No announcement yet.

Mid-Engine Sandrail Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update. I picked up the brightwork yesterday afternoon. The polish on the aluminum parts and the chrome looks AWESOME.
    Console and shift linkage:

Exhaust, shock reservoir clamps and steering:

Transmission/engine cradle:

Comment

Suspension Bolts: The little details like machining the knurls off of the socket head cap screws takes more time than I thought but well worth the work.

Smaller bracket bolts and misc. fasteners:

Comment

Well I picked up the frame Friday night. The color looks great. I am not used to having someone else apply my paint, I usually paint all of my own stuff. However, considering that I didn't want to wait until it warmed up a little to paint it and I also decided to have it powder coated rather than paint for a little more durability I opted to have a local shop powder coat it. They did a great job and it is pretty consistant for a candy color. Mike.

Comment

Here is a picture with the chrome transmission cradle set into place.

Comment

Impressive all around. I like the stack o dimes mig welds.

Keep us updated with the progress.
            Miller 330 BPA - Sold
            Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
            Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
            Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
            Miller CP-300
            Miller Maxstar 150 STL
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller 135 Millermatic
            Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

Comment

That's an awesome looking sand rail!

Hopefully someday I'll get to build myself a project or two. I'd like to build a mid engine sidewinder buggy, most likely Honda powered.
              Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
              Miller 340A/BP
              Victor O/A torches
              Lincoln SP125
              Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
              78 GS1000
              82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Well, I was able to get caught up on clients work and start some final assembly over the weekend. I bent and polished the stainless steel brake and clutch lines then assembled the front suspension and mounted the transaxle.

The next major task it to wire the car and after that is should go fairly quick to do it mostly being just bolting things together. I have a few paying jobs the remainder of the week so I hope to start the electrical the first part of next week. Thanks for looking, Mike.

This picture shows the brake and clutch lines that were a PITA to get symmetrical and evenly spaced.

Comment

That thing is looking pretty sweet!

I agree that brake lines are a PITA. Especially when they are visible.

Cant wait to see it flying off a dune, or at least parked on some sand!
                  Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
                    That thing is looking pretty sweet!

I agree that brake lines are a PITA. Especially when they are visible.

Cant wait to see it flying off a dune, or at least parked on some sand!
                    Thanks. I can't wait either. I wish I had more time to work on it. I have been busy doing paying jobs the last few weeks or I could have it done by now. I am hoping to have it on the sand by mid-March. Mike.

Comment

I like your project and your workmanship is good.
                      Those tabs you need are available on the internet.
                      Bungs are available too.

Just Google tabs and brackets. You ell be surprised that you can get these tabs for a few dollars and save lots of money on grinding cutting to make them.
                      Here is a link to just one of those companies.http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/5969/
                      Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Great looking rail. Keep the pics coming.

I like the plow on your wheeler there too in the one pic. A must have tool.

Comment

i just checked this thread out for the first time... didn't realize what i been missin. Very sweet project. Once I get my own garage I've been wanting to build one of my own. If it comes out half as good as yours looks I'll be impressed with myself. thinking about using the whole cradle assembly, engine trans and axles from a 3.8L GM setup and making it into a rail. Keep Up the good work!

Comment

Thanks for everyones comments. Not much exciting happening on it for the last week or so. I have been busy working on paying jobs and haven't had any time for my own.

Last night, however, I did have a couple of hours free and I was able to start pulling some wires and started building the wiring harness. Mike.

Comment

On the home stretch!

I have been able to get a lot done over the weekend. The engine is in and the electrical is hooked up. I ran all of the wires then removed from the car to cover and form a complete harness.

All that is left to do at this point is install the turbo, plumbing to the turbo, boost guage and line, install brakes and bleed, mount floorboards and add fluids. After that is done it can go to the upholstery shop then ready to hit the dunes for some tweaking and fine tuning. Mike.

A shot of the rear. I love this view.

Looking forward.

Comment

Car on the lift for easier access for fuel line routing.

Shot of the engine bay.

Comment

Working...
                                X