Engine swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

want to put a 370 or 351W in my 2006 f150 currently with a 4,6 V8 and also want to replace front axle and swap to 4wd any suggestions? Or anyone who has done already. I'm aware it'll run me around 15k to get it done but it's going to be for my son and the current engine is sitting at 210k running strong but want a. New engine and tranny for when he's running it.

My suggestion is, unless this truck has some sentimental value or just have a hankerin to make this swap, to buy something that suits your needs. For $15k you can get a dadgum fine four wheel drive with a big enough motor.

Comment

Been the best truck I've ever had and body is in extremely good shape. Idk I may not do fourwheel conversion but def bigger engine.
      (I said deff. Bc everytime I spell it out its wrong ) hhaa

Comment

Ha! I know, it's a big word for your ford guys...<br />
        <br />
        I'm in a similar position with a 1990 jeep. Have a GM 4.3L waiting to go in it. After buying the transmission and adapters and yada yada yada, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a jeep with the straight 6 in it. But it's about the journey to get there. The easy way won't be any fun anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Ha! I know, it's a big word for your ford guys...<br />
          <br />
          I'm in a similar position with a 1990 jeep. Have a GM 4.3L waiting to go in it.
          I put a 4.3 in my buddies Tracker. About a 4 hour job. But it was 2 wheel drive and he used the same trans that the motor was mated to...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

It's not the time, it's the parts, which are available no problem. The transmission that's in the jeep now is an AX5. I have little faith that it would stand up to the additional oomph of the 4.3. So I'm looking for an AX15. Then I have to adapt it, a few other changes....so it should be a fun job. The big deal is...the little engine that's in it now won't die. If it were to die, I'd be elbows deep in that project by tomorrow. But she just keeps chooching along. <br />
            <br />
            I bet that tracker felt like speedracer with that 4.3 in it.

Comment

If your doing the work yourself, do it with the kid memories are forever and it should be lots of fun for both of you I'm partial to the 351. Swapped one of those with my daughter in her mustang. There are lots of kits out there with correct brackets. Cuts down on fab time and thinking. Also put a 327 in a chevy luv truck, boy did that puppy scoot down the road. The 4x4 conversion can be a lot more intensive project but doable.

Comment

Also, I am personally very interested, what can be linked such problems. A friend had a similar situation.

Comment

It may some need some extensive work to perform perfectly. I would agree with ryanjones2150, unless this truck has some sentimental value go do it!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    It's not the time, it's the parts, which are available no problem. The transmission that's in the jeep now is an AX5. I have little faith that it would stand up to the additional oomph of the 4.3. So I'm looking for an AX15. Then I have to adapt it, a few other changes....so it should be a fun job. The big deal is...the little engine that's in it now won't die. If it were to die, I'd be elbows deep in that project by tomorrow. But she just keeps chooching along. <br />
                    <br />
                    I bet that tracker felt like speedracer with that 4.3 in it.
                    Can you find Chevy transmission to use with that engine you can adapt to your transfer case? The AX-15 is definitely better than the AX-5 but not sure how it will hold up to the 4.3.
                    MM251
                    Hypertherm45XP

Comment

I gave Novak adapters a call and talked about it with them, the AX15 is actually then transmission they recommend. Supposed to keep all the linkage in the same spot, I can use my existing transfer case too. The NV3550 is also a common one and the Novak guys say it's a good choice too. I also talked to a jeep place over in Houston, they had a totally different opinion. So my guess is that I'll get a different opinion from each person I ask, so I'm gonna go with what I know and have experience with. As I understand it, the ax15 is also the most common in a swap like this. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

I have a 370 in one of my older Ford dump trucks -- low power, even lower torque. These motors are marginal performers. About all I can carry (roughly 14 yards) is mulch, light/dry compost, etc.
                        ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                        Spectrum 875
                        Diversion 180
                        Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                        Miller 252
                        MM 211
                        CST 280
                        Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X