Give it to me straight about my weld

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give it to me straight about my weld

Ok, i was at welding class tonight, instructor had us t welding 1/16" plate fillet welds. im new to mig welding, heck, im new to welding period but from what you can see...what could i do to make this a better weld? or what did i do wrong if anything...thanks guys

Oh, and the spatter was not from this weld, it was from me butt welding different pieces. just so ya know....cuz i know someone was gonna say something about it..
    Attached Files

a couple more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

well, that's certainly looking pretty good, great profile, decent tie-in, I'd turn the voltage up a touch and try to get the toes to wet in a bit better. Looking good. How was your penetration?
      hre

Comment

here is a pic of the penetration...i would have liked to had more....but like u said, i think i should have turned up the voltage a tad...
        Attached Files

Comment

Those pictures show the heat affected zone well, but the penetration is hard to gauge. To get a better idea of penetration, make a cross-sectional cut of your coupon so we can see the pentration of the weld into the parent material.
          hre

Comment

ok, i will do that tomorrow at work. i have to get to bed now, its 1am and 5am comes early...i will post the cross cut tomorrow night and see what we have then....thanks coal...

Comment

Originally posted by ftgokie View Post
              ok, i will do that tomorrow at work. i have to get to bed now, its 1am and 5am comes early...i will post the cross cut tomorrow night and see what we have then....thanks coal...
              Sounds good, glad to be of some help
              hre

Comment

Turn the voltage down, and or wfs up.

What ever gun manipulation you are doing, could also be launching those dingle berrys, got to be mindful of crossing over and back too much into your puddle.
                Your toes are coming out the way the are because of your pattern (gun manipulation), try a different 'pause' if you want a change there. There is more splatter on 1 plate vs. the other, changing travel angle while working your weave could be one cause.

{simple stringers arn't fancy, but they work too**

Comment

Originally posted by x-ray View Post
                  Turn the voltage down, and or wfs up.

What ever gun manipulation you are doing, could also be launching those dingle berrys, got to be mindful of crossing over and back too much into your puddle. {simple stringers arnt fancy, but they work too**
                  Did you even read his post and look at all the photos? From the looks of it, I suspect he is stepping, not doing an exagerated weave, so as long as he's keeping the puddle hot he should be fine for thin material like that, but I could be wrong. I agree, sometimes plain old stringers are best.
                  hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                    Did you even read his post and look at all the photos? From the looks of it, I suspect he is stepping, not doing an exagerated weave, so as long as he's keeping the puddle hot he should be fine for thin material like that, but I could be wrong. I agree, sometimes plain old stringers are best.

Yes.

If he changes nothing but only increases the voltage, he will get more splatter and less penetration.

Oh,but you are right I did miss the part in his first post about 'butt weld causing splatter'

Comment

Right about the spatter. I figured bringing the voltage up a bit more (and adjusting wirespeed if needed), say 5%, would bring the heat input up, but he might be better off with leaving the voltage and bringing up the wirespeed. I usually just set my voltage in the ballpark and tune with wirespeed, but don't pay too much attention to the particular mechanics of how one affects the other. I'm sure many others on here like KB or yourself could explain that much better than I could.
                      hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                        Right about the spatter. I figured bringing the voltage up a bit more (and adjusting wirespeed if needed), say 5%, would bring the heat input up, but he might be better off with leaving the voltage and bringing up the wirespeed. I usually just set my voltage in the ballpark and tune with wirespeed, but don't pay too much attention to the particular mechanics of how one affects the other. I'm sure many others on here like KB or yourself could explain that much better than I could.

KB sure, but not me, I'm here for fun and discussion + to check out the tools

Yeah there's that balance between the two mig controls, and higher voltage will flatten a bead because that energy gets pulled back (arc length increases) and spreads across the top. But you give up focus down in the welds root.

See yah in the morn, friend.

Comment

Originally posted by x-ray View Post
                          KB sure, but not me, I'm here for fun and discussion + to check out the tools

Yeah there's that balance between the two mig controls, and higher voltage will flatten a bead because that energy gets pulled back (arc length increases) and spreads across the top. But you give up focus down in the welds root.

See yah in the morn, friend.
                          I'm sure tomorrow we'll get told then on how its really done I don't run mig all that much, maybe 10% of what I do. I used to do quite a bit of flux core and solid wire in a shop, but less so now. Most of my stuff now is in the field stick. Yep on the bed time thing. Got a funeral to go to in the morning, but at least its not my own Just working on killing some time online
                          hre

Comment

I'd say that's QUITE the bead for 1/16". I'd cut your bead size in half. Not hard to get full penetration on that thin material. You should hardly need any movement with 1/16th, the circular motion is a bit much. Turning your voltage up can reduce spatter as well. Try doing it with dual shield and see what hapens.....flows like butter. Dave

Comment

looks good

increaes wire speed a little hold the wire in the center of the joint and just push it letting the weld puddle fill evenly not so much motion. But still looks good.

Comment

Working...
                              X