Thumb control or foot pedal ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumb control or foot pedal ?

Which one you all prefer when welding on a welding table when controlling your amps?

When welding on a table, I still prefer the foot pedal. I don't want to do any more with my hands than I have to; they are doing enough already. Thumb control, to me, is for when you have to weld in a position where you can't use a foot pedal. Then again, when you are in those positions, it would be nice to be very good with the thumb control by then.

That said, TIG is the process I use least often, and guys that do it for a living might rightly think I still don't know what I'm doing!

Comment

I prefer the foot pedal. I even use the foot pedal in positions that I bought a thumb control for. I have not taken the time to get proficient at the use of the thumb control.

Comment

Thumb.
        I would not pay someone to use a foot pedal in my shop.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

FOOT PEDAL! I used to do a lot of out of position welding with a thumb control but I absolutely prefer a foot pedal for bench welding.

Comment

Thank you so much, everyone, for your important comments it's a helpful post for beginners. I also learn something new that's I am happy, thank you so much for your informative comments.

Comment

Both the type are convenient depending on the type of work. Foot pedal for production work while thumb control for field work.

Comment

If you want to become proficient at using a thumb controller you have to use it when you don't "HAVE" to. That means sitting on your tail at the bench.
                If every time you use it, is when that is the only way it can be done, then your welds are going to suffer when you DO use it.
                Same goes for welding with a mirror. Practice using it on the bench and that way you can use one in the tight spots when it's actually critical.
                I've only found one thumb control so far that is comfortable, and can lay perfect beads in almost every situation, and stay together in a rough environment.
                YMMV

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Using a mirror. Brings back fond memories, putting flanges on 12" to 20" diameter tubes. Had to weld complete inside and out. Tubes ranged from 2' to 6' long. I made a little stand to hold the mirror to do the inside welds. Holy moly at fist adding rod was hard my brain said move my hand one way but when i did it was the wrong direction. FRUSTRATING but with a little practice it became second nature. Thumb control is the same, the more you use it the better you get. I've done lots of thumb control welding standing on ladders. My favorite thumb control is the one that I got with my sync 250, it is a roller style from Miller. don't think they make them anymore. 3 rolls of the finger gives me full throttle. For bench welding I prefer the pedal, don't need to make things any harder the necessary

Comment

I have worked in shops where you have no control over a foot pedal or thumb. Its run what they have. My last job was a foot pedal. My new job is thumb control. So I don't have a choice...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      I have worked in shops where you have no control over a foot pedal or thumb. Its run what they have. My last job was a foot pedal. My new job is thumb control. So I don't have a choice...Bob
                      Exactly!!
                      That's how I learned the thumb.....not by choice
                      Although I had used the "button" a great deal by then

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Working...
                      X