No announcement yet.

1976 cj5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice lookin Jeep! My first one was a 74 CJ-5 Renegade with a 304 got bored with that and found a 390 out of a AMX, swapped out for 11;1 pistons, HP cam, intake, header, 650 dbl pump, and a accel ignition system. It would pull the front wheels in 1rst, and 2nd if I did my part. Sold it decades ago and just picked up a used 02 TJ with a six cylinder, keeps me more planted with that engine. lol..

Comment

The newer stuff is nicer to work on

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

My neighbor has a rust free late 70's Jeep from Az. That thing is mint. The transfer case was messed up when he got it 3 or 4 years ago. It had Renault trans parts in it and he found a new gear and got it all fixed. Guess AMC and Renault had something going at one time...Bob
        The first Wranglers and the late 80's Jeep pickups used Renault transmissions. The trannys were junk through and through. I had an 83 CJ-7 I put a Mustang 5.0 and T-18 transmission in then foolishly sold it.
        MM251
        Hypertherm45XP

Comment

Still have my 73 CJ5 bought in 1973, now on fourth paint from original "farelane green".
          no rust, stripped to bare metal
          ​​​​​
          ​​​​​​ripped out all the wiring, have 're wired it using marine grade, "Anchor" and " Blue Sea" products.
          push button start, toggle ignition switch.

got a jeep roll bar from dealer in 1978, now removed, could give it away, but too bulky to ship.
          Is useful with soft top for support.
          dropped in an AMC 401 V8 from a police car and Crysler 727 automatic with floor shift.
          disk brakes front and rear to replace original drums.

power steering up grade, centerline aluminum rims.
          Edlebrock 4 BBL carburetor.

replaced single lever Tcase shifter with older style dual lever shift mechanism.
          use 15x31 tires, larger tires make it unstable.

Drove it from From So Cal to Chicago in Feb 1984 with trailer full of steel tools.
          had an over size heater, stock, since have removed all air equipment, fan, heater core, etc.
          original radiator, rebuilt steering column, replaced ball bearings with bronze bushings.
          replace lower rear gas tank, now under drivers seat.
          rebuilt original seats, with canvas covers, most totally replace the original low back seats with high back.

made a 4x6 utility trailer from 56 F100 drop axle and side panels and used my first AC welding machine
          to fabricate frame.

My son drove 73 CJ5 in college, then titled it back, he will get it back again some day.

Comment

Working...
          X