Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Block Welding ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H80N View Post
    BTW... what did he suggest for filler...

a number of us have had pretty good luck on Cast 356 with 4943 filler..

(I am a pretty recent convert myself..)
    Yes, he said that he liked a fairly "new" filler rod........I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think that it was 4943.

Comment

As of a couple of years ago when I was welding on a Delorian engine block, Chris told me to try some 2319, So I keep that on hand as well as some 1100 rod for doing thin aluminum.

I've been welding The dirtiest, nastiest oil soaked aluminum for 20 years so I've gotten pretty good and can weld pretty much anything that I come across.

I tig weld all kinds of piping from low pressure to Hi pressure hydraulics and never have a leak.

All my customers think I'm the best thing out there and I'm not going to tell them any different.

But when it comes to Chris I still look at his work and say Wow, He is truly a Artist.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
        As of a couple of years ago when I was welding on a Delorian engine block, Chris told me to try some 2319, So I keep that on hand as well as some 1100 rod for doing thin aluminum.

I've been welding The dirtiest, nastiest oil soaked aluminum for 20 years so I've gotten pretty good and can weld pretty much anything that I come across.

I tig weld all kinds of piping from low pressure to Hi pressure hydraulics and never have a leak.

All my customers think I'm the best thing out there and I'm not going to tell them any different.

But when it comes to Chris I still look at his work and say Wow, He is truly a Artist.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
        2319..??? that is one alloy I have not used... seems like an odd choice..

ALLOY 2319 is one of the few Al-Cu alloy filler metals available.. and the literature says it needs post weld heat treatment..

any idea why he would have chosen it??... always willing to learn new tricks..

http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/weld/2319.html
        Last edited by H80N; 12-10-2013, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I read the info that you sent over, The way I read it is that it is heat treatable, That doesn't mean it has to be heat treated.

It also mentioned that it can be used for welding on castings.

However, To be honest with you I never second guessed Chris, I just bought some and tried it.

The valley under the intake was open and the acid from the leaves and antifreeze along with the rain water had pitted the aluminum, Not to mention another welder tried to weld the block with a arc welder and blew holes into the oil galleries and left me a mess to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
            I read the info that you sent over, The way I read it is that it is heat treatable, That doesn't mean it has to be heat treated.It also mentioned that it can be used for welding on castings.However, To be honest with you I never second guessed Chris, I just bought some and tried it.The valley under the intake was open and the acid from the leaves and antifreeze along with the rain water had pitted the aluminum, Not to mention another welder tried to weld the block with a arc welder and blew holes into the oil galleries and left me a mess to clean up.
            Am by no means second guessing him.... but would love to hear his thoughts on his choice...

it might be that the DeLorean/Renault block is an Alusil casting and 2319 is one of the acceptable fillers for that high silicon alloy..??

If you get a chance to ask him... could you share it with us??

it does look like 4943 is a viable filler for that these days as well..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4943
            Last edited by H80N; 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.