Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Tunnel Construction

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Tunnel Construction

Hi,

I Was wondering if anyone can give any tips for constructing a new transmission tunnel in a race car.

The car is FWD so the tunnel is only for the exhaust pipe. We need to remove the existing tunnel which is too small for the exhaust/oil lines etc which will run down the centre.

We will replace it with one which is larger, and I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on tig welding the new tunnel to the existing floorpan. would one tig weld along the full length of the tunnel (from the firewall to where the floor pan kicks up for the rear seats etc) or would you stitch weld it?

Cheers

I have welded in a few of them. Mig welded soild to keep the fumes out. I suppose you could stitch it and use a sealer. Why tig weld?...Bob

Comment

Transmission Tunnel Construction

We built a pro-street car a few years ago, mig welded, cleaned up the welds then 3M brush able seam sealer then paint. It looked factory and held up to body flex= no cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        I have welded in a few of them. Mig welded soild to keep the fumes out. I suppose you could stitch it and use a sealer. Why tig weld?...Bob
        I originally wanted to use gig as it was cleaner/neater... would using a tig be a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco26 View Post
          I originally wanted to use Tig as it was cleaner/neater... would using a tig be a bad idea?
          You can use what ever process you want. If it is steel i would use a mig and .024 wire but thats just me speaking. Post some pics when you are done...Bob

Comment

I think it would depend mainly if it will be structural or not wether to stitch or full weld. A uni-body uses the tunnel for support/strength. Now if the car has it's own frame or cage then it most likely isn't structural. Without pics it is hard to even give an opinion.

Comment

tranny tunnel

make it out of cardboard and duct tape. When you are happy cut out and fab with sheet.

Comment

x2 on the cardboard mockup. I'd seal it up with fully welded seams with a mig. Whats the material?

Comment

x2 on the cardboard mockup. I'd seal it up with fully welded seams with a mig. Whats the material?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.