Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ss custom turbo header

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ss custom turbo header

Hi, I'm a newbe on welding but I'm making a turbo header for my bike. It's going to be made on SS 304. I will like to received advice, sugestions and maybe alittle help about tric etc. I'm using a .035 ss fluxcore at 240v on my 211mvp. I need to know what can I use in order to clean the metal.

acetone

Comment

dont forget to purge ss pipes

Comment

Like I said, I'm new on this, what do you mean with purge?

Comment

If you are using flux core I don't think you are going to purge with argon.

Comment

ss custom turbo header

I would recommend using solid wire with gas mix, and acetone or similar well make for easy clean up.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice, but I only have this .035 ss fluxcore roll. I can't buy a 3mix bottle on this moment. But thanks! Does any one knows about about what kind of setting I should use? The volts/wire feed combination for that wire?

Comment

Originally posted by Goliad316 View Post
                Ok, thanks for the advice, but I only have this .035 ss fluxcore roll. I can't buy a 3mix bottle on this moment. But thanks! Does any one knows about about what kind of setting I should use? The volts/wire feed combination for that wire?
                You will be doing yourself a HUGE favor by getting a bunch of spare tubing and do a lot of practicing on it... Only when you are confident in your fitting and welding skills should you attempt to start the real project...

No shame in developing your skills to equal the task...

Think you will be much happier in the long run..

How can anybody advise settings if we do not know the thickness of the tube and flanges as well as the maker and formulation of fluxcore??

For an example: Aufhauser Flux Cored Stainless Steel Wires

http://www.brazing.com/products/Weld...red_stainless/
                Last edited by H80N; 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hi the tube is a 304 sch10, the flanges are 3/8". other is 5/16" and a t3 flang of about 1/5"

Comment

I allready start the proyect but I'm seen a lot of splaters on the area, and I'm worried of not getting good penetration.

Comment

Machine polarity settings??
                      DCEN
                      Electrode Negative for Flux Core Wire ??

Input power, 120 or 240vac ???
                      NO Extension cords??

Have you consulted the settings chart in section 5-3 of the manual for fluxcore wire??

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o239988j_mil.pdf

Again... I would urge you to practice on scrap FIRST..

Comment

I set the volts around 6 and 7 and wire speed to 50 and yes it is DCEN. I do have to use a 50fts extension cord 0f super service 10/3 240v.

Comment

The piece does get realy hot, but I dont see a constat pudle.

Comment

The roll is a .035 308l fco made by htp

Comment

Header design & fabrication at best is a complicated, difficult process....

Making a turbo header is an order of magnitude more ambitious an undertaking...

Here is a great source of information and supplies.. Stainless Headers Mfg

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/index.aspx

Their fabrication videos are truly outstanding.. and FREE...

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/headerfabrication

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.