Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home built Bull Bar

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home built Bull Bar

Havent been around in a while but am back for some opinions. I'm building a push bar similar to a "Bull Bar" for my '06 f-150 2-WD. It's got a level kit and 33's on it and I want the bar to give it a little more atitude. I'm gonna use 4'' pipe but the question is should I use schedule 40 or shedule 10? By my calculations the sched 40 would weigh in at just shy of 40lbs and the sched 10 at half that. I plan on compleatly sealing them and threading in an air hose connection and use it as an air tank too.

I'm concerned the sched 40 (1/4'' wall) may cause the springs to sag, making daddy quite unhappy I dont plan on realy hitting anything so im thinking the sched 10 (1/8'' wall). If anyone has any spring rates that would be helpful or any opinions I would gladly listen.

I'd say that 4" would look way to "FAT"! It has an O.D. of 4 1/2". I'd suggest 3" at the most, maybe even 2 1/2". .250 wall pipe weighs in at over 10 #'s per foot, I don't know your design, but I'd guess it'll weigh more than you think, but 40#'s won't overburden your springs.

Comment

I wouldn't use pipe. it's not made for structural strength. Try going with thick walled tubing. You'll have a use a good bender if you plan on putting any bends into it, but it will come out stronger and weight a heck of a lot less. just my 2cents

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.