heater fuel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater fuel

I bought a 55,000 btu multi fuel heater (torpedo?) to use in the garage.

Says it will burn diesel, jet fuel or kerosene. Diesel 1 and 2 are cheapest but which will burn cleanest?

Pretty sure k1 burns the cleanest, in the instruction manual I read online it says diesal can be used, but will cause a smell.
    http://www.rcautoworks.com

Comment

kerosene,but #1 diesel would be better than #2.

Comment

We have two of these ... best results are with Kerosene.

We have burned K1 and it does well.

Basically it boils down to cost. Never checked to see if one is more efficient then the other.

Comment

I have a Desa 55,000 (I think) Haven't looked at the book in a long time but I don't remember anything about diesel. If you go the Kero route try to find a bulk supplier since you can go rapidily to the poor house buying in the 2.5 and 5 gal. containers. I paid $15 for 5 gallons at a co-op while Tractor Supply is getting over $36 plus tax for a 5 gal. can.
          Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
          Millermatic Challenger 172
          VictorO/A
          Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
          Esab PCM-875
          Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

WOW ... Tractor Supply is gouging people.

We have regular olfd gas stations selling K1 Kerosene for $2.50 - $2.80 per gallon. Looks like your TSC is getting $7.00 +. Is that TSC selling actual Kerosene at that price or is it that synthetic " cleaner " burning stuff?

Home Depot sells that CLEAN burn stuff in 1 Gallon cans for about $7 - $8.

We used to use those wick type kersosene heaters, you know the round ones that sit on the floor. They worked OK but seemed to take longer to heat things up. Also we found out with those that if you set the heat too low you got more odor out of them. We still have one we use on our enclosed but unheated sun deck.

Comment

I have 2, 100,000 btu heaters, and I run diesel in them with no problems. The 1 heater has been running diesel for over 15yrs. I just use diesel out of convinence, cause we have a 300 gallon bulk tank outside for the tractors.
              Millermatic 180 DC,Miller Spoolmatic 3,Miller HF-251-D1 __ Lincoln Cobramatic/Cobramatic Gold
              Millermatic 200 with pulse/spot/burnback panel DC ______Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300 AC/DC
              Miller ECONO twin HF 150 AC/DC .____________________ Lincoln Idealarc R3R 300 DC
              Miller Trailblazer 250G AC/DC (20hp. Onan) .____________ Lincoln Buzz box 225/125 AC/DC
              O/A Harris, Purox, Victor, Torchweld (To many to list) .___AIRCO wire feeder

Comment

Those little heaters work nice. In smaller spaces they have a decided stink when run on diesel, K1 is better on the nose.
                In a larger space the diesel smell isn't really noticable, unless your working right ontop of it. For scale, small space - ~2000sqft const site, larger space, 50Ksqft warehouse.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
                  WOW ... Tractor Supply is gouging people.

We have regular olfd gas stations selling K1 Kerosene for $2.50 - $2.80 per gallon. Looks like your TSC is getting $7.00 +. Is that TSC selling actual Kerosene at that price or is it that synthetic " cleaner " burning stuff?

Home Depot sells that CLEAN burn stuff in 1 Gallon cans for about $7 - $8.

We used to use those wick type kersosene heaters, you know the round ones that sit on the floor. They worked OK but seemed to take longer to heat things up. Also we found out with those that if you set the heat too low you got more odor out of them. We still have one we use on our enclosed but unheated sun deck.
                  5 gallon cans of keresene. My guess is it may go through an extra filter in order to be cleaner burning.
                  Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                  Millermatic Challenger 172
                  VictorO/A
                  Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                  Esab PCM-875
                  Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Kero and Jet fuel is almost the same thing, the only difference is Jet fuel won't freeze at 30,000 feet. I would choose the Kero first than the #1 second. Just my thought since i make the stuff...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
                    X