Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Spring Steel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Spring Steel

Gentlemen,

I just dropped my 540lb ADV bike (g e n t l y ) and bent the tube steel pannier frame. This is the 1/2" dia steel tube frame from which you hang the two pannier or saddlebag boxes from on an adventure-type motorcycle. This inspired the design and inclusion of spring steel struts to connect the pannier frame to the motorcycle frame in order to absorb the energy of a fall and eliminate the problem of bending the pannier frame.

My partner and I are totally greenhorns when it comes to welding. I would appreciate your expertise and advide. My questions are as follows:

Can you successfully weld carbon spring steel?

Can we expect a sound joint?

If so, what specific spring steel, welding techniques, preparations, and prescriptions should we observe?

Thanks so much,

Howard C Culbreth II

sure, you can weld it, but you will alter the mechanical properties of the steel in the area of the weld. Preheat and slow cool will increase your chances of getting a good weld.

you didn't mention what welding process you have access to, so its hard to make any specific recommendations.

also, the "welding discussion" forum is much more active so if you repost this there you will get more and better answers than the one i provided.

Comment

When you weld "spring steel" it isn't "spring steel" any more.

Lot more mumbo jumbo involved but that's the basic truth. The spring will have sprung.

Comment

The spring steel in the welded area (heat affected zone HAZ) will lose it's temper and act like mild steel. You should try to let it cool slowly to prevent the steel from hardening.

Comment

Hey Howard C,
          You received the correct response from SundownIII......

Yes, you can successfully repair/weld spring steel...... problem is that it's no longer "spring steel".

Yes, you can expect a sound joint...... problem is that it's no longer "spring steel".

Your last question can be answered by simply ordering a new part......

Denny

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.