Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheet metal intake

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet metal intake

Whats up guys, Just thought id share some pics of my project im working on now, I decided to make a sheetmetal intake for my car. This has really proven to be a challenge for me being the first one ive ever made but i am having fun and learning alot. This is a project im doing in school for my machining classes, Trying to learn how to remove metal instead of melting it together Ive been working on the intake runneres all weekend and will post more pics as i get it done, Wish the welds would of turned out better but my local ws company told me theres a helium shortage and i havnt been able to get any, Hopefully i can talk the owner into selling me a bottle cause it would be a great deal of help to me welding this up.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by spence648 View Post
    Wish the welds would of turned out better but my local ws company told me theres a helium shortage and i havnt been able to get any, Hopefully i can talk the owner into selling me a bottle cause it would be a great deal of help to me welding this up.
    Nice job on the intake? What engine? There is no Helium shortage in my town as all the dollar stores are selling tons of helium balloons...Bob

Comment

You will probly laugh at this but the motor is a sb ford 306, nothing fancy and by no means needs a sheet metal intake, was more of just a challange to see if i could build one and make some horsepower, The eldebrock i pulled off didnt line up for **** and was nothing i could do about it because the bolt holes were actually off from the ports. So one side was in the port and one side was out, Not sure if this was an eldebrock issue or if afr differs on port location (i have afr heads). The best ive got out of the car so far is an 11.63 im just trying to see if i can do better, As far as the helium goes thats just what they told me, He told me the car dealer ships were pissed because they would not sell them any helium at this time. Here is some more pics of the runners tacked on, I am almost allready dreading all the clean up work and grinding to get these runners matched to the ports and plenum at the right radius that ill be happy with. I tried to make the runners out of sheet metal, and actually got the shape i was looking for but could not repeat it accurately, and since this is a project for school i have to get it done so i decided to use pipe that i smashed at flange end to match port best i could and plan to do final clean up with a die grinder.
      Attached Files

Comment

You will probly laugh at this but the motor is a sb ford 306,
        Thought so. I have a 5.0 sitting in my basement along two 429's and a pile of goodies like 6-71 superchargers. My boy has a 5.0 Mustang like yours and is building a 410 Windsor for it. I am old school i would have bolted in one of my 429's...Bob

Comment

Looks like nice work....

keep us posted as you progress...

have you seen HOGANS???..... they do some neat stuff too..

here is a link..

http://hogansracingmanifolds.com/index.aspx

Comment

Pure Artistry....

and then there is John Marcella's work...... just inspirational
            (borrowed the link from another thread.... visuals are stunning!!)....

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=83501

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...28&postcount=4

http://www.marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html
            Last edited by H80N; 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

AND How NOT to Do It.....

here is an example as to a path you might want to avoid...

Name:  a64d1041be4717ee5fd4b6a65f289daa.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  46.1 KB

Comment

Yeah he does some amazing work, I hope i can make something half as nice, although my expectations are not to high for being first one ive done. And man i hope i can do better than the other pic.lol it looks like those were some nice flanges at one time. I can tell you this, the intake runners are harder to get around than you would think, been bending my filler rod in all sort of directions. Will post some pics soon as get plenum done. Nobody else has heard of a helium shortage? went today for another bottle of argon and still couldnt get no helium

Comment

Nobody else has heard of a helium shortage? went today for another bottle of argon and still couldnt get no helium
                  Guess it is true. http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/307368 ...Bob

Comment

Yeah he does some amazing work, I hope i can make something half as nice, although my expectations are not to high for being first one ive done. And man i hope i can do better than the other pic.lol it looks like those were some nice flanges at one time. I can tell you this, the intake runners are harder to get around than you would think, been bending my filler rod in all sort of directions. Will post some pics soon as get plenum done. Nobody else has heard of a helium shortage? went today for another bottle of argon and still couldnt get no helium
                    Spence
                    don't let anybody smoke you.... your work is nice.... and downright exceptional for a first try on an ambitious and very difficult project...
                    PLS keep us posted with pics as you progress....

BTW... just posted the pic of that Migged abstract monster... for humor sake... what a waste of flange and turbo.........
                    Last edited by H80N; 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

thanks alot, I tried to get some work done on it tonight but got interupted by company and just ended up bs ing for too long, i did however get started on the plenum, ive made alot of mistakes but also learned alot too. I know i can definately do better if i do another one again, here is a pic of runners welded to side plate of plenum,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got a little more done today, still needs alot of clean up but i guess im getting there,

Attached Files
                        Last edited by spence648; 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Really, really nice!!!! guess the only thing I could suggest is that maybe you would want to invest a little time in making a set of soft jaws for your vise....
                          you have invested so much time in making that pretty... makes me sad to see the mash marks on the tubes.... ....once you have made up a set or two... you will wonder how you got by without them... copper, micarta, delrin, hardwood, or aluminum... the possibles are nearly endless...

Do have a feeling that you will eventually invest in a hydraulic press.... useful devils, they are....

Comment

yeah i hear ya on vice marks, im kinda kickin myself for that too, was just stupid, i think i can get them out with some sand paper though, allthough there was no reason for the extra work, sad thing is i have a press!!! I finally gave up on the helium and just went ahead and finished tigging in the runners last night, they didnt turn out the greatest but im satisfied, now just got to put a front on it and then write a program to cut out the top, Trying to decide if i should have the top removable or just weld it on, and also if i should just make carb opening a square oppening or contour to the venturi's around the outsides, thinking i might get a better booster signal if i do that? any thoughts

Comment

yeah i hear ya on vice marks, im kinda kickin myself for that too, was just stupid, i think i can get them out with some sand paper though, allthough there was no reason for the extra work, sad thing is i have a press!!! I finally gave up on the helium and just went ahead and finished tigging in the runners last night, they didnt turn out the greatest but im satisfied, now just got to put a front on it and then write a program to cut out the top, Trying to decide if i should have the top removable or just weld it on, and also if i should just make carb opening a square oppening or contour to the venturi's around the outsides, thinking i might get a better booster signal if i do that? any thoughts
                              you see an awful lot of them with removeable tops... must be a good reason for it....... would give you more options with minimal heartbreak and lead time if you decided to mod your setup....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.