Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeep Bumper

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Bumper

I have not posted on here for a while but here are a few pictures of the new front bumper that I just fabbed for my Jeep a couple months ago. I wanted to incorporate towbar attachment points for towing behind our coach which could also serve as recovery points. I also cut slits just below the towbar mounting locations to attach the safety cables as well as a female 4-pole trailer plug into the bumper so hooking/unhooking the Jeep behind our coach is a quick and simple task.

I built the bumper so it bolts to the inside of the frame horns(even though it is a unibody construction) rather than welde directly to the inner structure like many I have seen. The center section is 3/16" mild steel with the outer portions being 14 gauge mild steel. After the fabrication work was completed I had it powder coated in silver vein. It matches the side panels of the Jeep fairly well. The factory bumper is over 15" tall at the front whereas mine is only 7.5" and also dramatically improves the approach angle. Thanks for looking, Mike.

This is the starting point with the factory BS removed.

This picture is of the center section cut and tacked together.

This is with most of the rough fabrication completed and ready to remove to finish welding.

Jeep Bumper Continued

Here are the remaining pictures.

The next two pictures are of the completed bumper installed, just different angles.

This last picture is with it all hooked up to our coach heading out for the weekend.

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

gud work...... like it

Comment

I think it looks fantastic.
          Very well done!!

Comment

Thanks for everyones comments. Still after one full season of traveling and being towed behind the coach it looks like new. I am very happy with how it turned out and how the powder coating is holding up. It also added a lot of ground clearance for the approach angle when off-roading. Mike.

Comment

It's surprising that what most people consider insignificant and rapidly overlook will do to a vehicle's performance. Sometimes you just have to sit on your creeper in front of the vehicle and take a long hard look at it before doing any work. It seems like you did just that and came up with a simple solution that didn't cost a lot of money and raise your center of gravity. You not only added functionality to it but made it look great too. Again I must say well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
                It's surprising that what most people consider insignificant and rapidly overlook will do to a vehicle's performance. Sometimes you just have to sit on your creeper in front of the vehicle and take a long hard look at it before doing any work. It seems like you did just that and came up with a simple solution that didn't cost a lot of money and raise your center of gravity. You not only added functionality to it but made it look great too. Again I must say well done!
                Thank you. Last spring when we went to Moab I had noticed that there were a few steps that I was afraid of hitting my front bumper on. I had my son spot for me and the bumper would have hit long before the tires started to climb up and over several objects. I thought to myself "when I build my new bumper the approach angle is one thing I am going to address". Mike.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.