No announcement yet.

Upcoming roll cage job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe this thing has been in my shop this long. Been working on it in between other stuff & almost finished up the cage today. Waiting for the owner to reinstall the dash & then get the new seat mounted so I can determine the height of the harness bar. Once the harness bar is in I can make the rear seat support & put the braces from the main hoop to the tunnel & it will be done. Hopefully soon so I can get it out of here.

Job was way more of a hassle than I thought. Seems like it took forever but it is coming out nice. I will say I would think twice before doing another one. I bought a RCCS-14 finger control (north/south) for this job but I can't get used to it at all. Even just sitting at the bench it is very hard to ramp up & down. I think I would rather have an on/off switch.

Since it is chrome-moly it all had to be tigged. The worst was the front down bars to the floor. No matter what I did I couldn't get all the way around. Tried all the tricks I know, mirror, tungsten stick out but just couldn't get my hands & helmet in position to see & weld about 3/4" in the back side. So I finally figured out a way to "cheat". I tigged what I could & then was able to mig what I couldn't using a mirror. Then I went back with one hand & washed it in with the tig. Looks good.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Name:  04b03789574ff254a74e4e0507e6c157.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  32.5 KBName:  b5a0617794d57e3894e3f84236b25a10.jpg
Size:  78.5 KBName:  e7c4b6c57f76aea4d4c54b3e1ccf1ce4.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  60.8 KBName:  02c905204354a550bef765ddfa6c7239.jpg
Size:  78.9 KBName:  f625ad4fc6463fa715e49f40d2a53e28.jpg
Size:  72.3 KB
      Last edited by MMW; 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
        . The worst was the front down bars to the floor. No matter what I did I couldn't get all the way around.
        I welded the floor plates to the bars on the bench for that location. I figured running the Mig in tight quarters to weld the plate to the floor was much easier that trying to Tig way in there.

I used a helper to run the pedal for me rather than going with a finger control. It took a little bit to get the two of us coordinated but worked out OK in the end. I wouldn't want to do it that way if I needed to make a living welding cages but for my one off in the driveway it was fine.

Comment

I thought about welding the floor plates onto the tubes first but by that time it was to late, I had them welded to the floor already. I wish the cage maker (Midwest Chassis) included instructions or helpful hints with the kit. It would have saved me time in figuring it out. I will say any question I e-mailed to him he did answer quickly & the halo bar was bent wrong & he replaced it quickly after I sent him a pic explaining what was wrong. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the customer service/shipping of this kit was not the best but I do believe that he has taken care of that. I have had nothing but good service in dealing direct with him. The fit was great as no adjustments were needed other than trimming & notching.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24