Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MyAsianNotSoNormalHotRodThread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    For practice cutting... fitting.... tacking and welding exhaust tubing...

    you might go down to a local muffler shop and see if they will let you dig in their scrap bin for some drops and shorts..

    they are usually car guys and will probably let you scrounge..

    and yes mild steel will weld a little bit different than stainless.. but close enough to be quite useful...

    Besides if you foodl-dey-duck up some free mild steel... it will not hurt like if it was expensive stainless..
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by H80N View Post
      For practice cutting... fitting.... tacking and welding exhaust tubing...

      you might go down to a local muffler shop and see if they will let you dig in their scrap bin for some drops and shorts..

      they are usually car guys and will probably let you scrounge..

      and yes mild steel will weld a little bit different than stainless.. but close enough to be quite useful...

      Besides if you foodl-dey-duck up some free mild steel... it will not hurt like if it was expensive stainless..
      Thanks
      You've been a great help but I'm still having the hf arc start problem. I fired it up yesterday and it would arc fire say 5 times then stop working. Then start working...an intermittent problem...frustrating.

      This machine with my back ground may have been a mistake purchase but it is what I have so I'm going to have to do some more trouble shooting.

      Comment


      • #18
        I need a brass ground clamp.

        With my machine should I get the 200 amp or the 300 amp?

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/300AMP-COPPE...item4d1df55382

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by scratchedup View Post
          Thanks
          You've been a great help but I'm still having the hf arc start problem. I fired it up yesterday and it would arc fire say 5 times then stop working. Then start working...an intermittent problem...frustrating.

          This machine with my back ground may have been a mistake purchase but it is what I have so I'm going to have to do some more trouble shooting.
          it may very well be a matter of getting used to the machine and settings as FusionKing had suggested..

          developing consistant technique takes time and practice ... touching the tung to the work and lifting it off before each arc start... making sure the tung is properly prepped and collets + conductor in torch body are clean.. without tarnish.. corrosion,, spark burn..

          also... had you checked and tightened cable connections as Cruizer had suggested??

          ANOTHER approach you might think about is to sell the Dynasty you have and invest in a new one...
          it really depends on if your budget will allow... and if you wish to bypass the learning curve/grief of arc starts on the older one... probably have no problem selling it

          or even find a newer "Blue Lightning" equipped one on the used market...
          (Dynasty 200 with a serial# of LJ280222L and above are equipped with "Blue Lightning")

          And you could go directly to working on the car...
          Last edited by H80N; 05-28-2014, 01:58 PM.
          .

          *******************************************
          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

          My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by scratchedup View Post
            I need a brass ground clamp.

            With my machine should I get the 200 amp or the 300 amp?

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/300AMP-COPPE...item4d1df55382
            Either one should be fine... but that 300 amp Lenco is reasonable enough.. a little overkill here would not hurt anything..
            .

            *******************************************
            The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

            “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

            Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

            My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

            TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

            Comment


            • #21
              Just got back.
              Bought a brass ground but had trouble finding lanthanated Tungsten.

              Went to 2 weld shops...no luck.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by H80N View Post

                also... had you checked and tightened cable connections as Cruizer had suggested??

                I'm about to put the Miller power cord back on and check the points so all connections will be checked.

                ANOTHER approach you might think about is to sell the Dynasty you have and invest in a new one...
                it really depends on if your budget will allow... and if you wish to bypass the learning curve/grief of arc starts on the older one... probably have no problem selling it

                or even find a newer "Blue Lightning" equipped one on the used market...
                (Dynasty 200 with a serial# of LJ280222L and above are equipped with "Blue Lightning")

                And you could go directly to working on the car...
                I like this idea...this may be to much machine for me anyway.

                I paid $1500 for the entire set-up with gas and a bunch of extra stuff. You have any idea of what it might fetch?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by scratchedup View Post
                  Just got back.
                  Bought a brass ground but had trouble finding lanthanated Tungsten.

                  Went to 2 weld shops...no luck.

                  This is the easy answer for 2% Lanthanated...

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HTP-2-Lan...#ht_841wt_1106

                  and your arc starts will probably improve as well...

                  there are several decent suppliers on fleabay/or internet..
                  .

                  *******************************************
                  The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                  “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                  Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                  My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

                  TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by scratchedup View Post
                    I like this idea...this may be to much machine for me anyway.

                    I paid $1500 for the entire set-up with gas and a bunch of extra stuff. You have any idea of what it might fetch?
                    Would think you could get $1500-2000 for the bare power supply.. but others might have a better handle on used prices...

                    would do some more checking..

                    for torch... reg..leads.. etc..do not know if you would buy all new or use the acces you have with the new supply..
                    might make sense to bite the bullet and go all new..
                    clean slate..
                    .

                    *******************************************
                    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                    My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

                    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by H80N View Post
                      This is the easy answer for 2% Lanthanated...

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HTP-2-Lan...#ht_841wt_1106

                      and your arc starts will probably improve as well...

                      there are several decent suppliers on fleabay/or internet..

                      Yes thats what I figured....I use Amazon and Ebay all the time ...that was my next step.

                      GOOD NEWS.... I think I "fixed" the arc start problem.

                      New Brass Ground Clamp, Lightly sanded and MEK cleaned- grd to machine plug and torch cable plug to machine plug, all torch bits and reground & fine sanded tungsten (red...all I have for now) put all back together.

                      It fired about 25 arc starts....worked perfect.

                      Theres hope.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by scratchedup View Post
                        Yes thats what I figured....I use Amazon and Ebay all the time ...that was my next step.

                        GOOD NEWS.... I think I "fixed" the arc start problem.

                        New Brass Ground Clamp, Lightly sanded and MEK cleaned- grd to machine plug and torch cable plug to machine plug, all torch bits and reground & fine sanded tungsten (red...all I have for now) put all back together.

                        It fired about 25 arc starts....worked perfect.

                        Theres hope.
                        Glad to hear that....... Thank Cruizer for that suggestion...
                        Last edited by H80N; 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM.
                        .

                        *******************************************
                        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                        My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

                        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Compressor flange.....work in progress...welder's name is pirate...retired Delta airlines...



                          Cleaned up-


                          Last edited by scratchedup; 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28

                            Comment


                            • #29

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                if you debur the inside of the tube and remove fins before it is fitted and welded... there will be a lot less that needs to be ground out after welding..

                                also it looks like he is cooking those welds... he might consider increasing the amperage and speeding up his pace...
                                it should result in smaller tighter beads that still have enough penetration to be sound..
                                Last edited by H80N; 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM.
                                .

                                *******************************************
                                The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                                “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                                Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                                My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                                Millermatic 200

                                TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X