Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-Engine Sandrail Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats sweet looking. Like the purple paint also...Bob

Comment

How many lbs per min on the turbo you decided on?

Blow thru carb?

Wideband and otoscope would do the trick for tuning. What compression and fuel?

Any idea what it weighs? Seems like it would be fun at the drag strip on a set of slicks

Good luck with your project!

Comment

Originally posted by dkGoodrich dot com View Post
        How many lbs per min on the turbo you decided on?

Blow thru carb?

Wideband and otoscope would do the trick for tuning. What compression and fuel?

Any idea what it weighs? Seems like it would be fun at the drag strip on a set of slicks

Good luck with your project!
        \

Not 100% on the boost as I have not had it in the car running yet. When I purchased the parts I sized the Turbo to supply approx. 12 lbs. boost max. I want to keep the engine alive as long as possible. I have talked to others that are running more but from the information that I have gathered it seems that much over about 14 lbs. or so they get fairly unreliable and tempermental.

Compression ratio is 8.5:1 with a Weber 40 IDF and the turbo is setup in the blow-through style. Fuel is 100 octane Sunoco, actually 110 Sunoco purple mixed 1:1 with 91 octane pump fuel to give me 100 octane.

The car is sitting at 900 lbs. right now. I am sure it will be just over that when wet and with the interior completed. Mike.

Comment

Nice build ..Keep it up...

Comment

SHE RUNS!!!!!! After a seven month build she runs.

I have had a couple of long nights trying to tie up the loose ends and get it ready to go to the upholstery shop.

Monday night I was able to get the brakes installed and bled along with the clutch bled.

Tuesday night I installed the Turbo and all of the related plumbing.

Last night I filled the transaxle and engine with lubricants and the coolant. I then put a couple gallons of Sunoco in the tank and hooked up the battery.

My stomach always gets tied into knots prior to firing up any project build. After checking over all electrical connections with a VOM and making sure all of the wiring was correct I fired her up. She only turned over about a dozen times or so then fired right to life. What a wonderful sound that rotary puts out.

I am so happy I don't think the wife can take much more of me. I am ready for it to go out for upholstery and then a night or two to install the seats and sidepanels and a ton of detailing then ready for the sand.

Thanks for all the comments and for those who have encouragingly followed this build-up. I have never posted a complete build-up from start to finish before and have been very happy and I have appreciated the comments. Mike.

Comment

those are really nice dimes you are stacking

Comment

Originally posted by tyrrellrunnells View Post
                those are really nice dimes you are stacking

Thanks.

Comment

She's done!!!

Well she's finally done!!!

After 15 plus years of planning and saving money & parts plus seven long months of work it is finally completed. I know it is not as nice as many of the super high dollar long travel 600+ HP LS powered cars that are being built nowadays but on my smaller budget I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Besides that I still think that many of the details and the overall workmanship is what is more appealing than just having a lot of expensive parts thrown at a car.

It should be a nice first car and I hope it is a head turner when it hits the dunes. Most of the people we go to the dunes with don't even look at a sandrail driving by unless it has 20+ inches of wheel travel and an LS motor hanging out the back. I have caught quite a bit of ridicule from some friends because I did not just bite the bullet and build a long travel rail with mega-horsepower but I cannot bring myself to refinance my house for a toy that I will drive 6-10 times a year. Thanks for looking, Mike.

View of polished side panels installed.

Comment

Interior shots. Check out the subtle design in the floorboard panels that my upholstery guy thought would look good and the cooler cover so I don't have to look at an ugly plain cooler. Mike.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome man. Know what your car has that LS cars don't? Much easier service. Alternator is on the top, turbo is to the side, only one manifold...try changing spark plugs on an LS rail. I think you'll be really happy with it once you get the chance to run it.

Let us know when you get it out on the dunes, better yet, get a video of it running!

Comment

Sweet project! I'd love one of these built for street.

You never considered a windshield? I guess if you trailer it to the dunes and wear a helmet then you wouldn't need it.

Many unique skills required in this build. I don't imagine you'd find too many guys that could do the design, machining, welding, fit up, engine work, electrical, tubing, etc etc required.
                        Last edited by Titleistfan; 05-02-2011, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was supposed to take it out with some friends for its debute/trial run this weekend, however, the weather did not want to cooperate. May is too hectic this year, the next time I will have an opportunity to take it out is the first weekend in June.

I will post some pics and maybe a video once it hits the sand. Mike.

Comment

SWEET!!!!

Can I have a ride in it?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.