Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

blueprint reading

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueprint reading

Do any body knows where I can get some info on blueprint reading

Take a drafting course at your local JC.

Comment

That was a very rude answer and absolutely no help at all. Of course you didn't mean to help. You just wanted to be a smart a$$ and you achieved that.

Comment

Jmk

Try your local library

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
          That was a very rude answer and absolutely no help at all. Of course you didn't mean to help. You just wanted to be a smart a$$ and you achieved that.
          Bull sheet,,,,, Monte. We've butted heads several times before, usually over your friggin fuzzy sensitive viewpoints. Thirty years ago, a company requested I learned how to read blueprints, THAT is exactly what they recommended I do. Case closed, if you can draw 'em you can read 'em.

Oh, yeah,,,,, just wanted to mention. I killed a couple rabbits last week, they were trying to eat my pepper plants Didn't even bother trying to make rabbit stew out of them; they were so bloody (12 ga.), just tossed the carcasses into the compost pile, they'll be part of next year's tomatoes.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Printreading-W...7393693&sr=8-2

Give this a shot. Kind of pricey but there are cheaper ones on Amazon.com. Good luck. Print reading is a huge part of becoming a good all around employee.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
              Bull sheet,,,,, Monte. We've butted heads several times before, usually over your friggin fuzzy sensitive viewpoints. Thirty years ago, a company requested I learned how to read blueprints, THAT is exactly what they recommended I do. Case closed, if you can draw 'em you can read 'em.

Oh, yeah,,,,, just wanted to mention. I killed a couple rabbits last week, they were trying to eat my pepper plants Didn't even bother trying to make rabbit stew out of them; they were so bloody (12 ga.), just tossed the carcasses into the compost pile, they'll be part of next year's tomatoes.
              The person asked a simple question. He didn't say he wanted to learn for a job. If so, your answer would have been fine. If someone asked you for directions to somewhere, would you tell them to get a job at Rand McNally or buy a GPS? You could tell them also to go to a JC. Be sure to tell them the rabbit story. That will impress them.

Comment

You don't need to know how to draw them to read them otherwise i'd be screwed. I'm gonna have to agree with Monte on this one. I have been known to shoot a rabbit from time to time though.

Comment

let the rabbits eat the peppers and then eat the rabbits. They will already be seasoned. Simple. I also say feed tuna fish mayo. One less step when making a sandwich.

Comment

I prefer my rabbit/lamb etc. flavored with rosemary. Plenty of rosemary here, but the rabbits won't eat it.

There is nothing, to my mind, more disgusting than watered-down mayo. Besides, don't fish have feelings??????

Getting back to the original question, there is no better way of learning how to read blueprints than learning how to draw them. You don't even need to be good at drawing, you don't even need to pass the class, but you will learn the basics of blueprints.

Not even sure if they still teach drafting nowadays,,,,, isn't it all autocad today?

I simply answered the question as I read and saw it.

Sorry I got your panties all bunched up, Monte.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                      Take a drafting course at your local JC.
                      I agree. My grampa told me when i was a kid that he couldn't read drawings so he took a night class at the then local high school. He said if you ever get a chance to learn do it. So i signed up for classes at my high school and learned...Bob

Comment

Bob, I was always sorry I didn't take a drafting course in high school or college. I did end up taking one at a local JC, about 4 years AFTER I finished my (non-engineering) Batchelor's degree. Bunch of teenagers there, I was the oldest one in the class, felt like a dirty old man looking at girls. I had already left the job that suggested I take the class, but I finished anyway because I very quickly realized the benefits to understanding blueprints. I still can't draw worth a dam, but I can sketch pretty good.

Comment

And I CAN read the friggin' prints.

Comment

If you would like to teach yourself to read and draw blueprints order the Popular Mechanics book, Titled "The Art of Mechanical Drawing" It will teach you to draw well enough to read any print out there and it was only about 10 bucks and a little investment of time. I didn't get the chance to do it in High School, but I have managed to go back and pick up a lot of the things I blew off as a stoner back in the 70's. Shoulda applied myself way back then, just had the wrong priorities back then.
                            Bob

Comment

here is the best of both worlds, my deceased pop,n,law, in his day was quite an engineer and a top notch draftsman, each day after work he would go to the shed, grab a rabbit, lop off its head, and cook er up for supper,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.