Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

WRC style gussets for rollcage.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so it sounds like VSC doesn't know how they are made either and i doubt custom cages are gonna tell you how they do it for free the two piece is good if all you want is the look but they are nowhere near as strong as the one piece would be plus i think the two piece thing you are looking at is actually a plastic cover to something because if you look where it meets the carbon fiber there is a ridge or something

Comment

Originally posted by BELLBOYMOTORSPORTS View Post
      so it sounds like VSC doesn't know how they are made either and i doubt custom cages are gonna tell you how they do it for free the two piece is good if all you want is the look but they are nowhere near as strong as the one piece would be plus i think the two piece thing you are looking at is actually a plastic cover to something because if you look where it meets the carbon fiber there is a ridge or something
      Carbon fiber??? what carbon fiber?? what am I missing here?? plastic cover ditto????.......

Comment

Am looking for more plcs of the Dakar Tuareg cage for more detail of A-Pillar/windshield and B-pillar roof curved taco gussets.....

ran into this diversion..... a street concept.... pardon the detour...

http://www.autowallpaperhd.com/volks...cept-2011.html

[Even the stock street V10 diesel is formidable , younger brother has one... can light all 4 tires and go sideways if you punch it... something that the Cayene turbo S that I had, could not do... would love to put either engine in a 914... would be fun.... more likely to see an Iltis than anything powerful in these tight finances,,,]
        Last edited by H80N; 12-07-2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

OK here is the detail on the Tuareg cage

Name:  2700e4f12bb4e3e5abe629d6776e4148.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  40.5 KB

OK OK Bellboy.... I see what you are talking about where Suvi has posted the pic where it looks like a weld line on the B-pillar gusset painted white... think that is a real gusset though not a cover... not positive though....

Comment

Those guys have infinitely deep pockets and do things the average shop can't do.
            It looks to me like they are deep drawn and then trimmed into shape.
            CG

Comment

It is the deep drawn stuff we are looking for.... hammerforming halves would be simple.... as would bandsawing prebent tube and fishplating.... BUT Drawn or Stamped...... they may come out of some corner of industry totally unrelated to racing....

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                It is the deep drawn stuff we are looking for.... hammerforming halves would be simple.... as would bandsawing prebent tube and fishplating.... BUT Drawn or Stamped...... they may come out of some corner of industry totally unrelated to racing....
                id have to agree with you on that it might come from somewhere unrelated to racing im leaning toward it being stamped or requiring a lot of metal working skill

Comment

Been doing a lot research lately. And from reliable source i got told that all the curved gussets that VW racing cars have are made in 2 pieces.

Good hi-res pic
                  http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-...red-bull-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks Suvi
                    Two pieces make the fabrication of those bits a whole lot simpler ....

Comment

While not exactly about the gussets.... these guys have dome some interesting things with how they have tied off suspension etc.. with the cage...

http://www.adgespeed.co.uk/preparation.asp

Comment

Gusset

I realize that this thread has been hangin on for awhile. I just looked at that gusset.

Seems a Pullmax could easily shape that profile. Of course, if you look at the gussets at the top of the A-Pillars in the picture, you can see the weld seam. It looks like a clamshell type gusset to me. For what its worth, they DO look nice.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.