Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal Bumping? Shrinking an "oil can"

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Bumping? Shrinking an "oil can"

I've got a place on my Jeep that I'm working on and the sheet metal is stretched enough to create an oil can on the panel. I need to shrink it and have looked at a few posts on youtube to learn more about the process. So a few questions:
    1. Rather than an oxy/fuel torch can I use my TIG torch to heat the area?
    2. Would the application of dry ice improve the shrinking over a wet rag?
    3. Hammer and dolly or not? Some say it's absoolutely necessary, buy most seem not to do it.
    Thank in advance!
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 01-14-2011, 06:36 PM.

Shrinking

Nocheepgas, yes you can use the TIG a little more work, but it will work. The use of the O/A is used because it was the most common welding tool in the shops. Just work small dime size spot to red color and cool with a wet cool rag then next spot. Dry ice is over kill. Hammer and dolly works only use light taps but is not always needed. Best thing to do is practice on a piece of scrap sheet first. Hope this helps. Like the pics in other posts of the jeep progress keep them coming.

Comment

The best shrinker is one of those shrinking discs that is used with a lower rpm grinder or sander. It sort of looks like a pan lid with ripples in it...Bob
      http://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com/sdiscdemo.html

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.