Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unibody chassis welding project -> combine two cars :-)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibody chassis welding project -> combine two cars :-)

So, I have this dream of building off of what another, respected member of another forum of which I am a member built: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...onversion.html

My build, detailed here: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20...-b-series.html, differs from his in the sense that I will not be combining two different chassis styles... I will be combining two of the same, but maintaining the goal of creating a mid-engine, rear wheel drive car out of two front wheel drive cars.

The welding comes in where I want to weld the front horns from donor car number one into the rear of donor car number two. I have been told that MIG is the way to go for this stuff since it's pretty thin sheet metal.

I have a decent materials knowledge from my work as an engineer, but have never done welding before. While doing some reading and getting recommendations from other folks, the Millermatic 140 was suggested as the optimum welder because all I have to know is the wire diameter and the sheet metal thickness of the project while the machine does everything else.

I have looked into hobbyist level welding classes locally only to find out that they're no longer offered. The next available classes are the ones that offer certifications and they run about $6k before it's all said and done.

I'm hoping for some recommendations on how to build expertise as my current plan is to watch as many online videos as possible, read as many applicable threads as possible, and get some hands-on experience with scrap chunks of chassis to which I have access.

Thoughts?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.
Working...
X
Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.