Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Board Material

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Board Material

"A customer of mine is also restoring a REO truck. He is looking for new material for the running boards. Instead of conventional checkerplate this has small squares instead. The squares are approximately 3/8" and about two inches apart. Has anyone ever seen anything like this at a steel supplier? Any ideas to put this back to original would be appreciated.

Byron

not sure of a supplier but it could probably be done with a laser or plasma. material wouldn't have to be terribly thick as you could brace it from the underside. Programming wouldn't be obscene as it'd be a repeating pattern.

Comment

By checkerplate do you mean treadplate? or expanded metal?

What you seek has raised squares or square holes?

I've used round perforated and square and other shapes are also available. Maybe THIS is close?

The stuff could be laser, plasma or even flame cut if cost and time were inconsequential, but it isn't. Roller punched.

Comment

I have seen the tread plate with the small square raised holes before. It is much better when wet than the common diamond design.
        I haven't a clue if you can even find it these days. Or if it is even still being made.
        You might find some scrap of it somewhere if you searched all over. No one can expect you to be able to source anything ever made tho.

Comment

Plate

The squares are raised.I am not sure of the correct terminology to describe the plate. It is not expanded metsl. I am thinking that perhaps the material was proprietory so the supply may have been limited. I am hoping that someone out there may have seen it on some othere piece of equipment that may be common in the area that I am in. Thanks for the help so far.

Byron

Comment

Maybe this company can help you www.mcnichols.com It looks like they have something similar under the ''designer metals'' section. Mike
            Last edited by crawdaddy; 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
              Maybe this company can help you www.mcnichols.com It looks like they have something similar under the ''designer metals'' section. Mike
              Here

Comment

Spotsineyes,How do you type the word '' Here" and have it link to the item? That is pretty cool.Mike

Comment

I did it using this method.

Comment

Material

I have one of the local scrapyards keeping there eyes open fof any of this material coming in. One of the guys remembers seeing it in the poast so maybe it will come up again

Byron

Comment

Originally posted by bjfab View Post
                      The squares are raised.I am not sure of the correct terminology to describe the plate. It is not expanded metsl. I am thinking that perhaps the material was proprietory so the supply may have been limited. I am hoping that someone out there may have seen it on some othere piece of equipment that may be common in the area that I am in. Thanks for the help so far.

Byron
                      The plate you're after is tread plate. It used to be common in years past, I've worked with it before and even have a few customers who still have decks with it on. I'm not sure if it's available anymore or not though all of the tread plate I've used in the past 20 or so years has been the diamond pattern. I do remember when I was a teenager decking some mine sleds that went to the sulfur mines in Florida. That was also the project where the shop discovered what zinc poisoning was after I was hospitalized with it and nearly cost me my life.

I will try to ask around tomorrow and see if any of my suppliers have it or can get it. That is if my old-timers allows me to remember it by morning!!!

What thickness do you need and what is the approximate size of the squares?

Comment

Running board material

I have seen some plate similar to the item you are referring to.We called it tread plate it was about a quarter of an inch thick and was used on thresholds ramps etc in textile mills way before diamond plate (100 years ago) (I am only 70). You could possibly research the OEM of your running boards via the Thompson Museum in Cleveland Ohio (I think) which I used for research when I restored a 1929 REO about thirty years ago I will check my notes and if I am incorrect I will post info. Have fun.

Comment

Running Board Material

As a follow up to my thread, The Ohio Museum is now the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum. Also take a look at or talk to people at the REOlds Museum in Lansing

Comment

I checked with all of my steel suppliers this week. Only one of the sales people even knew what I was talking about, most were too young to even remember the stuff. The one guy I did talk to that knew what I was after said he hadn't seen any in a good 20 years or better. I even checked with Ryerson who can normally supply me with the hard to find stuff and no luck with them either. My best supplier though went out of business last week. This surprises me as I had just ordered from them 2 weeks ago and no mention of closing down. Another 40 or 50 people hit the unemployment line. I hope this ends soon!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.