, works regular business week hrs and bills like a lawyer, makes out invoices for 45 billable hrs like clockwork every week 50 wks a yr.

Comment

Me, this week I do a clutch job that just come back to haunt me. ha

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                              It takes some people a long time to learn that the world is a competitive place and even being good or great doesn't have anyone beating a path to the door. .
                              Blame the schools and the liberal teaching. Teaching that all thing should be FAIR. and when it is not sue.

TJ
                              TJ______________________________________

Comment

What?

What does "When it not sue" mean. Is that some regional lingo? Or am I just out of the loop?

Comment

Working...
                                X