Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding mounting tabs to a unibody

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding mounting tabs to a unibody

Guys: I plan to add a few mounting tabs to the body of my project car on the interior. They would be small tabs with the same thickness as the body panels...not sure of exact gauge. But essentially sheet metal thickness and a lap joint. I am new to welding and using a Diversion 180. My big question is what precautions do I need to take to make sure I don't hurt the car's electrics. This is thin enough that I will be at low amperage. I will place the ground cable as close as possible to the weld area. Is that my only precaution or do I need to do more to make sure the electrical system won't be harmed in any way? Probably a dumb question, but you guys are the experts. I appreciate it!

Disconnect the battery in addition to keeping the ground close to the work.

Comment

I agree with kb on both aspects watched my father to it most of my life.

Comment

If your worried about hurting the battery then either disconnect both leads or none at all. I have seen on more than one occasion someone disconnecting the ground only & having the battery shorted out.

The most important part is to have a good close ground on clean metal.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.